Total e-bike ban after a fatality in Key Biscayne, FLA

A 12 year old dosen't even need to be riding anything with a motor on the roads. They need to build up muscle by peddling. To ride quads off road in the dirt is ok with an adult but not alone, and never on the streets. Yea, more laws are coming.
There is an overwhelming amount of irresponsible parenting in the world. That trend is on the rise. I recently came across a post about a father requesting advise in regard to which ebike to purchase for his son to address his son's desire for exercise. Later in the thread, the father stated that he ended up choosing a class 3 with a throttle that would do 31 MPH for his son. What a dad!

A 12 year old dosen't even need to be riding anything with a motor on the roads. They need to build up muscle by peddling. To ride quads off road in the dirt is ok with an adult but not alone, and never on the streets. Yea, more laws are coming.
They don’t. But in my town all the kids want surrons and many 12-14 year olds have them. It’s really nuts.

Food for thought. Maybe we need to be better citizens.

I don't fully agree with everything he says, but I think the video illustrates the problems we are facing in the fight for wider access, and even just keeping the access we have. A large subset of people purchasing "ebikes" don't actually want an assisted bicycle, they want an unregulated motorcycle that they can get away with riding on paths and trails.

High school parking lots are packed. An electric Hyundai can go 0-60 in 3.4 seconds. We need more young people to use micro-mobility options away from cars. Safer streets is are a real key. That means slower speeds for cars and less parking with more protected bike and scooter lanes.

I don't fully agree with everything he says, but I think the video illustrates the problems we are facing in the fight for wider access, and even just keeping the access we have. A large subset of people purchasing "ebikes" don't actually want an assisted bicycle, they want an unregulated motorcycle that they can get away with riding on paths and trails.
And new laws are coming on that. To see kids blasting along on escooters or one wheels that can do 50 mph is nuts. Because parents allow them to have them, the government will be forced to regulate them. Why is it ok for a 12 year old to be on an electric powered scooter or ebike but he needs a license and insurance for a gas scooter? Makes no sense. The speeds and danger are the same for both.

"Biscayne Bay
Where the Cuban gentlemen sleep all day
I went searching for the song you used to sing to me"

I knew that name was sticking in my mind. Biscayne was also the base Chevy sedan in the late 60's, but you could have had one fitted with the 409, and later the 427, But let's stay mellow with the good doctor.
My dad had a Chevy Biscayne in the 60s. Later on he said it was a piece of crap. But as far as I can remember, most cars of that era were crap.

PedalUma - that's a very pretty staged photo. Very interesting , too, since a pair put to a wagonette isn't supposed to be coachman driven as this photo implies. It's a sporting vehicle that is supposed to be owner driven. The leather top (used for bad weather) behind the driver's seat is a dead giveaway that this vehicle is only driven by the owner, not staff.

The car is very elegant as well. Any idea the make and model and year, especially as the steering wheel is on the right hand side? Had to be prior to 1915 if this is a US photo.
Clearly, the lady is trying to keep the horse from eating her very tasty looking hat.

double agree!

There is an overwhelming amount of irresponsible parenting in the world. That trend is on the rise. I recently came across a post about a father requesting advise in regard to which ebike to purchase for his son to address his son's desire for exercise. Later in the thread, the father stated that he ended up choosing a class 3 with a throttle that would do 31 MPH for his son. What a dad!
you can bet that little "juvey" will do a lot of pedaling,no pedaling has been promoted for a long time starting in a big way with the lectrics.

The issue for me is, emotorcycles and emini-motorcycles are NOT ebikes. The thing ridden by the 12 year old that killed the unfortunate woman is NOT, in my opinion, an ebike. The vehicles lined up outside the school in the picture are NOT ebikes. Those things ought to be able to be easily regulated. They should be illegal for anyone too young for a learners' permit to operate in any public space. They should require some sort of registration and licensing at the appropriate age (15), and at that time should be operated only on streets. All of the vehicles by the school should be impounded.

We really need to work to separate ebikes from any type of emotos, especially in the minds of those doing the regulating and banning.
i agree however what if i had hit that that unhelmeted rider at 15 mph on a steel frame cruiser bike( speed is doable even by me) i believe she would have even then been seriously injured, maybe we need to require helmets on all bikes,even falling off a bike at rest can be a very tragic thing to an unprotected rider.

CodyDog said:
you can bet that little "juvey" will do a lot of pedaling, no pedaling has been promoted for a long time starting in a big way with the lectrics.
Kid possibly 12 going on 13.
?Surely? - "his son's desire for excercise." ... Realistically how much pedaling excercise did dad really expect with a tempting 31mph handy throttle

Evidence of irresponsible parenting ... by knowignly giving into their son's manipulation, even while knowing better. A responsible loving dad could have began by saying ...

