TREK Domane+ 2019, thoughts, price, issue?

Wow- This is insane. If you click this ebay link, there currently an 8S that has a current bid new for $930.00US and another that sold for $2100.00 US. These bikes certainly are not holding their value at all. SC 8S
SC 8S Sold for $2100.00US

The listing you're looking for has ended.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
2017 Trek Bikes Super Commuter+ 8S in Viper Red E-bike Commuter Mint Condition
Condition:
Used
Ended:
Apr 25, 2019, 01:50:31 PM PDT
Price:
US $2,100.00
Bob,
Here is a new eBay link that floored me. A 1 year old SC 8S being sold by a middle man and is still priced way below MSRP. So if you buy new, your depreciation is probably 50% walking out the door. Or some ridiculously high percentage. Wow. I do not know of any product that depreciates that fast.

Greg

Wow- This is insane. If you click this ebay link, there currently an 8S that has a current bid new for $930.00US and another that sold for $2100.00 US. These bikes certainly are not holding their value at all. SC 8S
SC 8S Sold for $2100.00US

FYI, the one that sold for $2100 did not have a battery; "Condition is barely used, pristine condition only missing battery and battery key."

Bob,
Here is a new eBay link that floored me. A 1 year old SC 8S being sold by a middle man and is still priced way below MSRP. So if you buy new, your depreciation is probably 50% walking out the door. Or some ridiculously high percentage. Wow. I do not know of any product that depreciates that fast.

Greg

Is only a very few high end ebikes that occasionally show up with with prices as such . But that is the trend...the ebay buyer for that one is a very well known online bike shop amongst bike riders and always has tons of deals.
But yea a 1year or even a few months old used ebike definitely can only be sold with at least 40% off. If an experienced ebiker is looking for a new purchase she or he knows very well what sort of potentially troublesome issues to look for in an used ebike.

There’s a few Stromers StS 2 brand new for sale online right now for 4.4k, down from 9000$. Di2 shifting and all the high end bits.
I won’t name the website, as i am trying hard to score one for myself.

Bob,

Greg

Thanks for the heads up. This also explains why I was seeing a deep discount on many 2018 bikes on close out at $2-$3K off retail. There are a couple high end brands I will not purchase at all; simply b/c they only discount them by $1-$2 hundred off list at any time of the year. Some brands just will not budge with discounting their models like others do.

I’ve just had my first service done & was hoping to go tubeless as well but even though trek advertise the bike has tubless ready tyres there not & the rim tape is on back order?.
So my shop said they will fit Specialized Roubaix Pro 2Bliss Tyre 700x30/32C free of charge for me?.

I’ve just had my first service done & was hoping to go tubeless as well but even though trek advertise the bike has tubless ready tyres there not & the rim tape is on back order?.
So my shop said they will fit Specialized Roubaix Pro 2Bliss Tyre 700x30/32C free of charge for me?.

Those Schwalbes are tubeless compatible. "TLE" = Schwalbe's tubeless designation. And Trek does not suggest rim tape. They suggest their special rim strip. And that is also not on backorder...

Those Schwalbes are tubeless compatible. "TLE" = Schwalbe's tubeless designation. And Trek does not suggest rim tape. They suggest their special rim strip. And that is also not on backorder...
I’m just going by what they told me, I don’t have TLE stamped on mine.
I must have had some other bikes tyre.

Attachments

• C73D36E6-487E-49F1-8CB4-4F828FC1F3F3.jpeg
    C73D36E6-487E-49F1-8CB4-4F828FC1F3F3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 483
Last edited:
It only has one chainring, the Bosch 20T so equivalent to the large 50T chainring on most road bikes. The assist of course cuts out at 28 mph, but on a flat one can certainly do 30 mph or so if one is strong enough. But the assist will only kick back in when you drop below 28 mph. That said, it’s a lot easier to maintain 28-30 mph than on your own!
Actually the motors cut out at 26.5 mph - I have tested this on several trek ebikes.

Hi Steve,

I'm a new Domane+ owner. The bike is riding great, did the Fall River Century ride last week-end to give the bike it's first real break-in ride. I did only 45-mi to check battery life. I had plenty.

My only issue with the bike is the issue you've had of the headlight seemingly to have a mind of its own. I noticed the strobe/flash pattern come on twice randomly, then go back to steady without any input from me. I'm going to play around with the rear light position today. Do you have any update on that?

Also, are you able to turn your headlight on and off manually? The owners manual says a long press on the "+" button is the on/off switch. I've watched YouTube videos demonstrate that as well. But mine does nothing. The light comes on and won't turn off until the system is shut down.

Tom Lashbrook
Minden, NV

The light is set to be on all the time in the US. A dealer who can access the Bosch motor with their software can set it so you can turn it on and off—I did that as soon as I got mine. I don’t know about using the “+” to turn it on and off as I use a Nyon which has a dedicated button for the light. The light has an ambient sensor and automatically decides on the most effective lighting for the conditions, steady or flashing. It will go back and forth between the two modes multiple times per ride. I had to call Trek to figure that out. As far as I know this cannot be altered using the program dealers have and use.

The light is set to be on all the time in the US. A dealer who can access the Bosch motor with their software can set it so you can turn it on and off—I did that as soon as I got mine. I don’t know about using the “+” to turn it on and off as I use a Nyon which has a dedicated button for the light. The light has an ambient sensor and automatically decides on the most effective lighting for the conditions, steady or flashing. It will go back and forth between the two modes multiple times per ride. I had to call Trek to figure that out. As far as I know this cannot be altered using the program dealers have and use.
Thanks, Steve.

Back