Trek Super Commuter 7 - $3599

Grats on New Bike Day! Mind giving a review after you've ridden it a bit? Always nice to hear in someone's own words what its like.
Okay so I've had the bike for a while and I am loving every minute of it I was little hesitant about the price, but after riding for a while and And going up some good hills, takeing it for a longer rides about 30miles hillie Terrain I still had half battery left but I never went with turbo mode so maybe that helped :) I have been commuting to work every day even in the light rain, battery last me about 3-4 days my commute is about 3.5 miles one way. My car has been parked on the driveway for a while now and I don't miss it at all, I just take my bike everywhere I go. Bike is really fast and very stable at higher speeds about 30-40 miles going down hill. I think the only negative is that the bike is heavy but still ok to ride it with out motor on, just little bit more work but not bad you just have to adjust gears accordingly. Overall great purchase Thanks.

This past weekend, I bought a 2018 Trek Super Commuter+ 7 at my LBS, Helen's Cycle (greater Los Angeles). I plan to use the bike for my 25-mile commute (each way) from Pasadena to Santa Monica. In LA, because of the weather, you theoretically can commute most of the year.
The Commuter 7 seemed like the right bike for the price for this job.

Unfortunately, on my first commute attempt, the motor would shut itself off for no apparent reason a few minutes into riding. During my 25 miles to the office, my brand-new $3700 bicycle shut itself off more than a dozen times. Sometimes pressing the power button would turn it on and sometimes it wouldn't. Because I had to get to the office for work, I ended up pedaling all the time and pressing the "on" button repeatedly until it would power on. About half of my ride was done sans assist, so that's me pedaling a 50-pound bicycle. No bueno.

My office is near a branch of the Helen's hain, so I rolled into their service section and begged for help. "Two days old!" I cried, "and she keeps shutting herself off while I'm pedaling." The battery was fully charged. The rear wheel sensors were aligned properly. I removed and replaced the battery several times in case it was a loose connection. Nothing helped; she kept shutting off a few minutes into pedaling.

It's now Day 2 of my bike in their repair shop. A mechanic told me he was able to replicate my problem, which is always comforting (so it's not "just me"), though he says he's unsure of the cause of the problem. A salesman at the shop where I bought it called me to tell me that they just ran a software diagnostic on the head unit and it "showed problems". He also told me that they're calling Trek to discuss my bike's situation.

To his and the local chain's credit, the salesman said "We will take care of you one way or another". Which sounds like a threat when I type it here but I believe he meant that they'll repair my bicycle or give me a new replacement.

At the moment, I am hugely disappointed. A brand-new $3700 Trek from an established LBS chain shouldn't die on me during the second day of ownership. I think this is what's called "getting a lemon."

That said, when it was working, it was glorious. The pedal-assist is smooth, powerful (but not overwhelming), and fairly discreet-sounding. The bicycle looks cool. It handles well. The fat tires and carbon fork do a great job of smoothing out harshness while still being responsive. So, when Helen's fixes or replaces my bicycle, I will be happy, then. But for now, no bueno.

This past weekend, I bought a 2018 Trek Super Commuter+ 7 .... Unfortunately, on my first commute attempt, the motor would shut itself off for no apparent reason a few minutes into riding. During my 25 miles to the office, my brand-new $3700 bicycle shut itself off more than a dozen times.
I feel your pain, my brother. I hope they can resolve the problem very soon, and that your bike provides good and dependable performance from then on. My experience with Trek has been very good, and I'm confident that they will take good care of you. Keep in touch.
Dave Thomas (owner of Trek XM700)

