TREK ALLANT+ ALL THE MODELS (7, 8, 9), ALL THE *Original* SPECS and my 9-15-19 RIde/Review

You've posted some really good info and I'm appreciative that you made the effort to catch that bike whilst it was on site for the media - and then posted about it. How about dual-battery as an additional advantage over your SC - would you add the additional battery if you purchased the Allant+? At Trek's website, they say you can use panniers or a trunk bag with the minimalist pannier rack. I wondered if that meant they might offer a new bag made for the rack. My dealer wasn't aware of one.

I was pretty excited about the bike when I thought it was going to be 40 pounds. But I after giving it some thought, and after two different weights were posted, 41 seemed pretty unrealistic. But 51 seemed high. I guess I would have expected or been happy with something in the mid-40s. I had two main targets in mind for another bike: 1). a light, stealth (and lite assist) commuter - the Desiknio was at the top of my list or a 2). full suspension commuter (maybe the new R&M Super Delite). These were two areas I want/wanted to explore: 1). a commuter that relies mostly on my power - with some light assist or 2). full suspension - never experienced that before. I thought the new carbon Trek might be a middle ground on #1 (lighter, stealthier but also extremely long range). So now, as the weight comes in at 51 pounds, I'm kind of on the fence. They say carbon is more compliant (like full suspension, I've never ridden a carbon bike) - but I wonder if that holds or is noticeable at 50+ pounds?

A carbon frame is nowhere like having a full-suspension. The carbon dampens the road vibrations a bit...that is all.

For my money, I would not spend extra dollars on a carbon frame electric bike... the relative benefit is low vs. the cost.

Last edited:
Well I agree with all of what your expectations and experiences as you state. I too was thrilled when they said 39 lbs. (but it's not) and with the new generation motor and battery, I would have possibly lived with the other negative stuff but now I'm not even sure it's worth selling my Super Commuter and if anything possibly consider the Allant 8+ S for a few pounds more than what I have with my current bike, does that make sense?

I always wanted an additional battery, but I could never justify the cost of $800 to $1,000 or maybe even more with the back rack to install the mounting capability on the Super Commuter 8, as my maximum rides have never been over 50 miles in one day yet (or even to just carry a spare battery) ........but I suffer badly from "range anxiety" being a previous owner of a Ford Focus EV for many years (early adopter). Fortunately, the Super Commuter can be ridden with no power assist with a little effort, unlike other e-bikes I have owned. I've actually rode 18 miles with no power with minimal difficulty (no major hills etc.). With that being said, to spend about $1,000 for the extra battery for the Allant 9.9 if needed might be acceptable if needed, but I don't think I need it nor do I think it keeps the streamlined appearance which is why the bike has an appealing look.

Also, I agree about the fork or some additional suspension, as I approach 70 years old my tired, old bones need as much cushioning as I can get.....

So, will I get a new Allant 9.9 or 8S? I'm uncertain at this point. With all the competition heating up just like in the automotive industry for electric there are surely to be a lot of choices and decisions to consider. However I must say that with the wide network of Trek dealers and their top notch support and customer service that is also a serious contributing factor to think about.

RE: Carbon and absorption negating additional needs for suspension components; I was told that and really couldn't say either way I felt any difference riding the Allant 9.9, albeit for only about 3 miles, hence my desire to try it out for an extended period of time before making any final decisions, especially when compared to the alloy model (Allant 8+S). In the automotive world, you make an EV lighter, it increase range, add a better battery and a better motor, you gain more distance, but in reality other than style, and increased minimal distance, what's it all about?

Last edited:
With some DT swiss carbon rims, full carbon cockpit and cranks, a lighter saddle, is entirely possible to bring this ebike weight down a further 3-4 maybe 5lb.

And choosing size S can also assure a low starting weight. It can be a difference of 1-3lb between an S and L size.

Better and lighter pedals as well. Probably 45, maybe 44lbs is the maximum that can be achieved by buying lightweight and carbon components. Swapping the tires maybe another 250-350grams shaving.
Total cost - Maybe an additional 4-600$ expense.

That is amazing in itself as no other top commuter ebike is anywhere closer to 44-45lbs, option for xtra batttery.

A Stromer ebike can only dream to reach 45lbs as the frame is very beefy and heavy.

Last edited:
I chatted with Trek's customer service yesterday and their rep. mentioned that their top of the line carbon model does not support any type of front suspension fork. The aluminum models do however. Additionally, none of the models support the redshift suspension stem. This would make the 9.9S one stiff ride on the front end in my opinion. On a side note, for Canadians they don't get the option for the S-pedelec versions unlike Stromer their S-pedelecs are sold in Canada where the law doesn't prevent the sale of S-pedelecs.

