Trek Super Commuter 7 - $3599

For anyone interested, I have attached the Sprocket Teeth / Speed / Cadence chart I prepared to determine what effect on speed and cadence changing the stock 18 tooth sprocket to a 20 tooth sprocket would have. This allows me to ride at a comfortable cadence (80+- rpm) at just under the pedal assistance speed limiter. The stock gearing (with 18 tooth sprocket) is probably best for the majority, but if the stock gearing is a miss for you, this is a fairly affordable solution. Here is a good "How To" link for changing sprockets on the Bosch Performance drive from Scooteretti. They also sell the proper Bosch spider tool and Connex sprockets.

Papa G-

Thanks for posting the video. Will from Scooteretti is one of the best and a great 'go to' guy for any E-bike questions you have. He has helped many on this forum including me.

Papa G-

Thanks for posting the video. Will from Scooteretti is one of the best and a great 'go to' guy for any E-bike questions you have. He has helped many on this forum including me.
Just add a Badass box and the 20 mph limit is history. Works wonderfully on my 2018 Powerfly 5!
Just add a Badass box and the 20 mph limit is history. Works wonderfully on my 2018 Powerfly 5!
Thanks for the feedback. My issue was with the stock gearing. Since most of my riding is done on the Sacramento American River Bike trail, with a posted 15 mph speed limit (which most riders don't obey), and where Class 1 e-bikes are legal (Class 3's are not), I am already pushing it at 19.5 mph. If my more of my riding was on the street, I would go for a Class 3 with the greater 28 mph motor.

Thanks for the feedback. My issue was with the stock gearing. Since most of my riding is done on the Sacramento American River Bike trail, with a posted 15 mph speed limit (which most riders don't obey), and where Class 1 e-bikes are legal (Class 3's are not), I am already pushing it at 19.5 mph. If my more of my riding was on the street, I would go for a Class 3 with the greater 28 mph motor.
Hey Velome. Does the box you have affect the Purion display (ie. distance, MPH, range and etc.)? Does the system throw any error messages?

I feel your pain, my brother. I hope they can resolve the problem very soon, and that your bike provides good and dependable performance from then on. My experience with Trek has been very good, and I'm confident that they will take good care of you. Keep in touch.
Dave Thomas (owner of Trek XM700)
I have heard great things about trek.. but my experience with my dealer has been terrible... they say , because their computer diagnostic shows no issues, that it's all in my head, they refuse to actually ride the bike to experience the issues, and say there's all these hoops to jump through before trek will open a warranty claim... I've been dealing with them since October will absolutely zero results and no communication on how they will resolve it... it's been frustrating.
But I LOVE the e bike when it works right !!! And my normal trek bikes have always been fabulous !

I have heard great things about trek.. but my experience with my dealer has been terrible... they say , because their computer diagnostic shows no issues, that it's all in my head, they refuse to actually ride the bike to experience the issues, and say there's all these hoops to jump through before trek will open a warranty claim... I've been dealing with them since October will absolutely zero results and no communication on how they will resolve it... it's been frustrating.
But I LOVE the e bike when it works right !!! And my normal trek bikes have always been fabulous !

Sorry about your issues with your Trek. I have had pretty good luck with all of my Trek dino-bikes through the years. For your dealer to tell you that, seems like they are not interested in helping a customer at all! If I were in your shoes, I would start notifying other Trek dealers in your area to see if they could give you better service. I would also reach out to corporate directly until the right person gets the info to push it through and give assistance. Then, if all else fails, file a claim with the local BBB agency and possibly Consumer Affairs and see if they will assist. You purchased a $3600.00 dollar E-bike from them, and they are simply giving sub-standard service and denying anything is wrong with the bike when you know there is. Just b/c diagnostic software does not pick up the problem and runs error free, does not mean there also could be a deeper mechanical problem present, the diagnostics does not pick up. My opinion. Good luck!

Call Trek in WI. And give them a talking to. That worked for me. My customized Trek Pure needed a simple chain guard bracket replaced. It took weeks and finally was resolved by corporate.

Next, poke Ravi. He may have some insight.

