TQ motor

Really hoping that more bike manufacturers use the TQ motor as I'm really interested in long-term reliability. I also like the trend to smaller motors like this that provide a more moderate amount of assistance and lighter weight.

I must say I'm a bit surprised that Trek wasn't able to get an exclusive. So Trek, BMC, and now Scott are all using this motor.

Looks like they're going the 'Bosch route'......by offering the motor to everyone.

Two things I don't like about the Scott TQ powered gravel bike is it's a gravel bike with a single front chain ring and really wide tires (50mm) and it's not offering a handlebar button to change the power levels
I prefer the Trek's road version, with the double rings in the front.

The big plus for me is my favourite local bike shop sells Scott bikes, and another really good local bike shop sells Trek bikes.

Captain Slow, just went to the link you provided. I like this bike!
I watched the video from the linked page and, if I'm not mistaken, the bike can be fitted with a kick stand. :eek:
I know a true roadie would never consider one, but if I had the option to install one I would in a heart beat.

If anyone has a chance to test ride any of the TQ motor road bikes, I hope you post a thorough report. I’m especially interested in the motor noise level and feel compared to a creo. I do see that the trek geometry is much closer to the relaxed geometry of the creo than the others.

I’m interested in test riding the road version too when it becomes available and in particular hearing how quiet the motor is. Scott is not unfamiliar to me as I always enjoy riding my Metrix 10.

IMG_20200519_1413530.jpg

I do'n't know about the rest of you, but where I live, on Vancouver Island off the coast of British Columbia, there aren't many bike shops that bring in expensive e-road bikes to display on their showroom floor. They'll bring one in if you order it (and put money down), but they won't bring them in on spec.
The only exception to that is a local shop that sells Specialized bikes. They usually have a couple of Creos in stock and prospective buyers can arrange short test rides. That's what I did before the pandemic hit. I was able to test ride two Creos (aluminum and carbon framed) back-to-back.
Unfortunately, there is very little chance I'll get to test ride the Trek, BMC, or Scott bikes with the TQ motor. :(

There are only two shops in Edmonton, AB listed as Scott dealers one which happens to be the same store where I purchased my Metrix several years ago. It is one of the largest stores in the capital region and would likely be more inclined to bring in higher end e-rides.

There is mention of pricing (albeit in Euros) in this blog but since it's not official yet, MSRP would be anyone’s guess at this point in time but it does give you an idea of what the models might fetch. The top models in each category include REs.

i’d love to test ride one of these! will have to check around a bit. there’s a 2x 12 speed dura ace version 😇

they’re claiming 12kg.

the blue version even fades to black where it meets the motor hardware and seat post for max style and stealth!

3E15DF63-C090-41B9-B30E-020089D9480B.jpeg

I'm not a big fan of a one-piece stem and handlebar and the color on the Solace gravel eRide 20 is REALLY ugly, with its black paint speckles. This is the model I like, but not with that hideous paintjob.

Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 7.00.53 PM.png

It appears as though there will be roughly $4000 in savings if one opts for the Ultegra Solace eRIDE 20 over the Dura Ace equipped eRIDE 10. The 20 sports Syncros carbon wheels where the 10 prefers Zipp 303s.

I have to admit that the blue glitter finish and clean cockpit are quite seductive.

1671850462091.png
1671850608519.png

I'm not a big fan of a one-piece stem and handlebar and the color on the Solace gravel eRide 20 is REALLY ugly, with its black paint speckles. This is the model I like, but not with that hideous paintjob.
I see your point as there’s no real manner of customizing or adjusting for fit. I ride a CD Supersix EVO with an aero two-piece design bar/stem and don’t really mind it at all but that’s because the bike fit and rode so well after a few tweaks of the seat and post at the LBS. I actually have more fun riding it than I do the Creo.

I also agree that some of the other color selections in either Solace versions leave little to be desired or might take some time getting used to…okay maybe a lot more time.

Solace Gravel eRIDE 10 -

1671855960190.png

Lights integrated and connected to the main battery, on the right the Syncros kickstand.

1671856026696.png

How loud or quiet is the TQ motor on the Solace you ask?

