TREK Domane+ 2019, thoughts, price, issue?

Thanks, I wil look at that and so more testing - i'm unsure of what i am hearing is chain rub

The only thing that is a downside with the domane+ is the weight - 17KG compare to 3 competitors based on ebikemotion which are aournd 12kg (Orbea, Colnago, Pinarello). The new Bosch motors appear to be of a different market segment and not much lighter, or more Kn

My Domane+ came with the Purion, so I had to swap out the mount and wiring to use my Nyon on it. If you have the Intuvia it uses the same mount as the Nyon, so you would just need to get a Nyon with its unique controller, exchange that controller for the Intuvia one, then you’d be good to go.

Yes the Domane+ is heavier than the ebikemotion models but I would argue that this is not as important as road bikers think before they ride a road eBike. On the flats the extra weight is actually helpful (once up to speed) as the momentum is greater than a lighter weight bike, so I routinely keep up with strong bikers using no assist. When climbing any significant grade you are going to turn the motor on otherwise you wouldn’t have bought the bike! So who cares if you add an extra 10% assist which you can totally do with the Nyon (using custom modes) to account for the extra 10-15 lbs the Domane+ weighs over the other models. In exchange for that you get a larger battery and more power when you want it. And at least in the US 28 mph!

As an aside here are my custom curves using the Nyon. These totally mitigate the weight of the bike when starting up from a stop. I virtually always ride in Custom mode 1; with this level of assist from a flat start I am easily up to 15 mph in a few seconds (and thus down to 30% assist) at which time I often turn the motor off unless it is windy. It works in reverse once you start climbing a significant grade; as the grade gets steeper and you slow down the assists increases. This means you can climb virtually any hill by only shifting rear cassette gears and not even changing assist levels. Another advantage over the ebikemotion models is it makes a second chainring completely unnecessary—with 4 custom modes along with 4 standard modes (as well as motor off) it’s like having 9 chainrings!

1565620276488.jpeg

Yes the Domane+ is heavier than the ebikemotion models but I would argue that this is not as important as road bikers think before they ride a road eBike. On the flats the extra weight is actually helpful (once up to speed) as the momentum is greater than a lighter weight bike, so I routinely keep up with strong bikers using no assist. When climbing any significant grade you are going to turn the motor on otherwise you wouldn’t have bought the bike! So who cares if you add an extra 10% assist which you can totally do with the Nyon (using custom modes) to account for the extra 10-15 lbs the Domane+ weighs over the other models. In exchange for that you get a larger battery and more power when you want it. And at least in the US 28 mph!

Well worth the trade-off IMO. Seasoned Roadys are so accustomed to putting a premium on lower weight, they will need to set new priorities when evaluating the relative merits of e-road bikes.

Hi Steve, can the Domane+ have a bike rack? also whats your overall experience with the bike so far? I'm torn between this and a 2nd hand ST2. Feel free to have a look at my thread "Stromer ST2 vs Domane+"

I love the bike! Had a Haibike Race for about 16 months with 2 cracked frames (clearly a design flaw) and have now had the Domane+ for about 5 months and 1500 miles. Like a Ferrari compared to the Haibike despite having the same motor. I can’t really compare to the ST2 as I only rode a Stromer once about 3 years ago when I was first looking at eBikes. But I can say that not having the ability to use assist above 15 mph would be a non-starter in a road bike for me (we obviously don’t have that issue in the U.S.). Putting that aside I really think it comes down to what approach you prefer. I personally find endurance road bike geometry more comfortable than more upright bikes, and I definitely prefer the more anatomically neutral wrist position of riding the hoods on drop bars as opposed to the less natural flexed position on flat bars—my wrists hurt after a long ride on my regular mountain bike but never from my road bikes. I prefer a mid-drive to a hub as it has more of a bike feel to me. Not sure about a bike rack; I do know there are fender mounts. It does have a seat mast cap as opposed to a regular seatpost to the extent that plays any role in trying to fit a rack.

