Scott Solace 20 eRide after 3 Months

Michaeldavid

Region
USA
City
Clemmons
A little over 3 months ago I purchased a Scott Solace 20 eRide. If you are not familiar it's a road bike with a mid drive TQ HPR50 motor. My first impressions where impressive. I've been in rides with other manufacturers road versions and they all had a high pitched sound telling you when that motor was engaged. This Scott model, you can't hear it at all. The tires are 700X38 and again, impressive. They roll like a regular road bike using 28s. There are 3 levels of help which is controlled by a display on the top tube. Now to what I'm disappointed.

1) Water bottle cage on the seat tube blocks the power charging port. The shop sent a note to Scott asking why and what the solution is. It took several weeks but the answer was to buy and install an adapter that allows the cage to sit high enough for the power cable to be plugged in. OK, not happy but installed that item.
2) This model comes with Di2 Ultegra. The front derailleur kept dropping the chain to the outside. A note was sent to Scott who suggested using the app to make sure it was adjusted properly. Already tried and was still not working. The shop finally installed a 105 Di2 front derailleur and that seems to have fixed the issue but not the problem. Still no answer from Scott on what they plan to do to fix the problem however several other shops have reported this same issue and a few have stopped selling them all together.
3) This last issue is for safety. To change the power settings you have to remove your hand from the handlebars, look down at the top tube, find the button and identify what the existing setting is, and where you want to go. The button only allows you to move in one direction at a time, all the way up and then all the way down. After several months Scott did not responded but TQ, the manufacturer, did saying they had a handlebar remote control similar to what was launched of the MTB version and the same motor. However, TQ have not yet provided the description and part number.

To be honest, I'm about ready to return the bike and ask for my money back. If Scott and TQ would respond in a timely manner and fix the issues, I'd be happy. The HPR-50 motor is a perfect fit. It's quiet, smooth and has enough power for my needs. Several other manufacturers, Trek and BMC to name two are using it. Trek's Domane + versions come with remotes on the handlebar on the left and right side and a slightly different display. Also, they installed 3 screw holes for the water bottle cage, no need to purchase an additional part to plug in the power charger.

I'll provide an update if there are any but am interested in hearing if others are experiencing similar issues.

Thanks

Disappointed Scott eRider customer.

A little over 3 months ago I purchased a Scott Solace 20 eRide. If you are not familiar it's a road bike with a mid drive TQ HPR50 motor. My first impressions where impressive. I've been in rides with other manufacturers road versions and they all had a high pitched sound telling you when that motor was engaged. This Scott model, you can't hear it at all. The tires are 700X38 and again, impressive. They roll like a regular road bike using 28s. There are 3 levels of help which is controlled by a display on the top tube. Now to what I'm disappointed.

1) Water bottle cage on the seat tube blocks the power charging port. The shop sent a note to Scott asking why and what the solution is. It took several weeks but the answer was to buy and install an adapter that allows the cage to sit high enough for the power cable to be plugged in. OK, not happy but installed that item.
2) This model comes with Di2 Ultegra. The front derailleur kept dropping the chain to the outside. A note was sent to Scott who suggested using the app to make sure it was adjusted properly. Already tried and was still not working. The shop finally installed a 105 Di2 front derailleur and that seems to have fixed the issue but not the problem. Still no answer from Scott on what they plan to do to fix the problem however several other shops have reported this same issue and a few have stopped selling them all together.
3) This last issue is for safety. To change the power settings you have to remove your hand from the handlebars, look down at the top tube, find the button and identify what the existing setting is, and where you want to go. The button only allows you to move in one direction at a time, all the way up and then all the way down. After several months Scott did not responded but TQ, the manufacturer, did saying they had a handlebar remote control similar to what was launched of the MTB version and the same motor. However, TQ have not yet provided the description and part number.

To be honest, I'm about ready to return the bike and ask for my money back. If Scott and TQ would respond in a timely manner and fix the issues, I'd be happy. The HPR-50 motor is a perfect fit. It's quiet, smooth and has enough power for my needs. Several other manufacturers, Trek and BMC to name two are using it. Trek's Domane + versions come with remotes on the handlebar on the left and right side and a slightly different display. Also, they installed 3 screw holes for the water bottle cage, no need to purchase an additional part to plug in the power charger.

I'll provide an update if there are any but am interested in hearing if others are experiencing similar issues.

Thanks

Do you have any developments for the remote. Is it possible to use a Trek Domane+ Handlebar Remote on the Solace?

I've now have the mountain bike remote but have not tried to install it. I did hook it up and it does work, just can't connect it to the handlebars. Too small. It's designed to fit on skinny straight mountain bike bars.

Not sure if the Trek Domane handlebar remote will work but if I had to guess, yes. But, you would likely need their display. The motor is no different. Just my thoughts.

Mike

I fellow I ride with has the Trek Domane+ with the TQ motor. He had the same chain drop problem that you had and after the bike shop and a Trek regional tech did multiple changes to the front shifter they ended up installing the 105 front derailleur (he also has Di2) and the bike is now shifting properly, with zero chain drop.
Other than the chain drop problem he's very happy with the bike.

I came very close to ordering a Scott Solace 20 eRide, but I was told the waiting time would be around 6 months, so I passed. Now I'm glad I didn't.

Do you have any developments for the remote. Is it possible to use a Trek Domane+ Handlebar Remote on the Solace?
Is it connected directly to the motor or to the display?

Icône de traduction vérifiée par la communauté

The unit I have connects to the display only and why I think you need both. I've watched videos of the Trek version and I believe they have done their own adaptation and software development.

