Creo vs Domane+ SLR w TQ motor - anyone ride both?

Toman

Region
USA
I'm wanting to add either a Creo or Domane+ SLR (with new TQ motor) in the near term future.

I've ready everything I can hear and elsewhere. I was just curious if anyone with direct experience riding both bikes has any additional commentary to add?

Wife has a Vado SL so I'm already familiar with SL 1.1 Motor from that perspective. I have a specialized dealer close by that I'll be demoing a Creo here shortly. I'm aware of the recent upgrade on the Levo SL side to the 1.2 Motor and I'm trying to decide how much weight to place on that -- biggest factor there being that I would like to have the bike for this summer/fall riding season.

Closest Domane+ SLR to me is a bit of a drive so It may be a bit before I can get out there. If I wind up riding both I'll share my thoughts on here.

Maybe I'm overcautious but I tend to shy away from newly released motors - particularly during the early part of their first year of availability since repair/replace parts availability can be limited.

Perhaps consider finding a deal on a used Creo for this year and re-evaluate after the TQ and SL 1.2 motors have had a good bit more time in the field.

I have a Creo and I have been watching the TQ with interest as I do like to quietness and the additional torque. From the road bike point of view, I have seen this motor in 3 bikes, Trek , Pinerello and BMC and all the reviews have been positive. However, when compared directly to the current Creo, the battery life is quite down. The Creo claims 80 miles on main battery when used in eco and I can verify this being accurate on a flat ride and even managed a 100 mile ride on eco alone on a single charge. However, look at the TQ bikes and range is only quoted at 60 miles. This may be only 20 miles, but in percentage terms, this is significant. TQ motor and battery is a similar weight to the SL 1.1 and uses 36V system rather than 48V of Specialized. It seems the Specialized is more efficient and the SL 1.2 will further this from what I have seen (in lower power modes).

When I was looking for a lightweight e-bike the Trek came in at about 10 lbs heavier than the Creo bike. The new Trek e-bikes are a lot lighter but still 3 lbs heavier than the Creo bikes. Both are good Class III bikes that provide a power assist for wind or hills that is very natural. The power profile for the Creo bike that I own and ride is very smooth. Other bikes at the time had a problem where when one got up to 18 mph it would feel like the brakes were being applied which is no fun when going up a hill.

If taking test rides on bikes be sure to go where there is a hill to evaluate the power transistion.

I would take the Creo over any e road bike because it is the only one (I believe) that let's you control the level of assist from the drops (or wherever you want). Having to cycle through a button on the top tube will get old very quickly. If you found me a bike lighter than an S-Works Creo, that assisted to 28mph, and that let me control assist with hands on the brake hoods, I would consider it.

If you found me a bike lighter than an S-Works Creo, that assisted to 28mph, and that let me control assist with hands on the brake hoods, I would consider it.
???. Edit: yeah, what Deacon said
Screenshot_20230529-193455~2.png

I would take the Creo over any e road bike because it is the only one (I believe) that let's you control the level of assist from the drops (or wherever you want). Having to cycle through a button on the top tube will get old very quickly. If you found me a bike lighter than an S-Works Creo, that assisted to 28mph, and that let me control assist with hands on the brake hoods, I would consider it.
Changed my mind! They closed the gap. Now I'd rather have a Trek Domane+ SLR 9 Project One Shimano except for dealer issues. At least, the Creo needs constant updates. My Specialized dealer does these for me on the spot, while I wait, for free, in 5 minutes. My Trek dealer (who also does Specialized) takes 2 weeks and charges $25 for an update. If my Trek dealer were good, I'd look very hard at it.

The TQ on the Trek in a much newer motor than the SL1.1 on the current Creo. We know the SL1.2 has now appeared on the Levo and this will be the new motor on the new Creo and features stronger torque, more power and better efficiency in lower power settings. For like to like, compare the new Creo with Trek, otherwise you will likely be able to get a bargain on the old model when the new one arrives. The old bike is still a cracking ride.

The TQ on the Trek in a much newer motor than the SL1.1 on the current Creo. We know the SL1.2 has now appeared on the Levo and this will be the new motor on the new Creo and features stronger torque, more power and better efficiency in lower power settings. For like to like, compare the new Creo with Trek, otherwise you will likely be able to get a bargain on the old model when the new one arrives. The old bike is still a cracking ride.
do we know if the new Creo is a little lighter than the old one?

The Domane felt like a Class 2 e-bike with its bulk and weight. The Creo felt like a normal road bike and its Class III pedal assist is very smooth. No sense of braking when getting to 18 mph with the Credo and so no problems with powering up a hill and maintaining momentum - like non electric road bike.

Since you asked, here are some comparisons of Creo to a new Domane +: As a bike addict, I have really enjoyed my Creo, I put 17,000 excellent miles on it since late 2020. It has been perfect for my 70 year old limitations. I added a new Domane + this month and it is impressive, as it should be for the price. I think I expected more advantages from the new Domane. There are some small details for comparison, and one bigger issue, but I don't want to criticize either bike when I'm actually loving both. Of course they're lightweight, the Domane is 2.5 lbs lighter, feels close to a road bike, the quiet TQ motor was a big attraction, the newer Trek display is informative, the app interface works great, the design is narrow, the cable routing is clean. I chose a 12speed 2x Di2 which is less clunky than my Specialized Shimano 11 speed 1x, but they both work fine, I'm anticipating fewer chain drops due to the front derailleur cage on the Domane. However- for better or for worse, the max power output is less on the Trek and I have to (get to?) work a bit more on hills, which was optional on the Creo. I became spoiled by that exhilarating boost of the Specialized 1.1 motor, starting with my first ride on it- plenty of power for fast and long rides, and the motor whine was always OK, maybe I got lazy having a power reserve. The TQ is smooth and quiet, but top speeds are slower on flat sprints, and definitely slower, requiring more work, on steep ascents. So-The Domane is a more refined but has less muscle. It will be hard to part with (sell) the Creo. You actually can have too many bikes, I've come to realize!

