Total e-bike ban after a fatality in Key Biscayne, FLA

I shared many times how the bans in my county were enacted. Regulating ebikes is a very difficult thing to do and it's getting harder with all the motorbikes being imported by sellers that call the machines ebikes. Banning is seen by many communities as the only option they have, given the wide variety of machines on sale now. We were successful in overturning the bans, but since the pandemic the trails and paths have been flooded with bikes that are illegal. I think more bans are coming.

Thank you for mentioning the victim in this. She was an avid cyclist; on this ride she was cruising in her neighborhood, the 12 year old hit her, according to reports I read.

Some published photos from the story:

View attachment 171595
Victim: Megan, 66

View attachment 171596
e-bikes at Mast Academy, local school.

Over the past 4 days I've seen many news reports on YouTube and most of the bikes shown in town were never pedaled. As has been noted the ban is temporary, and many reports state a permanent ban is unlikely. Stricter regulations are likely. Maybe the EU got it mostly right. Never thought I'd say that.
Judging by the E-Bikes in the pic, those kids come from well to do parents who most likely give them everything they want.

I shared many times how the bans in my county were enacted. Regulating ebikes is a very difficult thing to do and it's getting harder with all the motorbikes being imported by sellers that call the machines ebikes. Banning is seen by many communities as the only option they have, given the wide variety of machines on sale now. We were successful in overturning the bans, but since the pandemic the trails and paths have been flooded with bikes that are illegal. I think more bans are coming.

For sure. Ebikes are extreme newcomers to the access and advocacy scene, but some of us act like we have an inalienable right to be anywhere we want, riding whatever we want, and any restrictions on those are sinister gubmint overreach. Its very, very different than the attitude I'm used to in traditional cycling advocacy, where people know that every piece of infrastructure built or mile of trail opened represents years (sometimes decades) of effort, and that work could be undone if circumstances shift.

The main thing I'd really like to see is a little more self awareness about these issues from the broader ebike community. Like, even in this thread there were people rushing to blame the victim instead of acknowledge any wrongdoing on the ebike riders part or consider that maybe a regulatory regime that doesn't care if 12 year olds are riding bikes that go that fast may cause problems.

Like, access to the local MUP seems pretty solid at the moment, but there are definitely people who don't want ebikes there, and its not hard to envision a scenario where someone riding a fast bike hits and injures/kills someone completely changing that. And thats not outside the realm of possibility.

For sure. Ebikes are extreme newcomers to the access and advocacy scene, but some of us act like we have an inalienable right to be anywhere we want, riding whatever we want, and any restrictions on those are sinister gubmint overreach. Its very, very different than the attitude I'm used to in traditional cycling advocacy, where people know that every piece of infrastructure built or mile of trail opened represents years (sometimes decades) of effort, and that work could be undone if circumstances shift.

The main thing I'd really like to see is a little more self awareness about these issues from the broader ebike community. Like, even in this thread there were people rushing to blame the victim instead of acknowledge any wrongdoing on the ebike riders part or consider that maybe a regulatory regime that doesn't care if 12 year olds are riding bikes that go that fast may cause problems.

Like, access to the local MUP seems pretty solid at the moment, but there are definitely people who don't want ebikes there, and its not hard to envision a scenario where someone riding a fast bike hits and injures/kills someone completely changing that. And thats not outside the realm of possibility.
Couldn't agree more. We live in a time when many people think that rules don't apply to them, and that respect for others is for chumps. This attitude won't serve ebiking well in the long run. I see it in plenty of roadies, too, but their future isn't as endangered as ours.

Our best bet is to be ambassadors of good will wherever we ride.

I don't think anyone is blaming the victim... But she wasn't wearing a helmet and I'd guess that may have been the difference. It is relevant to this particular story.
Another thing that's concerning about this story is that so far there is absolutely zero details on how it occurred and the injuries sustained.. which raises the concern of an opportunistic overreach veiled by the tragedy.
That said... if I was sherif...
I'd start impounding bikes and issuing fines at the first sign of delinquency to both spoiled snotnose child and more money than brains parents.

