Creo vs Domane+ SLR w TQ motor - anyone ride both?

Beautiful review comparison. Thanks for that. On the flat sprints, with the trek, you can still quite easily get to 28 mph right? You would think it has enough muscle to top itself out and then once you lose the assist it feels a bit lighter than the Creo no?
It is hard for me to get the Domane + up to 28MPH on flat sprints. I do it more easily on the Creo. The Domane is the more rigorous workout. Mostly I ride a bit slower on it.

Yes, the published power and torque values led me to expect a bit more performance from the Trek (again- not a complaint, it's a great bike). My first several 25 mile rides seemed less powerful on the Trek. So I compared the bikes on a steep ascent, alternating the bikes on a 7% to10% grade, distance about 1/2 mile, highest power settings. I tried to push at my personal maximal sustainable effort, but this is subjective, next I'll monitor HR. Cadence for both was in my usual range, I believe 75-90. Gear ratios go as low as 34-34 on the Trek. I did 3 ascents on each bike. The numbers were consistently 3 minutes on the Creo, and 3 minutes plus 20 to 40 seconds on the lighter, quieter Domane. Now I'll research older reports (Promotions, reviews, Youtube videos) that compare this performance as I seem to remember several that claimed greater power if not battery range on the Domane +.
You say you compared your creo and domane + slr on the highest setting. I wonder if you had the domane pedal response set to 100%, along with its support and max power settings. I read other owners say that with the pedal response maxed out the torque/power comes on early and then feels like it lets down as you continue on. Could that explain why it feels like less power on a climb than your creo? Others have said they prefer the feel with the pedal response set lower. What’s your experience with that?

Good question regarding the pedal response, and I have compared those pedal response settings from slow to rapid, they work well as expected but I don’t notice much difference in maximal power. Again, the Domane power is fine, and quiet, but the Creo does seem to have more acceleration and speed for my level of effort.

For me frameset geometry comes first. If the geo isn't right all else is pointless.

Interestingly, a medium Creo and a 56cm Domane+ have virtually identical geometry as far as stack, reach, and tube angle go. Sitting on the bikes they will feel virtually identical. This is great if you/your wife like the seated fit!

Where they differ significantly is chainstays and wheelbase. Creo chainstays are about 2cm shorter than Domane+, and wheelbase a whopping 4ish cm shorter in the medium size. The Domane+ in this regard is like a light touring bike and the Creo a recreational racing bike. Personally I love long and stable - I'm happy to zone out and cruise, don't like zippier bikes that swim back and forth quickly. I'll trade stable for quick 7 days a week. But that's just me! Most people I think prefer a sportier, tighter frame.

The other thing I'd need to know before thinking about anything else is real world max tire clearance. Manufacturers claim 42mm for Creo and 40mm for Domane+, so pretty close on paper. For me - a lazy, zoned out, sometimes gravel, sometimes touring cruiser - the wider option the better.

For me frameset geometry comes first. If the geo isn't right all else is pointless.

Interestingly, a medium Creo and a 56cm Domane+ have virtually identical geometry as far as stack, reach, and tube angle go. Sitting on the bikes they will feel virtually identical. This is great if you/your wife like the seated fit!

Where they differ significantly is chainstays and wheelbase. Creo chainstays are about 2cm shorter than Domane+, and wheelbase a whopping 4ish cm shorter in the medium size. The Domane+ in this regard is like a light touring bike and the Creo a recreational racing bike. Personally I love long and stable - I'm happy to zone out and cruise, don't like zippier bikes that swim back and forth quickly. I'll trade stable for quick 7 days a week. But that's just me! Most people I think prefer a sportier, tighter frame.

The other thing I'd need to know before thinking about anything else is real world max tire clearance. Manufacturers claim 42mm for Creo and 40mm for Domane+, so pretty close on paper. For me - a lazy, zoned out, sometimes gravel, sometimes touring cruiser - the wider option the better.
Interesting analysis but you have a few facts wrong. First of all you seem to have compared a medium Creo with a Large Domane +. Specialized calls medium a 54, so comparing it with a 54 Domane + SLR shows the Creo to have 17 mm higher stack, 5 mm longer reach, 4mm shorter chainstay and 8mm shorter wheelbase than the same sized Domane + SLR. When you factor in the 15mm riser handle bar to the creo’s stack height it makes it significantly more upright. The longer reach flattens that out a little, though. The chain stay and wheelbase differences are much less than your post says.

Interesting analysis but you have a few facts wrong. First of all you seem to have compared a medium Creo with a Large Domane +. Specialized calls medium a 54, so comparing it with a 54 Domane + SLR shows the Creo to have 17 mm higher stack, 5 mm longer reach, 4mm shorter chainstay and 8mm shorter wheelbase than the same sized Domane + SLR. When you factor in the 15mm riser handle bar to the creo’s stack height it makes it significantly more upright. The longer reach flattens that out a little, though. The chain stay and wheelbase differences are much less than your post says.
Totally get it thanks. I picked the Domane+ with the closest reach, stack, VTT and SO to the medium Creo. The size names are semantics; the geo numbers are the actual size and shape of the frame.

