Trek Rail 5 (2021) thoughts

Dallant

Region
USA
I lucked out and found a Trek Rail 5 EMTB on the internet this last weekend. Times being what they are, there were only two Rail 5 mediums in the national system for the sports chain where I found it. The other was a Sheel’s store in Dallas, Texas, (as of last Friday) in case you're interested.😎
The medium is a larger ebike (with 29 X 2.6” tires) than I expected, but I like it a lot so far. The shop set the suspension for me using the Trek Suspension app. The bike is decidedly larger than my Allant+7. What riding I did this last weekend, it was a blast and look forward to lots of trips with it in the future. Saturday was a 95F day and we rode about 5 miles on pavement. It is a very fast bike and the ride went well until the front brake started making a raspy noise which continued for the second half of the ride. I was bummed but figured I’d give it a more thorough exam the next day. Next day we went to a small mtb park and, when I got the bike unloaded, all brake noise was gone. I figure it was a seed or something between the rotor and brake pad that was worn away or fell out. The day was a blast and I certainly learned a lot about the operation and ride. Being new to emtbs, I have a lot to learn. More to come.
9FF3CD97-A837-4D86-A650-00C688D47CE8.jpeg

Attachments

• 6557D1B4-2952-4E4A-9498-2364C8CDA7CD.jpeg
    6557D1B4-2952-4E4A-9498-2364C8CDA7CD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 496
  • 2B3681C7-57CD-4EE7-969A-23BBE9F664EA.jpeg
    2B3681C7-57CD-4EE7-969A-23BBE9F664EA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 371
Nice bike.

You might want to rethink the seat bag - or at least ensure it doesn't catch on the rear wheel when the dropper post us down and suspension compressed. If it does catch, consider a frame bag hanging below the top tube

View attachment 89867
My thought, too.

Dallant, I'm so glad you bought a premium e-MTB! My friend Daniel in Poland owns the same model, only blue/black. He fell in love with his Rail 5. He likes the sized of his Trek as he is a big man and does not look silly riding it.

Congratulations to you!

My thought, too.

Dallant, I'm so glad you bought a premium e-MTB! My friend Daniel in Poland owns the same model, only blue/black. He fell in love with his Rail 5. He likes the sized of his Trek as he is a big man and does not look silly riding it.

Congratulations to you!
The seat bag has already been deleted from any plans for now. I do have a small tube bag but will wait until I’m sure I want to keep the Rail or return/resell it. I certainly don’t want to scratch it till then.
And before I hear the objections to return/resell, I’ll remind you that right now this is an extended test ride. Granted, it is a very good test! But ultimately, this is a desire, not a need.

his is an extended test ride
You are a lucky person Dallant because you can convince yourself whether you really need an e-MTB. Honestly, I love my Giant Trance E+ but I have discovered I might do without it, as my real mountain trips are quite rare, and I avoid technical trail riding. My Vado satisfies most of my needs, even for forest riding.

Yet, in case I fancy travelling to some mountains... It is good to own an N + 1 :D (The gearing of Trance takes me wherever Vado would fail).

I lucked out and found a Trek Rail 5 EMTB on the internet this last weekend. Times being what they are, there were only two Rail 5 mediums in the national system for the sports chain where I found it. The other was a Sheel’s store in Dallas, Texas, (as of last Friday) in case you're interested.😎
The medium is a larger ebike (with 29 X 2.6” tires) than I expected, but I like it a lot so far. The shop set the suspension for me using the Trek Suspension app. The bike is decidedly larger than my Allant+7. What riding I did this last weekend, it was a blast and look forward to lots of trips with it in the future. Saturday was a 95F day and we rode about 5 miles on pavement. It is a very fast bike and the ride went well until the front brake started making a raspy noise which continued for the second half of the ride. I was bummed but figured I’d give it a more thorough exam the next day. Next day we went to a small mtb park and, when I got the bike unloaded, all brake noise was gone. I figure it was a seed or something between the rotor and brake pad that was worn away or fell out. The day was a blast and I certainly learned a lot about the operation and ride. Being new to emtbs, I have a lot to learn. More to come.View attachment 89802
I Like it!

The seat bag has already been deleted from any plans for now. I do have a small tube bag but will wait until I’m sure I want to keep the Rail or return/resell it. I certainly don’t want to scratch it till then.
And before I hear the objections to return/resell, I’ll remind you that right now this is an extended test ride. Granted, it is a very good test! But ultimately, this is a desire, not a need.
Very good attitude....cue ' know when to hold them, know when to fold them' from the gambler by Kenny Rogers? Maybe....

The seat is a Forte soft-tail I bought it a few years ago at Performance bikes. I think the bag is a large in this.
View attachment 90324
I think I just need the smaller version of my Topeak bag so it won’t rub. Worth a shot anyway.
Is that the new Bosch performance line motor?

I just might have to trade you bikes!
Is that the new Bosch performance line motor?

I just might have to trade you bikes!

View attachment 90325
New as in the Gen 4 PLCX? Yes. Which Gen do you have?

I think I just need the smaller version of my Topeak bag so it won’t rub. Worth a shot anyway.
I have what Trek calls a medium large frame and only run about a half inch sag on the rear shock. On my previous bike occasionally it would rub but it's no worse for wear really.

Mine is the 2nd generation performance line cx and the bike is Powerfly 9.7 which the rail replaced I believe.

How are you liking the emtb level setting?

Last edited:
Back