Last edited:
When the "horseless carriage" first came on the scene in the late 19th century, they were banned in many locations. The vehicle eventually proved too practical, and became almost universally accepted. The big question is, will e-bikes follow suit or go the route of the Dodo?

Ironically, there are still locations in the US where ICE vehicles are banned and EV's, like golf carts, scooters and e-bikes are welcome.

Just nuts.

Like, even in this thread there were people rushing to blame the victim instead of acknowledge any wrongdoing on the ebike riders part or consider that maybe a regulatory regime that doesn't care if 12 year olds are riding bikes that go that fast may cause problems.
Think we all agree that it's the parents that are at fault. Was the young preteen son even wearing a helmet? What if the kid had been injured or killed instead of the woman (being 66 isn't "old" anymore).

The parents would still find reason to fault the woman even if their preteen son wasn't wearing a helmet. The parents weren't using good judgement buying a Super73 (28mph) for their young son.

"Biscayne Bay
Where the Cuban gentlemen sleep all day
I went searching for the song you used to sing to me"

I knew that name was sticking in my mind. Biscayne was also the base Chevy sedan in the late 60's, but you could have had one fitted with the 409, and later the 427, But let's stay mellow with the good doctor.
My parents had a Biscayne, which I remember, though I don't recall whether I ever drove it. My dad said later that it was a piece of crap. But most US built cars in the 60s were crap.

I was struck by this picture posted by J.R. earlier this week outside a Miami-Dade academy. WTF?? In the case of this Key Biscayne tragedy, the Affluenza virus has proved deadly.

The bikes below were likely purchased by parents with more money than brains, as someone else noted.

I'm not running for parent or grandparent of the year, but when I bought an e-bike for a teenage grand kid, I shopped for a model that would be as safe as any analog bike, and also provide healthy exercise (inasmuch as she is already athletic). In other words, my criteria was Class 1 only. I thought that was just common sense, and she's four years older than the boy riding the Super 73. While I'm not in favor of unnecessary regulations, sometimes we need legislation to counter stupidity.

e-bikes.png

I was struck by this picture posted by J.R. earlier this week outside a Miami-Dade academy. WTF?? In the case of this Key Biscayne tragedy, the Affluenza virus has proved deadly.

The bikes below were likely purchased by parents with more money than brains, as someone else noted.

I'm not running for parent or grandparent of the year, but when I bought an e-bike for a teenage grand kid, I shopped for a model that would be as safe as any analog bike, and also provide healthy exercise (inasmuch as she is already athletic). In other words, my criteria was Class 1 only. I thought that was just common sense, and she's four years older than the boy riding the Super 73. While I'm not in favor of unnecessary regulations, sometimes we need legislation to counter stupidity.

View attachment 171649

Funny... They look like the Rupp minibike I had as a kid.
s-l1600.jpg

As I stated earlier.. the last thing we did was piss people off and attract the attention of the authorities.

Thank you for mentioning the victim in this. She was an avid cyclist; on this ride she was cruising in her neighborhood, the 12 year old hit her, according to reports I read.

Some published photos from the story:

View attachment 171595
Victim: Megan, 66

View attachment 171596
e-bikes at Mast Academy, local school.

Over the past 4 days I've seen many news reports on YouTube and most of the bikes shown in town were never pedaled. As has been noted the ban is temporary, and many reports state a permanent ban is unlikely. Stricter regulations are likely. Maybe the EU got it mostly right. Never thought I'd say that.
First thing, let's start calling calling/labeling/classifying those things as "motorcycles", "mini-bikes", "mopeds", or something that distinguishes them from actual "electric bicycles". If they had gasoline motors, they'd be called min-bikes or motorcyles like I used to ride as a kid. Those motorcycles above are configured to be ridden with a throttle under most circumstances. I've never seen anyone actaully pedaling on of those motorcycles. The pedals are nominal only, and not really functional based on the seating and leg configuration. They certaily are not built, nor conducive to, exercising with human power in mind. They have no place on a sidewalk, or pedestrian/bike trail. If I had ridden my gas powered Sears MiniBike on the road, sidewalk, or paved pedestrian trail in the 70's I would have been detained, and my minibike impounded.

