TREK ALLANT+ ALL THE MODELS (7, 8, 9), ALL THE *Original* SPECS and my 9-15-19 RIde/Review

I don't see any other RockShox options for a 15mm thru axle e-bike?:

Once you know the exact travel in mm for a replacement fork, it would make your job easier.

There are quite a few:

Here is one with 80mm travel, 110mm boost thru-axle. They also make the 100mm version.

If you want the very best, you could certainly look at the FOX series. If you can accept a previous year model, you would be able to find an excellent fork at an excellent price like this:

Another one. FOX Factory 32 with kashima coating but can only accept tires upto 2.3"

Last edited:
Once you know the exact travel in mm for a replacement fork, it would make your job easier...

I think minimal travel is necessary for an urban commuter. 80 or 100mm I would think be sufficient. I set my Haibike and R&M such that they are quite firm and measured using the silicone ring shows I'm using less than 2/3rds of the available travel.

Several brief reviews have been posted in the last few days. A couple I didn't care for so much. This one was a little better than the other 2 I saw although it doesn't come close to an EBR review:

The bikes must be hitting stores soon if they are now available to the media.

@Court, I hope you have plans to review the bike soon!

Several brief reviews have been posted in the last few days. A couple I didn't care for so much. This one was a little better than the other 2 I saw although it doesn't come close to an EBR review:

The bikes must be hitting stores soon if they are now available to the media. @Court, I hope you have plans to review the bike soon!

Nice bike, but there are better options available for $6,000.

PLEASE, give me those, broken down, specifically, and compared. I'd be interested to see what compares, and the reasoning.

So, now that there is more info, I'm a bit confused. Initially the specs for the weight of the bike was around 39 lbs. NOW the specs show it to be 51 lbs.!!!
(the 9.9 carbon Allant)

$4,200 vs $6,000 for an Allant 8 vs an Allant 9.9 (aluminum vs carbon) and the aluminum v8 is only 4 lbs. more that the v9.9 carbon, and the 9.9 has some different hardware, etc., is it really worth the extra $1,800? PLEASE, educate me before I blow my dough.

So, now that there is more info, I'm a bit confused. Initially, the specs for the weight of the bike was around 39 lbs. NOW the specs show it to be 51 lbs.!!!
(the 9.9 carbon Allant)

The initial specs appear to be incorrect... ;)

$4,200 vs $6,000 for an Allant 8 vs an Allant 9.9 (aluminum vs carbon) and the aluminum v8 is only 4 lbs. more that the v9.9 carbon, and the 9.9 has some different hardware, etc., is it really worth the extra $1,800? PLEASE, educate me before I blow my dough.

The 9.9 has a 25% bigger battery 500 wh vs 625 wh. Not sure what other differences there are.

This was the picture that got my attention. I believe Trek doesn't have a model like this , a model with front suspension, carbon belt and igh or do they?
I too would be interested int that, as $6k vs $2.kk is huge if the motor and battery are the same

If I were you, I would go with the Allant 8S+ as it has the new Gen4 motor, 625whr battery and then install ....
a Kinect post,
a suspension upront,
and get some nice panniers and I would still be under $5K.
The extra $1K could be used for 4 years of service.

The ride quality on the 9.9 would certainly be better but the most important components on an E-bike are the motor and the battery and the Allant8+S has got the latest motor and battery + Kiox at $4.2K and that is a really good value.

Well, last week (Friday 9/13), Andrew Hawkins (The Verge) wrote an article specific to his experience after his test ride of the Allant 9.9 (link: https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/13/20864546/trek-bikes-allant-ebike-test-ride-speed-weight-price )
Well today (Sunday 9/15/19) I took a trek (eh!) to NYC to the very same store to test ride it. They opened at 11 AM, I chatted with 'Mike' who gave me the overview of the bike, I setup my Cobi app on my iPhone, and off I went for about 3 miles up 10th Avenue from West 72nd to West 103rd and back down Columbus Avenue to the Trek Store.
I'll in another post describe my opinions but to truly compare I need to ride the Allant 8S+ before I can say if it is a game changer or just a bunch of hype for the Smartphone Hub/application.