Beautiful review comparison. Thanks for that. On the flat sprints, with the trek, you can still quite easily get to 28 mph right? You would think it has enough muscle to top itself out and then once you lose the assist it feels a bit lighter than the Creo no?

Since you asked, here are some comparisons of Creo to a new Domane +: As a bike addict, I have really enjoyed my Creo, I put 17,000 excellent miles on it since late 2020. It has been perfect for my 70 year old limitations. I added a new Domane + this month and it is impressive, as it should be for the price. I think I expected more advantages from the new Domane. There are some small details for comparison, and one bigger issue, but I don't want to criticize either bike when I'm actually loving both. Of course they're lightweight, the Domane is 2.5 lbs lighter, feels close to a road bike, the quiet TQ motor was a big attraction, the newer Trek display is informative, the app interface works great, the design is narrow, the cable routing is clean. I chose a 12speed 2x Di2 which is less clunky than my Specialized Shimano 11 speed 1x, but they both work fine, I'm anticipating fewer chain drops due to the front derailleur cage on the Domane. However- for better or for worse, the max power output is less on the Trek and I have to (get to?) work a bit more on hills, which was optional on the Creo. I became spoiled by that exhilarating boost of the Specialized 1.1 motor, starting with my first ride on it- plenty of power for fast and long rides, and the motor whine was always OK, maybe I got lazy having a power reserve. The TQ is smooth and quiet, but top speeds are slower on flat sprints, and definitely slower, requiring more work, on steep ascents. So-The Domane is a more refined but has less muscle. It will be hard to part with (sell) the Creo. You actually can have too many bikes, I've come to realize!
Very interested to read this comparison. On paper the TQ puts out 50nm torque and peak power 300w versus the SL 1 motor at 35nm and a max of only 240w output. so -on paper- the Domane should be better on hills. I've only seen emtb comparisons, Levo SL v Trek Fuel ex for example not road bikes so this is fascinating. The emtb reviews said the TQ wasn't as good on battery range because of the extra torque output. So it's surprising to hear the TQ was weaker on steep climbs. That's where I'd be hoping for more grunt and where the new Specialized SL 1.2 motor sounds good with an increased 45nm & peak watts of 320w.

Is the low gearing similiar on both your bikes? As I find it's important to have enough gears to be able to keep up a high tempo/cadence to get the most from the SL motor. Wondering if your Domane has higher gearing for instance.

Yes, the published power and torque values led me to expect a bit more performance from the Trek (again- not a complaint, it's a great bike). My first several 25 mile rides seemed less powerful on the Trek. So I compared the bikes on a steep ascent, alternating the bikes on a 7% to10% grade, distance about 1/2 mile, highest power settings. I tried to push at my personal maximal sustainable effort, but this is subjective, next I'll monitor HR. Cadence for both was in my usual range, I believe 75-90. Gear ratios go as low as 34-34 on the Trek. I did 3 ascents on each bike. The numbers were consistently 3 minutes on the Creo, and 3 minutes plus 20 to 40 seconds on the lighter, quieter Domane. Now I'll research older reports (Promotions, reviews, Youtube videos) that compare this performance as I seem to remember several that claimed greater power if not battery range on the Domane +.

Yes, the published power and torque values led me to expect a bit more performance from the Trek (again- not a complaint, it's a great bike). My first several 25 mile rides seemed less powerful on the Trek. So I compared the bikes on a steep ascent, alternating the bikes on a 7% to10% grade, distance about 1/2 mile, highest power settings. I tried to push at my personal maximal sustainable effort, but this is subjective, next I'll monitor HR. Cadence for both was in my usual range, I believe 75-90. Gear ratios go as low as 34-34 on the Trek. I did 3 ascents on each bike. The numbers were consistently 3 minutes on the Creo, and 3 minutes plus 20 to 40 seconds on the lighter, quieter Domane. Now I'll research older reports (Promotions, reviews, Youtube videos) that compare this performance as I seem to remember several that claimed greater power if not battery range on the Domane +.
That is a big difference. It's strange. I have no experience with the TQ myself but I remember that one of the mechanics at a large local bike shop that sell both Specialized and Trek, said he couldn't feel much difference on the new Trek Fuel EX (TQ) and his own Speccy Levo SL when he tried out the Trek. When chatting I remember he'd also been surprised because on paper the TQ should have felt more powerful.

We're certainly getting spoilt for choice and as you say, both are great bikes. And now Bosch have just announced a lightweight motor system, the SX with similiar specs; 50nm and same weight as the other lightweight systems, but with a whopping 600w peak power! Interesting to see which bikes use this new system.

I'm really surprised that the Creo feels more powerful on the hills compared to the Domane. More torque, more watts, and less weight should make the Trek faster up the hills.
I noticed that Bosch has a new smaller, lighter motor out. Motor and battery only weigh 8 pounds. It will interesting to see how this motor/battery combo compares to the Trek and Creo when one or more of the bike companies puts the Bosch motor in a light road bike.
The Bosch motor peaks out at 600W.

Admittedly we just have the one trek review so far but seems the money is no object best choice remains an S-Works Creo, ideally the new model with nicer display unit

Back