If we don't get them off the sidewalks and paved trails, were all going to be painted with the same broad brush and lose our access.

This is exactly what my brother and I had in the 70's, The Puncher. Same as those things above, just louder. The front shocks were shite.

Sears.jpg

Attachments

• Sears.jpg
    Sears.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
At this point in time, I think the people arguing for a total e-bike ban have the better argument.

Civil action against irresponsible people (who might be unable to pay damages anyhow) is a poor substitute for preventing a wrongful death.

First thing, let's start calling calling/labeling/classifying those things as "motorcycles", "mini-bikes", "mopeds", or something that distinguishes them from actual "electric bicycles". If they had gasoline motors, they's be called min-bikes or motorcyles like I used to ride as a kid. Those motorcycles above are configured to be ridden with a throttle under most circumstances. I've never seen anyone actaully pedaling on of those motorcycles. The pedals are nominal only, and not really functional based on the seating and leg configuration. They certaily are not built, nor conducive to exercising with human power in mind. They have no place on a sidewalk, or pedestrian/bike trail. If I had ridden my gas powered Sears MiniBike on the road, sidewalk, or paved pedestrian trail in the 70's I would have bee arrested, and my minibike impounded.

If we don't get them off the sidewalks and paved trails, were all going to be painted with the same broad brush and lose our access.

This is exactly what my brother and I had in the 70's, The Puncher. Same as those things above, just louder. The front shocks were s*it.

View attachment 171652

" IMPORTANT "
Sears.jpg

It's the small details Norton...

Couldn't agree more. We live in a time when many people think that rules don't apply to them, and that respect for others is for chumps. This attitude won't serve ebiking well in the long run. I see it in plenty of roadies, too, but their future isn't as endangered as ours.

Our best bet is to be ambassadors of good will wherever we ride.
"We live in a time when many people think that rules don't apply to them"
This is so true as of the last few years. We have polititions in our country who are very good at promoting that attitude. There are a lot who like to follow trends of famous and important people and this is one of them that sucks.

This is so true as of the last few years. We have polititions in our country who are very good at promoting that attitude.
Exactly. Role models matter, and the ones we have now in highly visible high places scare the pants off me. Never thought I'd see rule of law teetering on the brink in America.

We live in a time when many people think that rules don't apply to them, and that respect for others is for chumps.
Struck up a conversation with a very thoughtful San Diego County sheriff ~4 months ago. When I shared this personal observation with him, he rolled his eyes and said, "You have no idea. I've never seen anything like it in 25 years on the job."

My parents had a Biscayne, which I remember, though I don't recall whether I ever drove it. My dad said later that it was a piece of crap. But most US built cars in the 60s were crap.
grandmas biscayne was a nice car to a 5 yr old, little 283 would scoot.

Exactly. Role models matter, and the ones we have now in highly visible high places scare the pants off me. Never thought I'd see rule of law teetering on the brink in America.

Struck up a conversation with a very thoughtful San Diego County sheriff ~4 months ago. When I shared this personal observation with him, he rolled his eyes and said, "You have no idea. I've never seen anything like it in 25 years on the job."
was watching a you tuber give an evaluation of a fast mid grade bike,he never stopped at any stop signs or peddled much either(sign of the times)

At this point in time, I think the people arguing for a total e-bike ban have the better argument.

Civil action against irresponsible people (who might be unable to pay damages anyhow) is a poor substitute for preventing a wrongful death.
the only reason i agree is because i have an understanding of human nature and puerile attitudes.

How's that?
People die everyday from avoidable accidents.
Yet we still have guns, opioids and even cars and go swimming... etc...

Back