Trek Super Commuter 7 - $3599

Since you don't mention any, I'm assuming you had no issues with the new gearing. Do you attribute that to the bikespeed or does the stock setup allow for the changes?

Is the sole purpose of the bikespeed to allow for higher assisted speeds or does it offer other functionality?
No issues with the gearing at all I have the same setup on an xm700 with 8000 miles.
The bike speed just removes the speed limit it does not make the bike more powerful it just allows the motor to assist at any speed.

I like that idea tho I'm not a fan of "fast". Do you know if the bikespeed has anything to do with the gearing working with the Bosch? I've seen some reports of the controller throwing errors.

I like that idea tho I'm not a fan of "fast". Do you know if the bikespeed has anything to do with the gearing working with the Bosch? I've seen some reports of the controller throwing errors.

The gearing has nothing to do with the tuning.
You can change your front chainring with no worries about error messages.

If you're a member of Facebook, you might try messaging them. They were very responsive to my questions.
Still no reply from Bosch USA, but I am waiting for a chainring tool I ordered, and will change the front sprocket to a 19T (or 20T) when it arrives. Since most of my riding (about 95%) is on the American River Bike Trail in Sacramento where Class 1 ebikes are legal, I am not looking for higher speed pedal assist, I am just looking to dial in the cadence/speed to 80rpm/19.5mph. I don't have a Facebook account.

The gearing has nothing to do with the tuning.
You can change your front chainring with no worries about error messages.
Hey Luv2ride: Thanks for the input, I am going to change out the existing 17T front sprocket on my 2018 SC+7 to a 19T (or 20T) once a Bosch chainring tool I ordered arrives.

The American River trail is quite nice. I took a Catrike Expedition out on a test ride there. There was a bridge I went over that had a homeless encampment on one side and going through that was a bit sketchy but a really great ride.

I am getting conflicting information from 2 different bike shops. One bike shop is saying keep he tire pressure on my Super Commuter 7+ at 30-35PSI and the other is sighting 50 PSI. It is Maine and the temps right now are around 34to45 degrees (f) when riding my bike. Any thoughts?

I am getting conflicting information from 2 different bike shops. One bike shop is saying keep he tire pressure on my Super Commuter 7+ at 30-35PSI and the other is sighting 50 PSI. It is Maine and the temps right now are around 34to45 degrees (f) when riding my bike. Any thoughts?
Tire pressure depends on a lot of variables. Your weight, road or trail conditions, outside temperature, handling preference, if you have a suspension seatpost and etc.. I weigh 200, ride on fairly good paved roads/trails, live in No. Cal where my riding temps range between 50 and 90 degrees, I have a body float suspension seatpost and like quicker handling response, so I prefer to run tire pressure of 45 to 50 psi.

Tire pressure depends on a lot of variables. Your weight, road or trail conditions, outside temperature, handling preference, if you have a suspension seatpost and etc.. I weigh 200, ride on fairly good paved roads/trails, live in No. Cal where my riding temps range between 50 and 90 degrees, I have a body float suspension seatpost and like quicker handling response, so I prefer to run tire pressure of 45 to 50 psi.
Given that the Supercommunter does not have any suspension, front or rear, the Super Moto X tires are there as the only way to soften the ride. I would keep them at 30-35 psi simply to provide a smoother ride. Depending on your weight and the air temp you might want to add 5 lbs, but no more than that.

Even if you add a suspension seat post like the Kinekt Body Float, I would keep the tires at that pressure. Although they will have less rolling resistance than if they were kept at higher pressure, you will also get less shock and rebound from flaws in the road and thus less energy loss from road surface impacts.

As you can see, it is a matter of personal preference, I would recommend riding at different pressiures to find what works for you. After riding road bikes for 25 years at 110 -120 psi, I am probably more used to a firm ride. I may try a little less pressure myself to see how I like it. I rode my SC +7 for about 500 miles without the Kinekt Body Float and about 1,000 miles since. Regardless of the tire pressure, but especially if you prefer riding at a higher psi, I strongly recommend the Body Float as makes a huge difference in riding comfort and reduced fatigue.

At 30PSI I'm riding on a tire that could roll off in a hard corner.

I'm about a buck fifty-five and use about 30psi. Dampens road and sidewalk bumps. Very comfortable. Don't risk pinch flats by riding up curbs and such.

Just an update to an earlier post. I finally changed out my front sprocket from the stock 18T to a 20T and hit the 19.5 mph at 80 cadence I was looking for. I prefer this gearing. Rode 27.5 miles today with no issues, and no error messages! Set the tires to 40 psi (temp was 77), and liked that too.
IMG_0465.JPG

Last edited:
Bought a super commuter + 7 three weeks ago - all well (in fact, very pleasing) until 2 days ago. The beading of the front tyre tore away over about 2 inches - tube herniating through.
No replacement available for 6 weeks!! (I'm in Australia)
The store say they will put a MTB tire on to keep me on the road.

Incredibly disappointing, bot the failure and the lack of spare parts (Schwalbe Moto X). The bike has been only ridden for 250 km on paved bike paths to and from work.

I expected much better for the $...

Bought a super commuter + 7 three weeks ago - all well (in fact, very pleasing) until 2 days ago. The beading of the front tyre tore away over about 2 inches - tube herniating through.
No replacement available for 6 weeks!! (I'm in Australia)
The store say they will put a MTB tire on to keep me on the road.

Incredibly disappointing, bot the failure and the lack of spare parts (Schwalbe Moto X). The bike has been only ridden for 250 km on paved bike paths to and from work.

I expected much better for the $...

What pressure are you running the tires at? If you run it at a lower pressure that could have been the cause of the bead issue. It also could just be a manufacturing defect.

It is annoying that the Super Moto X tiresare hard to come by, I actually ordered one when they were in stock, even though I didn't need one, simply because I knew they would probably be out of stock when I did eventually need one. I think the stock issues are due to ebikes gaining in popularity, and the Super Moto X being the stock tire on many different ebikes. Its an unfortunate issue, but hopefully it gets better.

Stuff happens! Great tires but sometimes we get the shaft and not the elevator. I know it's painful, but Trek will likely take good care. Relax, enjoy and let the replacement tire allow you to ride until the replacement arrives.

Reactions: caw
Stuff happens! Great tires but sometimes we get the shaft and not the elevator. I know it's painful, but Trek will likely take good care. Relax, enjoy and let the replacement tire allow you to ride until the replacement arrives.
I have to agree with you Thomas - you were 100% correct. Trek have solved my problem; they found the right tyre, and I'm back on the road. That's an outstanding level of service. Couldn't be happier - now looking forward to many many ks (or miles :)) of cycling enjoyment!!

For anyone interested, I have attached the Sprocket Teeth / Speed / Cadence chart I prepared to determine what effect on speed and cadence changing the stock 18 tooth sprocket to a 20 tooth sprocket would have. This allows me to ride at a comfortable cadence (80+- rpm) at just under the pedal assistance speed limiter. The stock gearing (with 18 tooth sprocket) is probably best for the majority, but if the stock gearing is a miss for you, this is a fairly affordable solution. Here is a good "How To" link for changing sprockets on the Bosch Performance drive from Scooteretti. They also sell the proper Bosch spider tool and Connex sprockets.

Attachments

• 2018 Trek Super Commuter Gear Ratio Speed Cadence Chart.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 454
Back