UPDATE: The Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica fixed the problem with my Super Commuter+ 7 a few days after I dropped it off there. The problem? An internal loose connection where the battery sits. When I asked the mechanic if the problem likely stemmed "at the factory" or "during final assembly at" the LBS where I purchased it, he was very diplomatic in his response. He essentially implied that he thought that the problem was caused by inattentive or incorrect final assembly, not at the factory. But he was too polite to throw a fellow mechanic under the bus, which I can appreciate. The bike works fine now. For my commute, it's a great machine. ADDENDUM: Before I picked up my bike at the shop, I called the salesman at the LBS where I had bought it, and he was shockingly unhelpful, even rude. He said, "You dropped off your bike at another shop, so I don't know what's happening with it. You have to call them." I responded, "Okay, yeah, but it's a branch of the same local chain -- and you sold me the bike. You didn't think to call that branch to ask them the status of your customer's bike?" He replied, "I told you, You dropped it off at another store so it's not my problem." I'm pissed at this point in the phone call. I dropped $3700 on a new bicycle with no haggling and no special requests on my part -- talk about an easy sale for him! And he was treating me like I wasn't his customer anymore. I give the Helen's in Santa Monica 5/5 stars (at least for repairs) but I give the Helen's in Arcadia 2/5 stars (at least that salesman, "Ronald").

Stuff h
UPDATE: The Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica fixed the problem with my Super Commuter+ 7 a few days after I dropped it off there. The problem? An internal loose connection where the battery sits. When I asked the mechanic if the problem likely stemmed "at the factory" or "during final assembly at" the LBS where I purchased it, he was very diplomatic in his response. He essentially implied that he thought that the problem was caused by inattentive or incorrect final assembly, not at the factory. But he was too polite to throw a fellow mechanic under the bus, which I can appreciate. The bike works fine now. For my commute, it's a great machine. ADDENDUM: Before I picked up my bike at the shop, I called the salesman at the LBS where I had bought it, and he was shockingly unhelpful, even rude. He said, "You dropped off your bike at another shop, so I don't know what's happening with it. You have to call them." I responded, "Okay, yeah, but it's a branch of the same local chain -- and you sold me the bike. You didn't think to call that branch to ask them the status of your customer's bike?" He replied, "I told you, You dropped it off at another store so it's not my problem." I'm pissed at this point in the phone call. I dropped $3700 on a new bicycle with no haggling and no special requests on my part -- talk about an easy sale for him! And he was treating me like I wasn't his customer anymore. I give the Helen's in Santa Monica 5/5 stars (at least for repairs) but I give the Helen's in Arcadia 2/5 stars (at least that salesman, "Ronald").
Stuff happens. Good on you for staying calm. Having put a couple dozen bikes together, I’ve learned that the smallest of details can sour a riders experience. Great customers that stay calm make the job pleasant for a caring LBS. once again, good on you for your calm.

I purchased a Trek SC +7 in early July 2018 from Trek Midtown Sacramento. I wanted to give a shoutout to them, and to my salesman Ples. Since I also purchased an Electra Townie Commute 8i for my wife at the same time, they gave us a fantastic deal on both bikes. I have a 15 mile each way commute to my office and have been Ebike commuting 2 to 4 days per week when I don’t have pre scheduled appointments out of the office. On several days it’s been over 100 degrees in Sacramento in the evenings, so on those hot days, my wife who works nearby, comes by and I throw the bike on the rack to get home. The 15 mile one way commute takes me 53 to 55 minutes (driving takes me 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic). 12 miles of the 15 are on Sacramento’s beautiful American River Bike Trail, where the class 1 Trek SC +7 is legal (class 3’s are not). It is so pleasant to ride along the river and trees with no cars to worry about! I ride most, if not all, of the commute in “tour” mode, so only 1 or 2 of the 5 bars on the battery are used, each way. Since I saved a lot on the initial Ebike purchase, I went ahead and added a few important options/upgrades including Wellgo magnesium platform pedals, a Topeak seat bag, a Foldylock classic on the top tube, a side entry water bottle cage and Lenzyne mini pump on the seat tube, Ortlieb City Panniers, and a Kinect 2.1 BodyFloat seat post. I have also mounted a Niterider OLED 1100 headlight and Solas 100 taillight for increased visibility (my wife and I have been riding together at dusk/dark when it is cooler). Finally, I picked up some additional sensors so I could use my Garmin 810 to continually track my distance, cadence, heart rate, ride time, elapsed time, and time of day at a glance. I’ll be turning 65 next week, and have been an insulin dependant type-1 diabetic for over 35 years, so cycling has been a lifesaver for me for all of my adult life, and the Ebikes will enhance that and have been a great investment. It is so nice to be able to shower at home, then Ebike commute to work and not be overly tired and sweaty. Since it is summer, I do ride in shorts and a wicking t-shirt, then change into my work clothes, that I carry in my backpack, at the office. The Ebike is a way to ride a lot more, still get some very good exercise, save on gas and wear and tear on the car, and clear the cobs before arriving at work! One last thing, I got an extra adapter to connect my daughter’s Burley d’lite trailer and have had the pleasure of Ebike towing my 2 year old grandson on a couple of 20 mile rides, including riding up the 12% grade hill that leads up to my house. The Trek SC +7 is a joy to ride and has way exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:
Thanks for the summary of your Super Commuter experience. What are yours and or your wife’s opinion of her Townie Commute?