I also helped a customer sort a Bosch issue by posting on an EU eBike site. Lots more Bosch users there.

Is there a post regarding your issues? Looked briefly,but didn’t find.

Possibly looking at the Trek Super Commuter 7. Have not had an ebike before, and kind of thinking I might miss a throttle assist. Anyone else feel the same or it does not really matter.

Just an update to an earlier post. I finally changed out my front sprocket from the stock 18T to a 20T and hit the 19.5 mph at 80 cadence I was looking for. I prefer this gearing. Rode 27.5 miles today with no issues, and no error messages! Set the tires to 40 psi (temp was 77), and liked that too.
View attachment 26980
Are the tires satisfactory for mild off road use. Dirt roads, etc?

Are the tires satisfactory for mild off road use. Dirt roads, etc?
Regarding a throttle, the Super Commuter +7 doesn't have one, but it does have the Bosch Performance Line Drive which is "Class 1" and is allowed on most bike trails. Iv'e been riding it for about 9 months and don't miss having a throttle. As far as off road riding, it is a commuter bike with fenders and no suspension. With the wide Schwalbe Super Moto tires it will do fine on a dirt roads, as well as the paved roads it was designed for, but it really isn't set up for rough terrain, single track and etc..

Last edited:
This is a really nice bike for the money. So glad to see this version of the Super Commuter.
Some of the components are downgraded from the SC8+ but they are still adequate and for the money/service, this seems like a great commuter bike.

1365000_2018_A_2_Super_Commuter_7
Especially with a $1400 price difference from the 8.

Especially with a $1400 price difference from the 8.
In addition to the major savings, I went with the Class 1 SC +7 instead of the Class 3 SC 8 because I commute to work on the American River Bike Trail where Class 3 e-bikes are not allowed.

Regarding a throttle, the Super Commuter +7 doesn't have one, but it does have the Bosch Performance Line Drive which is "Class 1" and is allowed on most bike trails. Iv'e been riding it for about 9 months and don't miss having a throttle. As far as off road riding, it is a commuter bike with fenders and withe the wide Schwalbe Super Moto tires will do fine on a dirt roads as well as the paved roads it was designed for, but it really isn't set up for rough terrain,.

FYI- Apparently there is a European version of this bike with a class 3 motor sold as STD equipment. One of the posters on this forum claimed that he purchased his Trek with this option. Nice upgrade.

Just a quick update. I took my 2018 Trek Super Commuter +7 into Trek Midtown Sacramento last week and had them update to the latest Bosch software. They also input that I was running a 20t sprocket, activated the "walk" mode and activated the "lights on/off" feature.

I got a SC7 in early May...my first E bike. I did very little research (my bad) and trusted the expertise of the Trek vendor which turns out to be very little. Soon after I discovered this site buyer’s remorse set in. Adding to the remorse was finding another shop in town advertising the SC8 for $4100. My bike had a few mechanical problems from indifferent assembly at one of their other stores. My store quickly remedied these when I drew their attention to it but I got a blank stare when I asked them to enable the walk mode via software.
All this said I love the bike though I wish I would’ve explored more options...I’m in the country outside of town and the Dual sport (or something from Specialized at a competitor’s) might have been a better choice. Initially I was leery of the fat city tires but the stability of the Moto X’s down hill, and along the broken sides of the third class lanes has been impressive. I have the largest frame which was probably too large for my short-legged 6’3” old bones. I upgraded the grips with extenders and thanks to this site got an ARS standard seat which was a big improvement though the saddle that came with the bike was an improvement in itself over what came with my old Giant CoMax. I’ve also added a Grateful Red blinker to my seatpost bag since the static fender lights seem insufficient to me especially since I’m in and out shade.
I’ve put 850miles on it which is a lot for me.
At 3K I’ll be shopping for a class three with one of the new systems. Hopefully it’ll be a little quieter and a bit lighter. But I’m happy nevertheless.

