Stromer ST2 vs Trek Domane + 2019

rv15son

Hi everyone, UK e-biker here.

So im having difficulty choosing between these 2 bikes and i would appreciate your input.

On one hand i've got a 2nd hand ST2 which is a demo bike which i can get for £4500. I just test rode this bike yesterday and took advantage of the 28mph speed and even went beyond the limit. amazingly fun! I've asked the dealer to send me the bike history stats just to see if there's anything dodgy but have yet to receive them. The dealer said it has only done around 90 miles and that there was a problem with the wiring from the motor (or something like that) but has been fixed. Guess ill have to take his word for now. I forgot to ask what year model this was as well but does this matter?

On the other, the Domane + 2019. I haven't test ridden this bike as of yet because the test centers are very far from where i live. I have ridden normal road bikes but not E-road bikes although i imagine they'll be just as much fun if not more. I can get this at £4200 on sale at the moment. I have checked reviews on this but none go into as much detail as i was hoping for like a pro's & con's in depth review but im guessing who ever does own one hasn't had that much time to do a review.

So here's my overall view

ST2

Pros;
- £4500 i think this is a definite bargain compared to RRP at £5995
- goes up to 28mph and beyond
- Fun factor is 10/10
- didn't see any major cosmetic damage
- omni features especially the anti theft tracking
- its has the blue battery pack which is the 983Wh

Con's;
- haven't received the bike history stats from the dealer yet and i don't want to take his word for it until i see proof.
- the "wire" problem....could this be a possible problem in the future even though the dealer said it was fixed?
- i didn't know the battery part was very chunky compared to my current ebike which is the orbea gain f40 hybrid, so that kind of put me off the look of the bike a bit
- when i was steering left/right i noticed it was quite stiff and not as smooth as regular bike. I like the feeling of making sharp turns as im passing between obstacles but with this i think ill find it difficult. im guessing its because of its weight? or because its an old demo bike? not sure, but it just didn't feel comfortable, maybe i just need to get used to it.
- rear bike rack is quite small so ill have to buy a bike bag that can fit on to it
- UK LAW :mad:, it needs to get taxed so i have to get it registered as a class 3 vehicle which will cost me extra money every year PLUS insurance!!!
- I'll have to get a licence plate which will have to be attached to the back
- I'll have to buy a motor cycle looking helmet to ride it legally on the road so i won't get that fun feeling of air pressure on my face
- .....arrrgghhh:mad:o_O

Neutral feelings
- I don't mind the weight, ill just think of it as a little workout if i'm carrying it around
- i don't care if it's 2nd hand, that price is just too good

Trek Domane +

Pro's;
- Love everything about the look of this bike, colours, frame
- I prefer my road bikes
- It's currently on sale for £4200 (not sure when its going to end) RRP £5000+
- I read that hub drives are better

Con's;
- haven't test ridden it yet
- haven't seen/read too many/no in depth reviews
- doesn't go above 15.5mph due to AGAIN UK LAW!!!:mad: so fun factor won't be as high as the ST2

Neutral feelings
- .....don't know...

So thats about it for now. I want to know your opinions and if you have other bike alternatives you can recommend.

Many thanks and looking forward to read your experiences and POV's.

If you like roadbikes then Domane may seem good but 15.5mph will be a problem since even on an entry level roadbike you will do 20mph without much of a problem. Domane + is a somewhat light ebike but it is still very heavy (more than 2 times the weight of a mid range roadbike). So if you need some help on the climbs but otherwise want a heavy roadbike it may be an ok choice.

looks? Don't buy a bike because of its looks, most roadbikes looks cool, but the geometry is also very taxing on the body for everyday riding(Other than the looks it is just the regular Bosch system, old and heavy imo it is not the right motor for a light road ebike). Afterall an advantage of ebikes is that you can have the same fun ride with a more comfortable seating position and when you feel tired you can still go on by using some assist.

Are you comparing 'like-for-like' ?
A bike that require Insurance, Helmut vs ....
A Tourer versus a Hybrid....
A Rear Hub versus Mid Drive...

It appears by what you have wrote on the Stormer that you may be going for that

I looked at the Stormer, the company credentials long term in the UK and spec of the engine, and my research came up short
As for the Domane+...I have one

Are you comparing 'like-for-like' ?
A bike that require Insurance, Helmut vs ....
A Tourer versus a Hybrid....
A Rear Hub versus Mid Drive...

It appears by what you have wrote on the Stormer that you may be going for that

I looked at the Stormer, the company credentials long term in the UK and spec of the engine, and my research came up short
As for the Domane+...I have one
Hi Sally,

I plan to buy one of these 2.
I'm leaning towards more on the Stromer St2 for now since I've researched and ridden it. Although the dealer still hasn't gotten back to me regarding the bike history stats so i'm holding off for now.
I'm waiting for more reviews (hopefully in depth) to come out on the Domane+ and since you have one, how's your experience with it so far? Pro's & Con's

so i think i've decided to go with Domane+ because of its road bike frame and comfort-ability factor. I think the ST2 will have a lot more problems down the line since its a 2nd hand and the dealer still hasn't gotten back to me regarding the stats (kind of dodgy). Not to mention the drawbacks of UK law coming into place for speed pedelecs. The Domane+ is limited to 15mph but it looks like it can be hacked with speedbox2 to allow me to go up to the 28mph speed limit. I'll be able to stealthily ride this with no problems getting caught. Planning to ride within the normal bike speed limits in the city and speed up fast when on deserted roads with no cars. Has anyone hacked the restricted speed limit of 15mph for their Domane+? Am i correct in saying this?

so i think i've decided to go with Domane+ because of its road bike frame and comfort-ability factor. I think the ST2 will have a lot more problems down the line since its a 2nd hand and the dealer still hasn't gotten back to me regarding the stats (kind of dodgy). Not to mention the drawbacks of UK law coming into place for speed pedelecs. The Domane+ is limited to 15mph but it looks like it can be hacked with speedbox2 to allow me to go up to the 28mph speed limit. I'll be able to stealthily ride this with no problems getting caught. Planning to ride within the normal bike speed limits in the city and speed up fast when on deserted roads with no cars. Has anyone hacked the restricted speed limit of 15mph for their Domane+? Am i correct in saying this?

Hello<
I live in new jersey. I purchase the domane + May 2019, and I had to upgrade the rims to Bontrager XXX 4 with tire replacement R3 100x32 tubless ready. The bike rides like a BMW M-3 but comfortable ride. Very Very Very happy with the bike . With the upgrades , I can get about 48 miles in tour mode . [email protected]

Back