Thanks for the summary of your Super Commuter experience. What are yours and or your wife’s opinion of her Townie Commute?
Hi Jim: My wife loves her new Electra Townie Commute 8i. We have been riding together for the past 12 years on carbon fiber road bikes, with the associated clothing, clipless pedals and etc.. For the past several years she would dread climbing the 12% grade hill leading up to our home from the American River Bike Trail at the end of a ride, especially if the ride was more than 15 miles. She now loves to go out and ride the ebike, and that 12% hill, no problem. The Townie Commute is a relaxed geometry step through ebike with a comfortable saddle that she can ride in casual clothing. With both my Trek SC +7 and her Townie Commute being class 1 (with pedal assist up to 20mph), we can ride together, at the same pace (the Townie Commute has the same Bosch Performance Line Cruise 63 NM motor, with a 400 watt battery (the SC +7 has the 500 watt battery), and the batteries are interchangable between both ebikes). We added both a Niterider LED headlight and Solas taillight to her ebike as well. It's been hot this summer in Sacramento, so we have been taking evening rides of 15 miles in the last hour of daylight, when it is cooler. We added a cadence sensor and attached her Garmin 520, we added a handle bar mount water bottle cage and we added the Electra rear wicker baskets, so we can ride about 10 miles each way on the American River Bike Trail to the Historic Folsom Farmers Market on Saturday mornings to buy fruits and veggies. She is loving it. We are both in our mid 60's and this investment has been a game changer for both of us.

Hello Papa G, Thanks for your reply. You really have some nice options on your bikes. It’’s good you are happy with your bike choices. It’s money well spent. We are both in our early sixties and the ebike has reinvigorated my obsession with biking again. I used to do 52 mile RTC back in the 90’s during the summer but health issues subseqently made such extende activities difficult.
I also ride in the evening when I’m in Florida and looking forward to getting back there in the fall. The Niterider headlight is something I need to consider.
I love the townie go but as I ride longer distances the geometry of the Townie Commute seems to be a better option for longer rides. I test rode a Super Commuter and its a great bike. I do need to get a water bottle cage for the handle bar, and am not sure why the cage bosses are not included on the Townie.
The carbon fiber frames are great for road bikes. I almost bought a trek —2400? in the early 90’s but ended up finding a great deal on a Merlin titanium. That was a great bike too, and ended up eventually selling to a teacher in California who said he does long distance riding all summer.

I have been on the fence between the SC+7 to the SC+8. I did the comparison between the 7 and the 8. Side by side, I found both are close performance wise. I tested a SC +7 and fell in the one with the bike. I realized the $1,600 difference between the 2 bikes could not be justified. while being able to go 30 mph was a consideration, having a good endurance was very important. So, yesterday I purchased the SC+7. The bike should be in the bike shop by Thursday and I will have to wait until Friday due to work, etc to pick it up.

I can't wait for Friday.