"With your desire for pedalling exercise you don't need a motorized ebike; especially one that goes so fast you could seriously hurt yourself. Let's check out a good bike with a watt meter so you can track your pedal power exercise."

How about this, to ride a motorized bicycle period, you must have a driver's license and a helmet. Children turned loose on e-bike is asking for trouble. Seems reasonable to me.

Its those chicken s*it mini bike fake ebikes. I must admit, I love my throttle once in awhile if I need an assist at a stop light or just to get going, but I promise you, I would agree to a throttle ban to get the scooter/mini bike idiots under control. My rant is over...

Its those chicken s*it mini bike fake ebikes. I must admit, I love my throttle once in awhile if I need an assist at a stop light or just to get going, but I promise you, I would agree to a throttle ban to get the scooter/mini bike idiots under control. My rant is over...
Well I'm glad you're not on the committee approving anything...
As we all know that ghost pedaling at 35mph is much safer than a throttle. 🙃

I've wondered a few times since this thread was posted if the womans family is going to file a lawsuit against the ebike manufacturer. Would be an interesting one to follow. Depending on circumstances (exact model, whether the superficial speed restrictions had been bypassed) I could see that being successful. A quick search couldn't find anything.

Well I'm glad you're not on the committee approving anything...
As we all know that ghost pedaling at 35mph is much safer than a throttle. 🙃

I don't think the issue is that ghost pedaling is worse than a throttle, its the most of the yahoos riding "ebikes" that go 35mph are the ones that are basically designed to only ever be ridden throttle only. I actually think a lot fewer would be sold if they had to be ghost pedaled to go that fast; their buyers don't want bicycles, they want motorcycles.

I've wondered a few times since this thread was posted if the womans family is going to file a lawsuit against the ebike manufacturer. Would be an interesting one to follow. Depending on circumstances (exact model, whether the superficial speed restrictions had been bypassed) I could see that being successful. A quick search couldn't find anything.
I think it would be hard won since she wasn't wearing a helmet.
I've been curious as to the actual details of the accident as that's never been made public... and then what happened at the end of the 60 day ban?
I don't think the issue is that ghost pedaling is worse than a throttle, its the most of the yahoos riding "ebikes" that go 35mph are the ones that are basically designed to only ever be ridden throttle only. I actually think a lot fewer would be sold if they had to be ghost pedaled to go that fast; their buyers don't want bicycles, they want motorcycles.
I concur... But I wouldn't want a bike without a throttle and I don't want to be punished for the acts of a yahoo, decisions of yahoo parents or any other affiliated yahoos.

I think it would be hard won since she wasn't wearing a helmet.
I've been curious as to the actual details of the accident as that's never been made public... and then what happened at the end of the 60 day ban?

Would really depend on the circumstances (which I also couldn't find much info about).

From what I can find, the 60 day ban was unanimously extended another 60 days (till mid June):

Since helmet wearing is generally not a legal requirement for an adult riding a bike, probably wouldn't be a defense. I continue to find the focus on the victims lack of helmet quite gross. Its the same crap the media pulls when an idiot motorist on a cell phone/speeding/whatever kills a cyclist. Merits of helmet-wearing aside, people should be able to ride around and not get run over by idiots, and when it happens I'm perfectly comfortable placing 100% of the blame on the idiot instead of the person who was hit.

I concur... But I wouldn't want a bike without a throttle and I don't want to be punished for the acts of a yahoo, decisions of yahoo parents or any other affiliated yahoos.

Laws often are written to the lowest common denominator. Which is why its important to call out yahoos and idiots and not cover for them.

Would really depend on the circumstances (which I also couldn't find much info about).

From what I can find, the 60 day ban was unanimously extended another 60 days (till mid June):

Since helmet wearing is generally not a legal requirement for an adult riding a bike, probably wouldn't be a defense. I continue to find the focus on the victims lack of helmet quite gross. Its the same crap the media pulls when an idiot motorist on a cell phone/speeding/whatever kills a cyclist. Merits of helmet-wearing aside, people should be able to ride around and not get run over by idiots, and when it happens I'm perfectly comfortable placing 100% of the blame on the idiot instead of the person who was hit.

Laws often are written to the lowest common denominator. Which is why its important to call out yahoos and idiots and not cover for them.
I'm not focused on her not wearing a helmet.. but it is a fact.
Additionally that there is absolutely no description of the sequence of events which lead up to the accident I find disturbing and is no small detail. Everyone is making assumptions and I find that gross.
Sorry.. but I don't consider new laws, law suits or other actions until I know the fact.
As for the yahoos, I'll be the first to call them out. But as stated before I'm not willing to give up my rights to idiot proof the world.

Last edited:
Back