I see from your post that you currently have the Orbea Gain, so I guess the question is what features are you most trying to gain by going to a different bike?

Some of the 2020 models in UK are of the 2019 displays and motors
Thanks, I wil look at that and so more testing - i'm unsure of what i am hearing is chain rub

The only thing that is a downside with the domane+ is the weight - 17KG compare to 3 competitors based on ebikemotion which are aournd 12kg (Orbea, Colnago, Pinarello). The new Bosch motors appear to be of a different market segment and not much lighter, or more Kn

Correction PURION - I'm looking into the Intuvia Upgrade Kit
Yes i'm refering to 1 of the 2 markets the Domane+ is aimed -the road market not the touring market hence the comparrison with ebikemotion.
I do think the motor make the package to heavy

I love the bike! Had a Haibike Race for about 16 months with 2 cracked frames (clearly a design flaw) and have now had the Domane+ for about 5 months and 1500 miles. Like a Ferrari compared to the Haibike despite having the same motor. I can’t really compare to the ST2 as I only rode a Stromer once about 3 years ago when I was first looking at eBikes. But I can say that not having the ability to use assist above 15 mph would be a non-starter in a road bike for me (we obviously don’t have that issue in the U.S.). Putting that aside I really think it comes down to what approach you prefer. I personally find endurance road bike geometry more comfortable than more upright bikes, and I definitely prefer the more anatomically neutral wrist position of riding the hoods on drop bars as opposed to the less natural flexed position on flat bars—my wrists hurt after a long ride on my regular mountain bike but never from my road bikes. I prefer a mid-drive to a hub as it has more of a bike feel to me. Not sure about a bike rack; I do know there are fender mounts. It does have a seat mast cap as opposed to a regular seatpost to the extent that plays any role in trying to fit a rack.

I see from your post that you currently have the Orbea Gain, so I guess the question is what features are you most trying to gain by going to a different bike?

First of all enjoy your bike it sure is a beauty.

Can you be a little more specific on your comparison with Haibike? Since the frame is carbon I can see that Domane will be somewhat more comfortable but what exactly do you mean by saying this is a Ferrari ? Faster (with the same battery, motor and not so different weight I don't expect this to be much faster)?

Also I realized that my custom support levels are very close to yours , we may have similar riding styles (mine are 25/75/150/310 but not using 310 at all just wanted to have the max there). At 150% it flies but drains the battery too fast, I am at %25 most of the time but acceleration is a pain sometimes because of the weight. I also used to start the support from a higher level as you did but then I decided to just keep all support levels flat since it feels more natural and sometimes I like to climb with as little assist as possible.

Enjoy your ride. Again it looks beautiful.

I basically just mean everything about the bike feels high class, and handling is so much better. Not faster, just much nicer. Ride much smoother with carbon that gives compared to aluminum. One thing I have done on both the Haibike and the Domane+ is move the controller to right by the hood on the left handlebar (photo), so changing assist levels doesn’t require moving my hand and it is very analogous to normal shifting of a front chainring. Also means it is very easy to change levels for just a few seconds when needed/desired. Like you I used to ride with flat assist levels but there is nothing enjoyable to me about starting out from stop signs and stoplights. This encourages me to stop as it is relatively painless to start up, and I am down to 30% in a few seconds. After all—they don’t have to stop in the Tour de France!

Attachments

• E54C7B65-3230-48B6-9CD0-9AC18CEFF44B.jpeg
    E54C7B65-3230-48B6-9CD0-9AC18CEFF44B.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 382
I basically just mean everything about the bike feels high class, and handling is so much better. Not faster, just much nicer. Ride much smoother with carbon that gives compared to aluminum. One thing I have done on both the Haibike and the Domane+ is move the controller to right by the hood on the left handlebar (photo), so changing assist levels doesn’t require moving my hand and it is very analogous to normal shifting of a front chainring. Also means it is very easy to change levels for just a few seconds when needed/desired. Like you I used to ride with flat assist levels but there is nothing enjoyable to me about starting out from stop signs and stoplights. This encourages me to stop as it is relatively painless to start up, and I am down to 30% in a few seconds. After all—they don’t have to stop in the Tour de France!

