Trek Rail 5 (2021) thoughts

So after more than a week of no riding because of a nasty virus (lots of coughing), I finally got out yesterday for a ride on the Rail. I love the bike and am learning more every time I ride it. It’s clear this is more EMTB than I’ll ever need but will take me anywhere I want to go.
Still hearing a bit of that light raspy rubbing of what I’m guessing is the rotor touching the pad now and then. What I don’t understand is that its a very inconsistent occurrence. I’m going to talk with my Trek LBS (who has been awesome even though I didn’t buy the Rail from him) about finding the noise and about tightening up the suspension a bit.
Beyond that, the bike is awesome and climbs like a mountain goat. Amazingly, my bum shoulder isn’t an issue on this bike, I assume because of the full suspension.
I bought a side entry bottle cage and small bottle (7”/ 20 oz) because the top-down load approach is just not gonna work. Got a Wild Man handlebar bag that is larger than I need to carry tools/tube/patch kit/phone. Also got a cheap set of fenders which will only get used when really necessary.View attachment 91109
I'll play little 😈 on your shoulder and whisper "keep it!" in your ear.
It obviously brings you joy and who cares if it isn't the best use of funds or 100% practical.... well as long as you're not turning ticks on the boulevard to put food on the table 🙃
My impression is that you're a good guy and a little self indulgence is well deserved...Not to mention it is one great looking bike! Enjoy! (keep in mind the source of that comment 😈)

I'll play little 😈 on your shoulder and whisper "keep it!" in your ear.
It obviously brings you joy and who cares if it isn't the best use of funds or 100% practical.... well as long as you're not turning ticks on the boulevard to put food on the table 🙃
My impression is that you're a good guy and a little self indulgence is well deserved...Not to mention it is one great looking bike! Enjoy! (keep in mind the source of that comment 😈)
Yeah, it’s a keeper until I need the money or can’t ride it anymore! I’d be a starving old curmudgeon if I had to try turning tricks.😩
Truth be told, I’ve spent the vast majority of what I sold my sweet Miata for earlier this year on the ebike collection! Great trade off in my opinion!

Attachments

• BD5C9965-467C-4DEC-8901-A377C58098C8.jpeg
    BD5C9965-467C-4DEC-8901-A377C58098C8.jpeg
    563.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Back in the day , my neighbour had an at1 / dt 125 . Baby brother ? I spent many hours blasting around paddocks on that thing. In fact, the next 10 years involved several blue smoke yamahas - all small bore ( dt 175/200, it 200 , wr 200) . I've never owned a big bore blue smoker
I don’t recall any blue smoke but that sucker had a ton of grunt! Like our fleet of ebikes!

Yeah, it’s a keeper until I need the money or can’t ride it anymore! I’d be a starving old curmudgeon if I had to try turning tricks.😩
Truth be told, I’ve spent the vast majority of what I sold my sweet Miata for earlier this year on the ebike collection! Great trade off in my opinion!
I know exactly what you mean. I'm often asked.. where's the vette? and to be honest, nowadays I much prefer a bike ride.
That said.. Beautiful day here and I already got my 20mi on the bike done with a nice stop in the park for breakfast. Off to see mom now and it is a nice ride with the top down 🏎️

Update…havent been ‘Riding the Rail‘ much but did clean/lube the chain/cassette recently and all goes well.
That said, in my effort to equip it for a wider variety of use I attached an easily removal handlebar bag. Unfortunately, it appears to have caused some abrasion to the rear hydraulic brake cable. Don’t think it’s serious but not gonna use it unless I cover/cushion the damaged area.

Attachments

• 70B0A7CF-18C1-49AC-B0FC-708A4D47D7F4.jpeg
    70B0A7CF-18C1-49AC-B0FC-708A4D47D7F4.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Update…havent been ‘Riding the Rail‘ much but did clean/lube the chain/cassette recently and all goes well.
That said, in my effort to equip it for a wider variety of use I attached an easily removal handlebar bag. Unfortunately, it appears to have caused some abrasion to the rear hydraulic brake cable. Don’t think it’s serious but not gonna use it unless I cover/cushion the damaged area.
After talking with my Trek guy who is an mtb’er, he assured me that the cable was fine as long as I took the bag that did the damage off the Rail! So now it’s gone (as well as the seat bag)!
7D7D1FB5-6145-4ACF-958D-93A6CC7C9341.jpeg

when you start researching frame triangle bags, be aware most of the bike packing bags are designed for hardtails with much larger front triangles ( no rear shock) . I found even xs bags were a tight on fugly, but it's surprising how much they accomodate.