Hello Papa G, Thanks for your reply. You really have some nice options on your bikes. It’’s good you are happy with your bike choices. It’s money well spent. We are both in our early sixties and the ebike has reinvigorated my obsession with biking again. I used to do 52 mile RTC back in the 90’s during the summer but health issues subseqently made such extende activities difficult.
I also ride in the evening when I’m in Florida and looking forward to getting back there in the fall. The Niterider headlight is something I need to consider.
I love the townie go but as I ride longer distances the geometry of the Townie Commute seems to be a better option for longer rides. I test rode a Super Commuter and its a great bike. I do need to get a water bottle cage for the handle bar, and am not sure why the cage bosses are not included on the Townie.
The carbon fiber frames are great for road bikes. I almost bought a trek —2400? in the early 90’s but ended up finding a great deal on a Merlin titanium. That was a great bike too, and ended up eventually selling to a teacher in California who said he does long distance riding all summer.
Hi Jim: It sounds like there are a lot of similarities in our riding histories. I live in Nor. Cal and was a pretty avid mtb'er and road bike rider as well. Headed up and rode the Flume Trail MTB (25 mile) ride for about 15 years straight up (with a group of as many as 20 riders) until about 7 or 8 years ago, also rode the Tour De Tahoe (72 mile) Road bike ride several times up until about 7 or 8 years ago as well. I was quite a bit older than most of the riders (many of whom were my son's friends) , so my motto was "I may be old, but I'm slow!" or "I'm in the 30/30/30 club." 30 years older, 30 pounds heavier and 30 minutes slower (getting up the Flume climb). Unfortunately, my wife never joined me on those rides, so the e-bike has really given us a means to ride together, which I really love to do. It also allows me to commute to work, which at 65 years of age, I dont know I would do otherwise. I reposted my comments about the Electra Townie Commute 8i on Court's review of that e-bike page, since it was more relevant there. Love the e-biking and hope to continue to ride a lot more!!!. Keep riding!!!

My SC+7 arrived and I picked it up today. Rode 4 miles then stopped because of the heat and humidity. But did do a good 4 miles. I am waiting until the battery is fully charged before I put the bike through its paces. I have not figured out yet if the walk mode is connected or not. If not, I will bring it back to the dealer and ask to have it connected. Will see how it performs on a longer distance ( 20 miles tomorrow). That should give me a good idea on this bike's performance, etc.

A couple of minor issues:

A. No owner's manual for the bike. I did receive the Bosch owner's manual, but it would be nice of Trek had a manual that talked about everything else on the bike. I READ the owner's manuals.

B. The cap for the battery charge on the bike fell off. I put is back on and will see if this is an issue.

C. It takes a bloody long time for the bike to charge. Can I get a better charger for this bike?

D. As others have said the pedals are a bit small. I have small feet, so will see if they need to be replaced.

E. The Garmin Edge 130 GPS fits nicely on the bike.

One more thing to add. This bike has the Bosch Performance Line Drive System, Not the Performance Line CX as stated on Trek's web site. While there is a disclaimer they reserve the right to change components, that is kind of cheesy. It would be the same as a new car web saying a car has 230 horsepower but they reserve the right to change components, and it actually has 90 horsepower.

Sorry to hear that Harry-Perhaps the sales rep Ronald was having a bad day or you caught him at the wrong time. No way to treat a paying customer, or for that matter any customer. Most of the Trek dealers I have visited in my area are very patient, nice, friendly and willing to help with any questions, even if you do not make a purchase on the spot. No sales pitch either. Their bikes do a good job of selling themselves. Perhaps it is better to stick with Helen in the long run, you will be a much happier customer.

I had an issue where the owner of a bike shop became indignant and irate, but later his salesman called me back and apologized for his behavior. From that point forward the guy was very cool and professional and I ended up purchasing 2 E-bikes from him. Sometimes this kind of thing leaves you with a bad image however, if you re-visit, you may be surprised. Good Luck!