Attachments

• NYC Allant 9.9.jpg
    NYC Allant 9.9.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 1,029
FYI, the bike was there for a Media Event and will be gone this week so I felt I needed to go try it out before waiting and getting overly anxious awaiting delivery on the ETA of November 25th by most dealers. Like I said, I still need to compare to the Allant 8S+ before I commit to either one but out the gate, it was very, very similar to my existing Super Commuter 8S +, and only being 1 pound lighter to me is not a "gotta have it" necessity. I can say that for what the Nyon vs the Cobi is, sure the Cobi has a ton of bells and whistles, but the gearset is what I need to compare before pulling the ripcord. And it's unknown to me if the Cobi is an optional upgrade from the initial and current advertising saying it's the Kiox (the current ad is misleading, as it shows both, and it's unknown which is stock and which is optional or what is supplied) "We reserve the right to make changes to the product information contained on this site at any time without notice, including with respect to equipment, specifications, models, colors, and materials." That's what they say.

Last edited:
It is very difficult to give a 100% evaluation of the experience without actually having the opportunity to use the bike for a few hours, as I would normally have liked to have done, but due to many factors, I was unable to. Given that, I'd still have to say that the experience was similar to a Super Commuter 8S+ and maybe there was some difference in the way the motor responded and was quieter the current vintage than but to be fair, I'd like to at some point in the near future have the opportunity to have that opportunity as well as to try the Allant 8S+. I did notice that the trigger shifter was super, super hard to push to change gears and I know if the clutch is locked on the derailleur it is usually harder, but on my Super Commuter 8S+ I don't have the same level of hardness that the trigger shifter was on the Allante 9.9 in either position. Also there was a loud banging when going over bumps, etc., which MIke showed me after telling him about it was the rear fender mounting being loose at the bottom where it attaches near the middle of the frame behind the motor which is an easy fix. Some considerations or concerns are regarding my desire to use a Redshift ShockStop Suspension Stem if I were to buy the Allante (either model) and their new center cable routing design behind the stem with cover underneath. I don't see a way to use one without major hassles. Bummer. Also, the rear fender rack provisions identical to the Super Commuter 8S+ for only a pannier type bag is a downer. One might think provisions would be there to have those eyelets, but maybe not on carbon fiber, who knows. All in all it was a fun experience and before I plunk down $6k I'll surely arrange for an extended use prior to consideration of purchase. Again, I'll also really really like to try the Allant 8S+ just to compare one to one. I know the display is not the Smartphone Hub, but that should not be a deciding factor, for me anyway. Oh, and 51.5 lbs...why? the battery or: "Bike and frame weights are based off Trek pre-production painted frames at time of publication. Weights may vary in final production."?????

Weight - 18kgs (39.68 lbs.) <---I DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY GOT THIS WEIGHT BUT IT IS 51.5 LBS!!!! AND ON BIKERUMOR.COM IT SAYS 22.1Kg which is 48.72 Lbs???????

Last edited:
The specifications are at the first page of this post. One of the obvious thing is a different battery and motor

Allant+8 one color only and these specifications ($3,999.99)
Frameset
FrameHigh-performance hydroformed e-bike frame w/integrated battery and Motor Armor, internal cable routing, post-mount disc, 5mm QR dropouts
ForkAllant+ rigid alloy fork, 1-1/8'' steel steerer, 100x15mm thru-axle, post-mount disc brake
Wheels
Front HubBontrager sealed bearing, 32-hole 15mm alloy thru-axle
Rear HubBontrager sealed cartridge bearing rear hub, 32-hole, 6-bolt disc, 5mm QR
RimAlex MD35, Tubeless Ready, 32-hole, 35mm width, presta valve
SpokesJ-Bend, 14g, Steel, Black
TireBontrager E6 Hard-Case Lite, reflective, wire bead, 60tpi, 27.5x2.4''
Drivetrain
ShifterShimano Deore Rapid-Fire Plus, 10 speed
Rear DerailleurShimano Deore M6000, mid cage, 42T max cog
*CrankSize: M
ProWheel alloy, 170mm
Size: L, XL
ProWheel alloy, 175mm
CassetteShimano HG500, 11-42, 10 speed
ChainKMC E10
PedalBontrager Satellite City pedal
Components
SaddleBontrager Commuter Comp, 165mm width
SeatpostBontrager Approved, 31.6mm, 8mm offset, 330mm length
*HandlebarSize: M
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 600mm width
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 660mm width
GripsBontrager Satellite Elite, alloy lock-on
*StemSize: M
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree, 70mm length
Size: L
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree, 90mm length
Size: XL
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree, 100mm length
HeadsetFSA Integrated, sealed cartridge bearing, 1-1/8'' top, 1.5'' bottom
BrakeShimano MT200 hydraulic disc
Accessories
BatteryBosch PowerTube 500
ControllerBosch SmartphoneHub
MotorNEW Bosch Performance Speed, 75 Nm, 28 mph / 45 kph
*LightSize: M, L, XL
Trek Lync taillight, 50 lumens
Size: M, L, XL
Trek Lync headlight, 500 lumens
KickstandRear mount, alloy