I agree that one of the major advantages of ebikes is that it gets you up to speed quickly and that is usually the most taxing part on your joints. Especially for roadbiking that would be a difference maker.

I also wonder what is your average chain life, lube and lubing intervals ?

I agree that one of the major advantages of ebikes is that it gets you up to speed quickly and that is usually the most taxing part on your joints. Especially for roadbiking that would be a difference maker.

I also wonder what is your average chain life, lube and lubing intervals ?
You can at least get eBike specific chains which possibly have more durability? The front ring is steel, which is helpful.

You can at least get eBike specific chains which possibly have more durability? The front ring is steel, which is helpful.
I already am using ebike specific chains, it seems people are having significantly different chain life out of them. I am experimenting with different lubes and will write my experiences in the future. For now I want to find out what kind of riding people do, their maintenance routines and the chain life they get.

I use Dummond Tech Pro-X Lite and literally follow their directions which are to lube when you hear your chain. I do it as soon as my chain is no longer silent--looking back at my records for my two ebikes that looks to be anywhere between 250-600 miles. I should note that I am a fair weather rider and never ride in the rain; in general I don't even ride when the roads are wet (fairly easy to manage that in California!). I do like to keep my drivetrain clean as well and I think the Dummond Tech Lite helps with that a lot more than the wet lube I used to use. Again looking back at my records it looks like I have replaced chains at about 1800-2000 miles.

I use Dummond Tech Pro-X Lite and literally follow their directions which are to lube when you hear your chain. I do it as soon as my chain is no longer silent--looking back at my records for my two ebikes that looks to be anywhere between 250-600 miles. I should note that I am a fair weather rider and never ride in the rain; in general I don't even ride when the roads are wet (fairly easy to manage that in California!). I do like to keep my drivetrain clean as well and I think the Dummond Tech Lite helps with that a lot more than the wet lube I used to use. Again looking back at my records it looks like I have replaced chains at about 1800-2000 miles.
:D I started using Dumonde original a while ago and lately bought a bottle of pro X lite. So far my feeling was that it is a good lube.

It lasts way longer than the previous lubes but still I feel the sound increasing around 150 miles which is less than what others usually get(many people seem to get 250+ miles ).
The chain is silent on the smallest cog when it is mostly straight but when I cross chain while going larger cogs it has some sound to it. Stil this lube is the quietest among the ones I have used so far.

What kind of sound exactly are you listening to? I try to listen for light chirping sound while on the smallest cog lightly pedaling , once it starts I lube but maybe I am too early on that.

I get black gunk on the chain for the first couple of rides so I wipe it 2 times in the first 30 miles then it stays clean how about yours ?

My experience is similar. I have to say I don’t listen for any particular sound I just know that when I notice the (chain which is normally silent) I lube it and it becomes totally silent again. Also agree with your experience with gunk after lubing, though not sure when it stops happening. This is definitely the best lube I have used.

I stopped in my trek dealer yesterday and he showed me a picture of a new Domane+ LT which has a Fazua motor. Not available yet here in US. Is it out in EU?

Hey Guitar dave, the Domane+ LT is not out yet. Checked a few UK stores online and i saw they plan to release it this early/mid November. By the way im wondering why they changed the motor to Fazua? any ideas?

Fausa has been undergoing US battery certification and its completion is expected for fall release.

Last edited:
That Fauza motor makes the new Domane+ way less interesting, unless there is a new more powerful version. I would be much more interested if they stuck with Bosch with their new lighter smaller versions. Clearly they went for stealth over power. The Bosch would still be visible just less so than the current version. The Fauza is virtually invisible. I guess they surveyed roadys and they preferred not to be overt due to peer pressure. As I have stressed to my millennial sons over the years, you wouldn't care what other people think about you if you knew how infrequently they did so.

Back