TREK Domane+ 2019, thoughts, price, issue?

Im looking at various websites that are selling Domane+ and i see some motors are slightly different. Some models have Bosch Performance Cruise motor and another has Bosch active line motor. Anyone know the difference and whats better? Oh and can these motors be speed hacked/remove the 15mph speed limiter? 😆

Are they replacing the Bosch version with only the Fazua one going forward or are they going to continue with both models? If the former I sure am glad I have the Domane + Bosch version before it goes away. Like Alaskan I could care less what others think, and the Domane + is a fabulous machine. Everybody else is jumping on the stealth wagon (other than Specialized with the Creo, which could be interesting but the price!). I for one have no desire to deal with a second chain ring which to me is totally unnecessary in a road eBike. Wouldn’t mind lack of resistance with motor off which the newer Bosch motors are supposed to have. And as I have said before I think the custom curves with the Nyon are a very valuable feature.

Im looking at various websites that are selling Domane+ and i see some motors are slightly different. Some models have Bosch Performance Cruise motor and another has Bosch active line motor. Anyone know the difference and whats better? Oh and can these motors be speed hacked/remove the 15mph speed limiter? 😆
European models are the Performance Cruise version which is 15mph (kind of a tough sell, but without type approval with license plate you can't sell something faster). US versions and wherever there is not a similar speed restriction will have the Performance Speed which is 28mph. There are no Domane+ bikes with the Active Line motor...but if you have a link I'm interested to see...

European models are the Performance Cruise version which is 15mph (kind of a tough sell, but without type approval with license plate you can't sell something faster). US versions and wherever there is not a similar speed restriction will have the Performance Speed which is 28mph. There are no Domane+ bikes with the Active Line motor...but if you have a link I'm interested to see...
Hi tegnamo, thanks for your reply. I am well aware of the speed limit restriction in the EU so im hoping if anyone has had experience/proof if they've hacked this motor specifically (Bosch Performance Cruise) to bypass he speed limit of 15mph.

also here's the link - https://www.blazingbikes.co.uk/index.php/bikes/ebike-bikes/trek-domane-2019.html
scroll down and the see the specs. If what you say is correct then maybe its a typo on the website.

Yeah that's a typo. It will have the Performance Cruise motor. And there are many ways to chip a motor but it will void your warranty.

I took a cube agree c62 out with the fazua motor motor before I brought the trek.
Having had the giant road e pro before with 80nm of torque I found the cube with 60nm down on power
I then took the trek out which felt better than the cube all round, hence I brought the trek.
My lbs said that there wasn’t any fazua repair in uk?.
I would imagine the trek will be a bit lighter with the fazua, but the cube was 14.5kg & needed to be worked uphill.

So after weeks of researching and comparing e-bikes that suits my needs, style...& budget, I have finally decided to go with the Domane+ 'Bosch Performance Cruise motor' (UK version). Just ordered it today and will be arriving mid next week 🙌. cant wait to take it out!. I will be purchasing a speedbox 2 which 'apparently' works with all bosch motors (even current ones) to remove the 15mph limit. Although no one has tested this out so i guess i will be the first. I will be writing an in depth review of my experiences so please look out for it if you are interested in this bike.

So after weeks of researching and comparing e-bikes that suits my needs, style...& budget, I have finally decided to go with the Domane+ 'Bosch Performance Cruise motor' (UK version). Just ordered it today and will be arriving mid next week 🙌. cant wait to take it out!. I will be purchasing a speedbox 2 which 'apparently' works with all bosch motors (even current ones) to remove the 15mph limit. Although no one has tested this out so i guess i will be the first. I will be writing an in depth review of my experiences so please look out for it if you are interested in this bike.
You will find the battery life will be less as the motor will be on for most of your ride. I lost nearly 50% with a speed box on the giant.

Butter smooth in France, suspension useful in England's cities where roads are less maintained, frequent clunky sounds, infrequent mechanical issues, next update for Domane+ in 2021, but competition also have ideas....

Attachments

• 20190818_094141.jpg
    20190818_094141.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 457
I entered my first sportive ride at the weekend in the wye valley, I choose the short 36 miles with 3000ft elevation.
Looking around I couldn’t see any other e-bikes around & surprisingly nobody calling my a cheat😂, I had quite a few people admiring my bike & saying they didn’t realise bikes came in road form.
So off I went with beautiful views & for non e-bike riders some grand long hills👍.
The domane absolutely flew around making a very enjoyable ride.
My time was 2hrs dead making it a average speed of 18mph & 2 bars of battery used, I was pleasantly surprised with that .
Love the trek

Attachments

• 95D192EC-DEB1-4E38-A653-3498A3474D93.png
    95D192EC-DEB1-4E38-A653-3498A3474D93.png
    970.3 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Noticed before my ride this morning that the side stand was All loose, tried to tighten it but the plastic spacers have broken out.
Mabe it’s been loose for a while?, will order some tomorrow

OK, we'll use round numbers.
$7,000 for this bike (+ tax)
Slightly discounted (say $250)
Dealer in UK listed it for $5,873.55 + ship to US is $652.59 ($6,525.92)
Contacted my NJ dealer, he balked to the "mothership" (Trek inside sales), and now the price is £5250.00 ($6798.38)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
So much for finding the deal, UK said they would not ship to US anyway.
Point being, how on earth can a US manufactured bike been less than it cost in the US?
I'm sure they got their hand slapped for making it affordable, but that opportunity is now gone.