• Weight

WeightM - 25.85 kg / 57 lbs
Allant+ 8S is 2 colors and these specifications ($4,299)

Frameset
FrameHigh-performance hydroformed e-bike frame w/integrated battery and Motor Armor, internal cable routing, post-mount disc, 5mm QR dropouts
ForkAllant+ rigid alloy fork, 1-1/8'' steel steerer, 100x15mm thru-axle, post-mount disc brake
Wheels
Front HubBontrager sealed bearing, 32-hole 15mm alloy thru-axle
Rear HubBontrager sealed cartridge bearing rear hub, 32-hole, 6-bolt disc, 5mm QR
RimAlex MD35, Tubeless Ready, 32-hole, 35mm width, presta valve
SpokesJ-Bend, 14g, Steel, Black
TireBontrager E6 Hard-Case Lite, reflective, wire bead, 60tpi, 27.5x2.4''
Drivetrain
ShifterShimano Deore Rapid-Fire Plus, 10 speed
Rear DerailleurShimano Deore M6000, mid cage, 42T max cog
*CrankSize: M
ProWheel alloy, 170mm
ProWheel alloy, 175mm
CassetteShimano HG500, 11-42, 10 speed
*ChainSize: M, L, XL
KMC E10
KMC X10e
PedalBontrager Satellite City pedal
Components
SaddleBontrager Commuter Comp, 165mm width
SeatpostBontrager Approved, 31.6mm, 8mm offset, 330mm length
*HandlebarSize: M
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 600mm width
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 660mm width
GripsBontrager Satellite Elite, alloy lock-on
*StemSize: M
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree, 70mm length
Size: L
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree, 90mm length
Size: XL
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree, 100mm length
HeadsetFSA Integrated, sealed cartridge bearing, 1-1/8'' top, 1.5'' bottom
BrakeShimano MT520 4-piston hydraulic disc, post-mount 180mm rotor
Brake RotorShimano RT56, 6-bolt, 180mm
Accessories
BatteryBosch PowerTube 625
ControllerBosch SmartphoneHub
MotorNEW Bosch Performance Speed, 75 Nm, 28 mph / 45 kph
*LightSize: M, L, XL
Trek Lync taillight, 50 lumens
Trek Lync headlight, 500 lumens
KickstandRear mount, alloy

• Weight

WeightM - 25.63 kg / 56.5 lbs

Weight limitThis bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 300 pounds (136 kg).

FYI, the bike was there for a Media Event and will be gone this week so I felt I needed to go try it out before waiting and getting overly anxious awaiting delivery on the ETA of November 25th by most dealers. Like I said, I still need to compare to the Allant 8S+ before I commit to either one but out the gate, it was very, very similar to my existing Super Commuter 8S ...

You've posted some really good info and I'm appreciative that you made the effort to catch that bike whilst it was on site for the media - and then posted about it. How about dual-battery as an additional advantage over your SC - would you add the additional battery if you purchased the Allant+?

At Trek's website, they say you can use panniers or a trunk bag with the minimalist pannier rack. I wondered if that meant they might offer a new bag made for the rack. My dealer wasn't aware of one.

I was pretty excited about the bike when I thought it was going to be 40 pounds. But I after giving it some thought, and after two different weights were posted, 41 seemed pretty unrealistic. But 51 seemed high. I guess I would have expected or been happy with something in the mid-40s. I had two main targets in mind for another bike: 1). a light, stealth (and lite assist) commuter - the Desiknio was at the top of my list or a 2). full suspension commuter (maybe the new R&M Super Delite). These were two areas I want/wanted to explore: 1). a commuter that relies mostly on my power - with some light assist or 2). full suspension - never experienced that before. I thought the new carbon Trek might be a middle ground on #1 (lighter, stealthier but also extremely long range). So now, as the weight comes in at 51 pounds, I'm kind of on the fence. They say carbon is more compliant (like full suspension, I've never ridden a carbon bike) - but I wonder if that holds or is noticeable at 50+ pounds?

Back