I own a first generation Domane+ (65Nm) and just test rode the new Domane+ SLR $9000 with the tQ motor around the empty trek store parking lot for about 10 mins.
1) As expected, the bike is more nimble with its lower weight, less bulky motor underneath and 800 series carbon frame.
2) The power up/down buttons on the handle bars are ergonomic and really nice.
3) It had 32 mm tires, which are a nice midway between gravel 35mm and the 28mm road bike tires that most lightweight non e-bikes come with.
4) The motor is certainly quiet, but I dont find the Bosch motor to be noisy, so I may not be as discriminating as others.
5) I found the three power levels limiting. My Bosch has 8 and each has unlimited customization through the Nyon headset
6) I found the most powerful assist underwhelming, especially for the limited range that the battery has at that level.

Summary:
If you are a strong rider (which you are likely to be if you are buying a $9,000 bike) the tQ motor will be fine as an occasional assist.
You can certainly ride this bike undetected with other riders because it's quiet and the motor isn't visible.
But if you live in the hills, or are a more casual/older/medically limited rider the bike doesn't offer enough assist to justify the price.

For me: If I'm going to bear the burden of the extra weight of an e-bike, then I want the option to occasionally use serious power to get me home if a) I run out of strength, b) run into headwinds, rain, darkness, or c) actually win the race. I'll keep the Bosch.

I'm jealous that you got to test ride a Domane+ SLR. Where I live (small town on Vancouver Island) none of the bike shops that sell Trek bikes will bring in this bike to sit on their sales floor. The only way I can get one is to order it, along with a downpayment.
Interestingly, my local Trek shop has 2 Trek Fuel EX mountain bikes (with the same TQ motor), which are $9,000 and $11,000. Sadly, the cheapest Domane+ SLR in Canada is just over $13,000 Can.

This is quite understandable. The trek salesman admitted that there has been very little interest in the road e-bikes, but the mountains bikes are selling well. High torque motors are a clear advantage for mountain bikes, but the road bike community is still scratching its head bout e-bikes for several reasons:

1) A casual rider is not going to spend $8,000+ on a road bike. So only serious riders will look at road e-bikes.
2) In the last decade high rpm - low torque "spinning" has become more popular than low rpm - high torque "grinding", and front chain rings have dropped from 52 down to 48 as a result. As a result, having a high torque motor is seen as less of an advantage, and newer e-bikes have much less torque than earlier models.
3) Weight is still seen as the ultimate evil. Buying a bike that is twice as heavy and twice the price as the same analogue version is nonsensical for a lot of road bikers.
4) In the last 4 years, Trek has gone from Bosch, to Fazua and now to tQ (an unknown company). Every time they change vendors, your $10,000 bike is instantly worthless, unsellable, and unfixable. Analogue bikes dont depreciate like that.

This is quite understandable. The trek salesman admitted that there has been very little interest in the road e-bikes, but the mountains bikes are selling well. High torque motors are a clear advantage for mountain bikes, but the road bike community is still scratching its head bout e-bikes for several reasons:

1) A casual rider is not going to spend $8,000+ on a road bike. So only serious riders will look at road e-bikes.
2) In the last decade high rpm - low torque "spinning" has become more popular than low rpm - high torque "grinding", and front chain rings have dropped from 52 down to 48 as a result. As a result, having a high torque motor is seen as less of an advantage, and newer e-bikes have much less torque than earlier models.
3) Weight is still seen as the ultimate evil. Buying a bike that is twice as heavy and twice the price as the same analogue version is nonsensical for a lot of road bikers.
4) In the last 4 years, Trek has gone from Bosch, to Fazua and now to tQ (an unknown company). Every time they change vendors, your $10,000 bike is instantly worthless, unsellable, and unfixable. Analogue bikes dont depreciate like that.
I do wonder why Trek went from Fazua to TQ when the new Fazua 60 motor sounds comparable to TQ and they had an existing relationship. At the time I assumed Trek had co developed the TQ motor like Specialized & Mahle and it would be exclusive. But that isn’t the case with Scott and many others now also using TQ. The Trek Fazua deal must have broken down somehow. Or just the usual Trek scattergun approach.

Also in U.K. & EU the e bike motion/Mahle hub motor has proved m popular with road & gravel cyclists. Particularly older cyclists who want to keep up with friends or club runs. It’s comparatively weak but gives enough boost to stay with the chain gang & get over rolling hills and is light, reliable and pretty low priced & on a wide range of manufacturers bikes. I also think when roadies are looking at analogue carbon fibre bikes with prices already in region of £5k to £8K without any motor, then the prices for TQ equipped bikes probably doesn’t faze them too much.

Perhaps there is a stronger road cycling tradition here then in North America.

Back