Total e-bike ban after a fatality in Key Biscayne, FLA

A 12 year old dosen't even need to be riding anything with a motor on the roads. They need to build up muscle by peddling. To ride quads off road in the dirt is ok with an adult but not alone, and never on the streets. Yea, more laws are coming.
There is an overwhelming amount of irresponsible parenting in the world. That trend is on the rise. I recently came across a post about a father requesting advise in regard to which ebike to purchase for his son to address his son's desire for exercise. Later in the thread, the father stated that he ended up choosing a class 3 with a throttle that would do 31 MPH for his son. What a dad!

A 12 year old dosen't even need to be riding anything with a motor on the roads. They need to build up muscle by peddling. To ride quads off road in the dirt is ok with an adult but not alone, and never on the streets. Yea, more laws are coming.
They don’t. But in my town all the kids want surrons and many 12-14 year olds have them. It’s really nuts.

Food for thought. Maybe we need to be better citizens.

I don't fully agree with everything he says, but I think the video illustrates the problems we are facing in the fight for wider access, and even just keeping the access we have. A large subset of people purchasing "ebikes" don't actually want an assisted bicycle, they want an unregulated motorcycle that they can get away with riding on paths and trails.

High school parking lots are packed. An electric Hyundai can go 0-60 in 3.4 seconds. We need more young people to use micro-mobility options away from cars. Safer streets is are a real key. That means slower speeds for cars and less parking with more protected bike and scooter lanes.

I don't fully agree with everything he says, but I think the video illustrates the problems we are facing in the fight for wider access, and even just keeping the access we have. A large subset of people purchasing "ebikes" don't actually want an assisted bicycle, they want an unregulated motorcycle that they can get away with riding on paths and trails.
And new laws are coming on that. To see kids blasting along on escooters or one wheels that can do 50 mph is nuts. Because parents allow them to have them, the government will be forced to regulate them. Why is it ok for a 12 year old to be on an electric powered scooter or ebike but he needs a license and insurance for a gas scooter? Makes no sense. The speeds and danger are the same for both.

Back