There are lots of articles on making your own, plus a few high end manufacturers who custom build in exotic materials

I covered my frame in pvc tape to stop scratching ( and hide the rainbow paintwork) , it's used for protecting aluminium windows during construction, comes off without leaving any residue and a LOT cheaper than invisiframe. https://tapesonline.com.au/collections/adhesive-tapes/products/black-protection-tape

After talking with my Trek guy who is an mtb’er, he assured me that the cable was fine as long as I took the bag that did the damage off the Rail! So now it’s gone (as well as the seat bag)!View attachment 95402
That is one smart lookin’ ride Dallant! Remove the kickstand when you feel that you’re good and ready to tackle singletrack. 👍

I use a Blackburn corner frame bag to contain my EDC inside my Trance's small triangle and it’s worked quite well with no downside to the rear suspension. I’ve also applied 3M paint protection along the top tube as well as a section of the downtube and the battery for added abrasion resistance. I used film left over from a previous project.

IMG_20210401_2018437.jpg

That is one smart lookin’ ride Dallant! Remove the kickstand when you feel that you’re good and ready to tackle singletrack. 👍

I use a Blackburn corner frame bag to contain my EDC inside my Trance's small triangle and it’s worked quite well with no downside to the rear suspension. I’ve also applied 3M paint protection along the top tube as well as a section of the downtube and the battery for added abrasion resistance. I used film left over from a previous project.

View attachment 95500
Thanks. Yeah I have some film over the top tube and a small bag (again cheap Wildman) on top that does hold my phone a few tools and a small patch kit. I’m afraid the top triangle is way too small for a triangle bag as I’d never get my already small water bottle out of its cage.
14CFB82F-85A8-4D4B-9844-5E41E7420883.jpeg

Recent other uses and musings…
Got a fantastic full service weekend from the Rail 5. Rode 27 miles of the Root River paved trail in S.E. Minnesota. Followed up the next day with a great series of mtb trails in N.E. Iowa including some single track. Being a emtb noob I have a lot to learn but the Rail did a great job of climbing effortlessly and keeping me well connected to the rocks and roots. The Tektro brakes got a major workout and did everything I could have expected from them, which was a lot in many sections!
I affixed a small Wildman top tube bag recently and it worked very well holding my Pro BIke Tool mini tool set, a Park patch kit/levers and my iPhone. It was out of the way, solidly attached and protected everything, even when I fell over several times. I also attached a Pro Bike Tool air pump to the water cage and again, it stayed put without scratching anything.
My noob status was the reason I went down, more from lack of momentum and inexperience than any other reason. Both the Rail and I came out of it with no damage! I did have to do the “Walk of Shame” as I got lost and also decided I was on trail that was (for now) well above my pay grade!
07A94FA6-083C-4F1F-8BD7-4B23A784F078.jpeg

Attachments

• 7AE75C45-A847-49BF-ACBE-DB282DA347C5.jpeg
    7AE75C45-A847-49BF-ACBE-DB282DA347C5.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 0C3C275D-04DB-49AC-8FC7-F36D64D197CB.jpeg
    0C3C275D-04DB-49AC-8FC7-F36D64D197CB.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 209
  • F65BE80E-9869-4383-97CA-31776A87BD30.jpeg
    F65BE80E-9869-4383-97CA-31776A87BD30.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 3804BC28-9F79-4111-8B79-6C24E65E58D1.jpeg
    3804BC28-9F79-4111-8B79-6C24E65E58D1.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 218
  • C19D3CCF-BCB3-427A-A64A-B8F69C7183C7.jpeg
    C19D3CCF-BCB3-427A-A64A-B8F69C7183C7.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 219
Worry not. Same happened to me twice recently. Only I didn't ride an FS e-MTB :)
I’m not worried. Actually very glad I didn’t get injured or screw the Rail up somehow. The most concerned was when I rolled down the hill a bit and the bike had a sizable stick stuck between the brake rotor and the spokes. I carefully extracted it and carefully walked it back up the hill. 😎

Dallant - Time for an Update!

It's interesting how we trade things for ebikes. In my case, moving last year, i sold my beloved Kubota BX and Africa Twin plus an extra scooter to fund my great ebike spending spree of 2021.

Back