With that being said, I took it for a spin on Sunday and like it. However, justifying the expense is another story.
I have a SuperCommuter +8S and was considering a change.
However, looking around in the last few weeks, there have been many sales of the SuperCommuter for around $3,000, new and used (a low of $2100 to a high of $4200) . The most recent NEW was $3100!!.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Trek+Super+Commuter++8S&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

So, having the opportunity to search and see where the prices go and are hovering, I think the Domane+ would be a great deal at $5k or slightly more (no more than $5500)

OR, I can ride my SuperCommuter for another year or more and see if the technology gets better.

Just sharing.

HI,
I purchased the Domane + May 2019.. You have to replace the rims because they're not performance rims. I replace them with Bontrager xxx 4 carbon rims (night and Day). Also ,i'm not a off road rider. So, I replace the tires to a Bontrager R3-100-32 tubless ready ( night and day). I live in new jersey with mix hill and flats. I rode for the first time with complete upgrades. It was a perfect ride for 62 miles ( 1,200 feet ele.) . I didn't turn the power on until I reached 24 miles tour mode. I like to spin for the first 16-24 miles. I had about 9 miles left on the battery/ tour mode. Also, I replaced the cassette to a 32-cog. If you decide to purchase this bike you must up-grade. If you have any ???? you're welcome to email me at [email protected]

so 5 weeks on since my side stand came out of the frame, my lbs has been trying to get the parts sent down but just send the stand & no fittings ie bushes.
Had a call today from my shop & trek are now saying that the broken parts are part of the carbon frame, sounds like I need a new frame.
Trek apparently have had one other bike with this problem, I have to drop my bike in now for a few days to investigate.
i would check your stand regularly for tightness.

Attachments

• F3F064AB-B226-4F73-9D3C-123BA7445273.jpeg
    F3F064AB-B226-4F73-9D3C-123BA7445273.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 418
  • 34112211-83A3-4017-A4BA-5E80E0938C16.jpeg
    34112211-83A3-4017-A4BA-5E80E0938C16.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 438
Hi people, I’m looking into this one but was concerned about the newest Bosch 2020 motors. Any idea when trek will add this to the domane+. It’s currently on the Allant (super commuter replacement).

Also I purchased a Fuji ebike for my wife and love it! But I like a road bike position so I’m looking at eroad types. One thing i noticed was the torque sensing is not perfect. You can get over revs of the motor and sometimes it applies brakes to your cadence. It’s not ridiculous, but it’s noticeable and it's annoying. I took it to a bosch dealer and they replaced my motor on warranty. The new motor does that same thing so now I’m assuming it’s inherent to this motor. Anyone experience this with their domane+? I suspect the 2020 motors to be improved on this.

Hi people, I’m looking into this one but was concerned about the newest Bosch 2020 motors. Any idea when trek will add this to the domane+. It’s currently on the Allant (super commuter replacement).

Also I purchased a Fuji ebike for my wife and love it! But I like a road bike position so I’m looking at eroad types. One thing i noticed was the torque sensing is not perfect. You can get over revs of the motor and sometimes it applies brakes to your cadence. It’s not ridiculous, but it’s noticeable and it's annoying. I took it to a bosch dealer and they replaced my motor on warranty. The new motor does that same thing so now I’m assuming it’s inherent to this motor. Anyone experience this with their domane+? I suspect the 2020 motors to be improved on this.
Not had any problems with mine, runs real smooth.

Which country did you buy it in?

Also how fast are you pedaling when it applies "brakes? The Bosch system can only support up to a certain pedaling RPM before it will limit output. A lot of eBike motors are like this. And what do you mean by over revs? The torque sensing should be pretty good...

You can ask the dealer to reflash the firmware. This is on your Fuji bike right?

Thanks for the responses. I’m in the US. The motor‘s firmware was updated first to see if it corrected the issue. It didn’t. The second motor does that same thing. It’s a class 2 limited to 20mph. Fuji e-traverse. The modulated torcque response Occurs after about 8 miles. Its not related to exceeding the assist level as it can happen anywhere from 10-15mph. The LBS mechanic noticed it Which is why he put in for a new motor. It’s subtle and I suspect many may not notice it. I do. I’m hoping the 2020 motors are better which is why I’m holding out for the next domane+ revision. I’ve yet to ride a domane+ but currently own a domane/dura ace.

The new 2020 one will have the Lighter Bosch (2lb lighter), and a 625wh battery. Is avlb. To place order in December.
Trek has 2stores in Nyc and that’s where the info is from.

I’m glad i didn’t fall for the early experimental model. Now it will probably be sold 2-2.5k max. As an used ebike or maybe 3k new in a few months.
Nobody will buy it since it’s technology will be so obsolete !! Only the lightest and the best.

So next year top road ebikes are :

1) Specialized Creo - apparently it is sold out or the 16.000$ model of 250units is sold out. Not sure.
380wh+120wh spare-500wh.

28lb Sexy beast.

9k for Aluminum version.

2) Trek Domane -625wh, Bosch 2020motor.

Weight ?? Not sure.

6-7k for the CARbon version

3) BULLS Falcon -500wh, Bosch 2020motor. Alu frame , but a VERY sexy red beast.

I personally like the Bulls for it’s sturdiness, 28mph speed. And Brilliant color scheme. And price 5-6k.

All other eroad bikes will have the cheaply made incredibly Underpowered Chinese Fazua system.

Back