Last edited:
I got a SC7 in early May...my first E bike. I did very little research (my bad) and trusted the expertise of the Trek vendor which turns out to be very little. Soon after I discovered this site buyer’s remorse set in. Adding to the remorse was finding another shop in town advertising the SC8 for $4100. My bike had a few mechanical problems from indifferent assembly at one of their other stores. My store quickly remedied these when I drew their attention to it but I got a blank stare when I asked them to enable the walk mode via software.
All this said I love the bike though I wish I would’ve explored more options...I’m in the country outside of town and the Dual sport (or something from Specialized at a competitor’s) might have been a better choice. Initially I was leery of the fat city tires but the stability of the Moto X’s down hill, and along the broken sides of the third class lanes has been impressive. I have the largest frame which was probably too large for my short-legged 6’3” old bones. I upgraded the grips with extenders and thanks to this site got an ARS standard seat which was a big improvement though the saddle that came with the bike was an improvement in itself over what came with my old Giant CoMax. I’ve also added a Grateful Red blinker to my seatpost bag since the static fender lights seem insufficient to me especially since I’m in and out shade.
I’ve put 850miles on it which is a lot for me.
At 3K I’ll be shopping for a class three with one of the new systems. Hopefully it’ll be a little quieter and a bit lighter. But I’m happy nevertheless.
I am happy to hear you are enjoying your SC7. The single best upgrade (IMO) is a suspension seatpost. I put a Kinekt 2.1 on my bike and it was a game changer. They are expensive, but something you should be able to move forward onto your next e-bike as well. https://cirruscycles.com/products/kinekt-2-1-aluminum

Good idea..I’ve sent my questions to Kinect as far as weight and height of seat post

The choice of seat posts has me confused...do I want the 350mm or the 420...I do have the seat up fairly high for leg extension

Last edited:
Good idea..I’ve sent my questions to Kinect as far as weight and height of seat post

The choice of seat posts has me confused...do I want the 350mm or the 420...I do have the seat up fairly high for leg extension
I chose the longer seat post for my 2018 55cm SC7. It is an e-bike so the added weight for a little extra length won't hurt, worst case you could probably cut excess off with a pipe cutter if it were too long. I recommend that you pull out your original seat post, measure it, and order one as close to that length as possible. Also went with the orange springs which are stiffer. I didn't want to get a pogo effect when pedaling at a higher RPM. I also got one of these for my wife's 2018 Electra Townie Commute 8i. I made the mistake of ordering with purple springs which were too soft and had to change them out for black springs. If the springs are too soft you will have to adjust the preload too much and that will reduce the amount of travel. If you are around 200 lbs, I'd go with the orange springs They now offer an even stiffer XL setup for heavier riders. There is a photo of my SC7 with the Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat post on page 4 of this post.

Last edited:
I appreciate your detailed response as well as the general expertise on this site much of it beyond my present needs or understanding. I am going to order from Amazon and haven’t seen any choices as far as springs go. I am215lbs so think stiffer the better. I’ll also mention I expect to keep my SC7 and, when new models rear their pretty heads augment my class 1 with a 3. The information on EBR suggests to me room for both. For example the evolving laws on trails.

I appreciate your detailed response as well as the general expertise on this site much of it beyond my present needs or understanding. I am going to order from Amazon and haven’t seen any choices as far as springs go. I am215lbs so think stiffer the better. I’ll also mention I expect to keep my SC7 and, when new models rear their pretty heads augment my class 1 with a 3. The information on EBR suggests to me room for both. For example the evolving laws on trails.
If you look on the Cirrus Cycles website (from my link above) it will recommend what springs are correct based upon your weight. The stiffest springs they offer (other than the XL) are "Orange" and if I remember correctly, those are for riders weighing 200 - 250 lbs. That is what I bought and based upon your weight is probably what you would get. The springs are preinstalled in the seat post you order, so you want to be sure to make the right selection. I think you will enjoy it.

After 100 miles of riding on my Trek commuter 7, I know I made the right decision. The bike is very solid and sturdy and had no problem climbing some step hills that are about 1200 ft in elevation (Turbo). I am in my mid 40's and it was great to be able to paddle without stopping until I've reached the top. My only complaint about the bike is the rear rack is not design for the different type of panniers. I purchased a Ortielb bag and will need to modify it to fit. Overall I am very satisfied with the bike!

Back