So essentially the 56cm Trek is the same as the Medium Spec, regardless of what they call them.

I'd like to see this motor on a light e-road bike too.
It would be great if a company like Giant put this motor on an e-road bike similar to their Defy model. I've owned a Defy for 5 year and have really enjoyed riding it, but I doubt Giant will go with a company like Bosch.
We more likely to see this motor used by a company like Cannondale, since Cannondale have used Bosch motors on their ebikes (I own a Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3, with the gen 4 Bosch motor (9,000 km and counting).

Admittedly we just have the one trek review so far but seems the money is no object best choice remains an S-Works Creo, ideally the new model with nicer display unit
Hi, I’m a 2020 CREO Expert EVO owner and waiting to test ride the new Creo 2 Expert. I looked at the build for the new S Works CREO but it does seem a bit pricier for what you get compared to the CREO 2 Expert. I see specs for the Creo 2 that show the overall weight to be a couple of lbs less than my current bike and 6-8 db less noise from the new SL 1.2 motor. I don’t know how this compares to the advertised .15 tonality level of Trek’s TQ motor. My SL 1.1 whines a bit on the lower gears on uphill climbs. Anyone have any real-time experience with the Creo 2 motor?

Yes, the published power and torque values led me to expect a bit more performance from the Trek (again- not a complaint, it's a great bike). My first several 25 mile rides seemed less powerful on the Trek. So I compared the bikes on a steep ascent, alternating the bikes on a 7% to10% grade, distance about 1/2 mile, highest power settings. I tried to push at my personal maximal sustainable effort, but this is subjective, next I'll monitor HR. Cadence for both was in my usual range, I believe 75-90. Gear ratios go as low as 34-34 on the Trek. I did 3 ascents on each bike. The numbers were consistently 3 minutes on the Creo, and 3 minutes plus 20 to 40 seconds on the lighter, quieter Domane. Now I'll research older reports (Promotions, reviews, Youtube videos) that compare this performance as I seem to remember several that claimed greater power if not battery range on the Domane +.
I really enjoyed reading your review and I feel the same about my CREO SL Expert Carbon EVO. It’s been a great ride. I’m currently waiting on my LBS to arrange a test ride on the new S Works CREO 2. Specialized told me they recommend 38c tires for the CREO 2 but I notice the specs for the S Works CREO 2 Roval wheels allow 28-42. I prefer a 32c for the road or light gravel with my current CREO. Any thoughts?

I have moved on from a 2021 Creo to a Domane +. I can say without any hesitation that the Creo 1.1 motor is more efficient after about 200 miles on the Domane. No regrets however as my goal is a road bike with motor supplement. My settings for the Creo on ECO are 15/30 and 30/60 on SPORT. TQ uses a 1-200% assist scale and I have tried to duplicate this with a Domane setting of 30%/72W on ECO and 60%/155W on SPORT. I have tested each of these on timed climbs where I have established times with the Creo and results are similar. At the similar ECO settings, I have an estimated range of 250 miles on the Creo and about 120 on the Domane. The difference is less striking at SPORT with 75 miles on the Creo and a little over 60 on the Domane. I rarely ride on high assist (Turbo) but my Creo swallowed up watts with an estimated range of about 35 miles.
The range of the Domane is adequate for all of my rides, the difference being that I need to charge more frequently, although I can probably limit the charge to 80%. If your goal is extended range at low to medium assist settings, I would hesitate about moving to a TQ equipped bike.

I have moved on from a 2021 Creo to a Domane +. I can say without any hesitation that the Creo 1.1 motor is more efficient after about 200 miles on the Domane. No regrets however as my goal is a road bike with motor supplement. My settings for the Creo on ECO are 15/30 and 30/60 on SPORT. TQ uses a 1-200% assist scale and I have tried to duplicate this with a Domane setting of 30%/72W on ECO and 60%/155W on SPORT. I have tested each of these on timed climbs where I have established times with the Creo and results are similar. At the similar ECO settings, I have an estimated range of 250 miles on the Creo and about 120 on the Domane. The difference is less striking at SPORT with 75 miles on the Creo and a little over 60 on the Domane. I rarely ride on high assist (Turbo) but my Creo swallowed up watts with an estimated range of about 35 miles.
The range of the Domane is adequate for all of my rides, the difference being that I need to charge more frequently, although I can probably limit the charge to 80%. If your goal is extended range at low to medium assist settings, I would hesitate about moving to a TQ equipped bike.
Thanks for the review! After I ride the SWorks CREO 1.2 I’ll provide some commentary on long road rides.

Back