I'm still don't have an answer as to why my Di2 Ultegra front derailleur keeps dropping my chain but the 105 Di2 derailleur I'm currently using works pretty good. It hesitates periodically when I ask it to shift. My feeling is Scott did not fully test the Solace 20 eRide and drove it to market just to stay competitive. I've sold Treks and ridden them most of my cycling career and have been to their manufacturing plant. They make good stuff. Scott is made HQ is over seas and sees the US as a secondary market and that's why it takes so long to get answers and new parts.

You may ask why I don't ride them, well the shop I work part time a few days a week, doesn't carry them. I believe is supporting those who employee me.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I fellow I ride with has the Trek Domane+ with the TQ motor. He had the same chain drop problem that you had and after the bike shop and a Trek regional tech did multiple changes to the front shifter they ended up installing the 105 front derailleur (he also has Di2) and the bike is now shifting properly, with zero chain drop.
Other than the chain drop problem he's very happy with the bike.

I came very close to ordering a Scott Solace 20 eRide, but I was told the waiting time would be around 6 months, so I passed. Now I'm glad I didn't.

it’s an interesting problem. while the 12 speed di2 dura ace and ultra derailleurs are a new design, identical to each other, the 105 version is actually more or less the same as the previous version. it does shift slower but i doubt that’s the reason, i’m guessing it’s the geometry. not sure what the chain line on the solace looks like, but maybe the TQ is still a little too wide for 2x?

IMG_0655.jpeg

It is strange that both the Scott and the Trek might have this issue. Scott uses a Shimano crankset, while Trek uses a Praxis. The bottom bracket axle on the TQ motor is 135mm, which should leave plenty of room for a 2x. The early Creos, even though they were 1x, had problems with the chain kicking off, frequent enough that Specialized added a chain guard. Maybe it’s from shifting while too much pedaling power is being applied.

Hello: I just bought a new Scott Solace Eride 20. I've also had this problem happen to me: "The bottle cage on the seat tube blocks the electric charging port" I solved it with a clamp. I attach the image

Attachments

• Cargador.jpg
    Cargador.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I am 68 years old and due to a medical problem I have not been able to swim on a bike for many years. Now I'm starting again and I've practically had to learn to ride a bike again.
For greater safety I need the controls for the TQ motor on the handlebars. I have sent an email to TQ to find out if I can install them on the Scott bicycle and they literally answered me this: "This remote was developed by Trek and is manufactured and sold by Trek. However, this remote is compatible with any HPR50 system, so it can also be connected to your Scott Solace."
I have ordered them, they will take at least a month. When I have them installed I will let you know. I attach an image of the Trek maintenance manual where you can see what to buy: 1 Botones de asistencia remota — W5264978 and Cable divisor en y — W5286202
I'm sorry for my English

Attachments

• Mando_Remoto_1.jpg
    Mando_Remoto_1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Mando_Remoto_2.jpg
    Mando_Remoto_2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 150
For safety reasons this is something that Scott should have included with every road e-bike they sell.
i guess i’m the exception but i feel like it’s OK as an option. you don’t even have to look to change the assist level, and changing the assist isn’t a safety issue (like braking or steering!) anyway. i always prefer simpler and on both my road e-bikes have opted not to include the extra wires and buttons of power remotes. roadies can get their water bottles out without crashing… so?

the much better solution IMO is integration with the di2 top hood buttons. the addition of extra wires and buttons is a kludge when pretty much every electronic group set already has option buttons. i believe there are people doing this on the specialized SL bikes - but not yet for TQ or Mahle X20.

A couple of years ago I took a $10,000 carbon Creo for a test ride. While riding along I went to increase the power level just before coming to a steep hill. The road was heavily shaded with trees, so I didn't see the big pothole in front of me as I took my hand off of the handlebar to reach over to the small display on the top tube.
I came VERY close to crashing when I hit the pothole. If the bike had remote shifter, which I think it now does, it would have been a minor issue, instead of a potential serious crash.

Hoy recogí la bicicleta del taller. He instalado el control remoto del manillar Trek. Funcionan perfectamente en mi SCOTT SOLACE eRIDE 20

Attachments

• Manillar-Remoto_1.jpg
    Manillar-Remoto_1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Manillar-Remoto_2.jpg
    Manillar-Remoto_2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 64
  • Manillar-Remoto_3.jpg
    Manillar-Remoto_3.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Today I picked up the bike from the workshop. I have installed the Trek Handlebar Remote. They work perfectly on my SCOTT SOLACE eRIDE 20
Cool!! This is something I want to do.

Did you install the remote yourself or did a shop do it for you? Did you need to program anything or just install the switches and plug them in?

Thanks

As an update to my first posting the chain drop. Scott finally sent a solution, a new front big chain ring. So far it has fixed the issue of the chain coming off when shifting into the big gear. I think I'm a reasonable person and try to give companies a reasonable amount of time to resolve issues. In this case I'm still disappointed. Months before a solution and no, "...sorry for..." fill in the blank.

I haven't installed the remote. Still working out how to adapt it to my handlebars.

Mike

I just got the Trek handlebar remotes that J.A.S. mentioned. I still need to mount them on the bars, but I can confirm they work and it's a plug-n-play affair.

Where did you order them from, Trek direct or from a shop? How long did it take to arrive? I'm in the midst of relocating from NC to WA.

Thanks Mike

Cool!! This is something I want to do.

Did you install the remote yourself or did a shop do it for you? Did you need to program anything or just install the switches and plug them in?
They installed it in the shop where I bought the bike. No program is needed, just connect the cables to the control panel as I put in the diagram previously, it's a plug-n-play affair. Despite being a product manufactured by Trek, it can be installed for all TQ HPR50 engines. For better aesthetics the brake and switch cables are joined with a heat-shrinkable tube.

Attachments

• Foto_1.jpg
    Foto_1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 72
  • Foto_2.jpg
    Foto_2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Back