Torque Sensor Delay

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I have three Pedego Platinum Interceptors and all have a .5 to 1 second delay before the torque sensor applies power to the motor. I have replaced two controllers so far but the delay on all of them is the same. It really is a minor inconvenience but makes it more difficult to get started if you forget to downshift into a lower gear before stopping. I usually compensate by using the throttle to get started. Pedego says the delay is a safety feature designed to prevent "runaway" or unexpected acceleration when mounting the bike.

I had a chance to ride a Pedego City Commuter recently and that bike had no noticeable torque sensor delay. I'm curious if other Pedego owners have noticed this annoying behavior.

I don't believe the City commuter has torque sense. My wife has a Pedego Commuter and it only comes with a cadence sensor and throttle.
I have a Pedego RidgeRider, which comes with both Torque and cadence senors, and I can't say that I'm overly happy with the torques sensor either. Half the time I can't be sure it's working properly.
My torque sensor also failed at around the 600 mile mark.

I don't believe the City commuter has torque sense. My wife has a Pedego Commuter and it only comes with a cadence sensor and throttle.
I have a Pedego RidgeRider, which comes with both Torque and cadence senors, and I can't say that I'm overly happy with the torques sensor either. Half the time I can't be sure it's working properly.
My torque sensor also failed at around the 600 mile mark.

The City Commuter Black Edition I test rode had "Pedalsense" which is Pedego's torque & cadence sensor combo.

As you pointed out, earlier City Commuter bikes, including the new Lite version, do not have torque sensors.

I have 2000 miles on my Platinum Interceptor so far and aside from the delay issue, the torque sensor works properly. I have to agree with you though, I'm not impressed with it's overall performance. Most of the sensors on the other bikes I test rode performed better.

Hi Everyone,

If you feel that your torque sensor may not be working correctly it may just need a little adjustment. The angle that the bottom bracket toque sensor sits in the BB may be off a bit, which can mess the signal up. Take it into your local dealer or call the support line @ 1-800-646-8604 and they can help you out!

@6zfshdb
The City Commuter: https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/city-commuter/ - Is Cadence Sensor Only
The City Commuter Black: https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/city-commuter-black-edition/ - Is Cadence Sensor + Torque Sensor
The Interceptor Platinum: https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/interceptor-platinum-edition/ - Is Cadence Sensor + Torque Sensor

The City Commuter Black Edition you may have ridden either had different (possibly newer) software on it, which we can get you updated to, or it had the Cadence mode enabled, which you can also do on your Platinum Interceptor. In the settings menu SET7 turned to OFF will enable cadence function.

Last edited:
I have 2000 miles on my Platinum Interceptor so far and aside from the delay issue, the torque sensor works properly.

I think you just need to reset it to work as a torque sensor not as a cadence sensor because some Pedego bikes have both torque and cadence sensing.
Not all torque sensors are equal but it works well.

Back