I chatted with Trek's customer service yesterday and their rep. mentioned that their top of the line carbon model does not support any type of front suspension fork. The aluminum models do however. Additionally, none of the models support the redshift suspension stem. This would make the 9.9S one stiff ride on the front end in my opinion. On a side note, for Canadians they don't get the option for the S-pedelec versions unlike Stromer their S-pedelecs are sold in Canada where the law doesn't prevent the sale of S-pedelecs.

Interesting and good info you are passing along. Seems like the more info that comes out the less attractive the bike becomes. I'll have to get back with my dealer because that contradicts what they told me. In fact, the way my dealer phrased it was that, with the Allant+, Trek was addressing one of the main complaints of the Super Commuter which was its inability to take a suspension fork. Per my dealer, all models are suspension capable. I will report back after asking them about this.

I chatted with Trek's customer service yesterday and their rep. mentioned that their top of the line carbon model does not support any type of front suspension fork...

My dealer confirmed this. No suspension fork possibilities on the carbon versions.

Interesting review from Electrek...

And to cover a number of different types of riding, Trek doesn’t just have one or two models in the Allant+ line, it has a whole slew of them:

• Allant+ 7
  • Allant+ 7 Lowstep
  • Allant+ 7S
  • Allant+ 7S Stagger
  • Allant+ 8
  • Allant+ 8 Stagger
  • Allant+ 8S
  • Allant+ 8S Stagger
  • Allant+ 9.9S — OCLV Carbon
  • Allant+ 9.9S Stagger — OCLV Carbon
Don’t expect Trek’s new e-bikes to come cheap though.

The model line starts at $3,599 for the Allant+ 7 and increases up to $5,999 for the Flagship Allant+ 9.9S.
Nice bikes? Yes, absolutely.

Expensive bikes? Also yes. For $6,000, I’m a bit amazed that I’m not looking at a Gates Carbon Belt Drive or at least an internally geared hub here. And yes, I get it that the higher end of the Allant+ line uses Trek’s high quality, patented carbon frames. But is that really necessary? At over 50 lb (23 kg), this has got to be one of the heaviest carbon bikes I’ve ever seen, even if its a bit light for a high-speed e-bike.

Stumbled on this and thought it a cool looking variant of the Allant 9.9s. I guess Trek owns Diamant in Germany. The Diamant Zouma Supreme speed pedelec. The pic shows the bike with Schwalbe tires but the specs at the site list the Bontrager tires. Lighting listed as Supernova and seat as Brooks Cambium. Otherwise, specs look about the same inclusive of the carbon OCLV frame. I kinda like the solid black more than the black/red combo. But surprisingly, price is a grand higher vs the USA price.

1575766914556.png

Has anyone seen any of the Allant + bikes at a dealer in the US yet? I preordered an Allant +7S from a brand new Trek store in NJ last month but haven't heard anything yet. It was kind of odd since they just opened but had almost no ebikes and didn't even seem to have an allocation. They said that the existing stores ordered all of the early production run. I have noticed that Cannondale announced the the Tesoro Neo X1an ebike that uses the same new Bosch 28 mph Performance speed motor and that is promised for the end of December. It is priced a little more than the *8s but has an air fork suspension. I will probably look at both and decide which I like better.

Has anyone seen any of the Allant + bikes at a dealer in the US yet? I preordered an Allant +7S from a brand new Trek store in NJ last month but haven't heard anything yet. It was kind of odd since they just opened but had almost no ebikes and didn't even seem to have an allocation. They said that the existing stores ordered all of the early production run....

I've only seen the 9.9s in two shops (and I have mine). But I haven't been back to my shop in a week or so and don't know if perhaps any 7s or 8s have arrived.

I've only seen the 9.9s in two shops (and I have mine). But I haven't been back to my shop in a week or so and don't know if perhaps any 7s or 8s have arrived.
I would be curious to see even the 9.9s in a store. I seem to remember did you get yours from Stirling,NJ? That is where we bought my wife's Verve +2. I preordered a +7S in Summit,NJ but would buy a +8s if it takes too long to get the +7s. I'll try stopping in at both next week.

I would be curious to see even the 9.9s in a store. I seem to remember did you get yours from Stirling,NJ? That is where we bought my wife's Verve +2. I preordered a +7S in Summit,NJ but would buy a +8s if it takes too long to get the +7s. I'll try stopping in at both next week.

No, got mine in Michigan.

Thanks. I guess I'll check with the local Trek stores and see if they have anything yet.

Stirling has a 9.9 step thru. Summit has a medium 9.9. Both are sold and both are held up due to battery locking issues with an "L" bracket issue. Mine is on the UPS truck, delayed from a Thursday delivery, sitting in Bound Brook for delivery Monday. I'll hope they figure out the "L" bracket battery lock issue by then, looking forward to the new bike (9.9 'L'). Something to do with a security torx screw that is specialized as well as difficult to access.
Torx Trek.png

Back