After 100 miles of riding on my Trek commuter 7, I know I made the right decision. The bike is very solid and sturdy and had no problem climbing some step hills that are about 1200 ft in elevation (Turbo). I am in my mid 40's and it was great to be able to paddle without stopping until I've reached the top. My only complaint about the bike is the rear rack is not design for the different type of panniers. I purchased a Ortielb bag and will need to modify it to fit. Overall I am very satisfied with the bike!

You've got that right. I test rode both the 7 and the 8S back to back and they are awesome machines. The geometry on both bikes was an interesting comparison also. Even though the 7 sat a bit higher off the ground, I was more comfortable on that bike vs the 8S. That said, I would still opt for the 8S due to the better components which gave me much better ride quality. I would have to tweak the riding position with an adjustable stem to get the comfort I had on the commuter 7 though. Trek overall is really solid on many levels.

My SC+7 arrived and I picked it up today. Rode 4 miles then stopped because of the heat and humidity. But did do a good 4 miles. I am waiting until the battery is fully charged before I put the bike through its paces. I have not figured out yet if the walk mode is connected or not. If not, I will bring it back to the dealer and ask to have it connected. Will see how it performs on a longer distance ( 20 miles tomorrow). That should give me a good idea on this bike's performance, etc.

A couple of minor issues:

A. No owner's manual for the bike. I did receive the Bosch owner's manual, but it would be nice of Trek had a manual that talked about everything else on the bike. I READ the owner's manuals.

B. The cap for the battery charge on the bike fell off. I put is back on and will see if this is an issue.

C. It takes a bloody long time for the bike to charge. Can I get a better charger for this bike?

D. As others have said the pedals are a bit small. I have small feet, so will see if they need to be replaced.

E. The Garmin Edge 130 GPS fits nicely on the bike.

Hi Eliot3b4. You've hit a couple of the weak spots, I agree that an owner's manual would be nice, but I am not surprised it wasn't included. The battery charge cap is not well designed. While riding the other day, I saw that I had left mine open, so I reached down with my left hand to close it, then looked down again to see if it was properly closed, and saw that it had fallen off, guess I should have stopped or used my foot to close it. Fortunately I doubled back and found it. I reinserted it, but it is loose and will likely fall off again soon. Charge time is slow, but after purchasing other upgrades, I didn't really want to spend another $190 for a 4 amp charger. I have found that charging the bike right after riding 30 miles or so is a good plan, so the bike has enough charge for my next ride at all times. The pedals that came on the bike were just way too small. The Wellgo magnesium pedals and the Kinect Bodyfloat 2.1 suspension seatpost that Court mentioned are great. I bought my bike one month ago and now have ridden over 500 miles on it. I still have two issues. First, my preferred cadence is around 80 rpm. To ride right at a sustained 19.5 mph (which is just slightly under the speed limiter) puts me at a 90 cadence (which is a little too fast) on one cog and a 75 cadence (which is a little too slow) on the other. I think the 10 speed cog jumps a little too far between the gears at the 19.5 mph speed I want to maintain. Upgrading to an 11 speed system with tighter ratios between cogs might solve this, but seems like a lot of trouble and a boatload of money. Since the SC +7 came with a 17t sprocket at the motor, I went ahead and ordered an 18t, a 19t and a 20t to see if I could find a ratio that gets me closer to the 80 cadence at 19.5 mph? Second, the grips are nice, but having only one hand position is not great. I think adding a pair of Ergon GP3 grips with bar ends would be nice. These are minor gripes that can be overcome, overall the SC +7 is great.

Last edited:
Hello Papa G. Thanks for the insight. Owner's manuals are an important source of official information from the company. I will pursue this with Trek, since they have owners manuals for other bikes. I'll wait a bt before I think about changing the pedals. One change for sure I will make is the seat. In my older age guess I look for comfort. I agree the SC+7 is a very nice bike. It is a very stable bike. More tomorrow as I have ridden this now 10 miles, and had to stop due to the thunderstorms and heavy rain in my area. I hope to have a better evaluation on this bike tomorrow.

Back