Today was supposed to be new Creo announcement day!

Well don't go waiting by the dumpster for my 'old' 1.1 motor equipped Vado SL. I won't be throwing it away any time soon ;)
I think I may have been somehow on some other country website, because now the numbers are the same as they were before. confusing...sorry folks.

My Expert (non-EVO) was $9000 in July of '22.
So far both versions of the new model come with dropper post and gravel tires. This used to be the EVO designation. Has the road version been dropped?
I like the narrower Q factor, and I'd like to see how much difference hydraulic damping makes in the future shock.
As for the motor, I don't need more power and torque than I already have. They say it's quiet but how does it compare to the original SL?
I'm sort of thinking the perfect bike would have future shock together with the TQ harmonic pin ring motor.

My Expert (non-EVO) was $9000 in July of '22.
So far both versions of the new model come with dropper post and gravel tires. This used to be the EVO designation. Has the road version been dropped?
I like the narrower Q factor, and I'd like to see how much difference hydraulic damping makes in the future shock.
As for the motor, I don't need more power and torque than I already have. They say it's quiet but how does it compare to the original SL?
I'm sort of thinking the perfect bike would have future shock together with the TQ harmonic pin ring motor.

The 'grass is always greener' and I s'pose it is human nature to want 'more', 'bigger', or 'better'. But I do agree with you....I don't believe that I need more power than what is already offered by my 1.1 motor in my Vado SL. At least I don't feel the need for an upgrade at great expense. I am mildly annoyed by the 1.1's motor noise but not enough to cause me any real troubles. From what I have read the 1.2 is still a bit of a noise-maker but Spesh has 'tuned' the noise to a lower frequency which provides a perception of less noise (and they are advertising it as quiet now). From what I understand from the reviews it is still slightly noisier when compared to its chief competition but not over-bearing.

Sure I want more power without having make any compromise(s).....and I most def understand desiring more power/torque if I lived in the mountains....or if I were a MTB'er...... or if I were more aged and/or less fit etc. The more time I have spent with the Vado SL and its 1.1 the more I like it and believe that it is 'enough' for my uses. As often as I am riding with the motor completely off.....tapping to 30% always feels like a nice bonus......60% feels downright substantial & nearly gluttonous.....and the rarely used 100% typically gets anything accomplished that I could throw at the bike. Given my use(s) range has never been an issue for me at all.

Seeing the prices (of everything) I am particularly happy that I bought during the big June price drop(s). I'll be eager to try this new 1.2....but I remain pleased with my 1.1 and plan to keep my wallet in my pocket for awhile. By the time I am ready for a new e-bike I can only imagine the advances that will have been made. I am NOT the ideal 'Spesh customer' lol.

Last edited:
Actually really impressed. My original carbon comp was £5250 when I got it on launch day 3 years back. The new Carbon comp in £5000. Will have to have a good look as I expected this to be much more. Road boost has gone, so normal wheels will now fit (12x 100 front and 12x 142 rear). Fact 11r carbon across all carbon frames again

Meh!
I also do not need a more powerful motor. Only advantage from my perspective seems to be the conventional hub spacing and claimed quieter motor. Still with 1X drivetrain, similar weight and I suspect the Q factor is similar. It's not clear to me why they chose to eliminate the road version. Doesn't seem like one will be offered as they dropped the EVO designation. I suppose you can drop 1-2 lbs by eliminating the dropped post and changing to more conventionally sized tires, but why couldn't Specialized do that and save me $250. Domane + is looking much better now.

Meh!
I also do not need a more powerful motor. Only advantage from my perspective seems to be the conventional hub spacing and claimed quieter motor. Still with 1X drivetrain, similar weight and I suspect the Q factor is similar. It's not clear to me why they chose to eliminate the road version. Doesn't seem like one will be offered as they dropped the EVO designation. I suppose you can drop 1-2 lbs by eliminating the dropped post and changing to more conventionally sized tires, but why couldn't Specialized do that and save me $250. Domane + is looking much better now.
Q factor 12mm narrower. 40% quieter and nothing to stop you putting road tyres on it! Despite everyone going wider anyway. TDF 30mm for example on 19mm internal rims so more like 32mm. The wide clearance is fantastic means it can go anywhere. And more torque, yes please. Plenty of 20% + hills around here plus rocky steep bridleways I can explore, spending a day 60% on roads 40% on trails. This looks like it can go anywhere. Horses for courses I suppose. What's it weigh anyway? Frame is lighter, motor the same I think.

From what I have read the 1.2 is still a bit of a noise-maker but Spesh has 'tuned' the noise to a lower frequency which provides a perception of less noise (and they are advertising it as quiet now). From what I understand from the reviews it is still slightly noisier when compared to its chief competition but not over-bearing.
Sound quality also plays a large role in annoyance. I test rode a Velotric and heard a super high frequency (~15-16 kHz) sine tone. It was objectively very quiet but also annoying to me. I did my lap and brought it right back.

My new Performance Line Bosch makes some noise at the upper end of my hearing ability (17-18 kHz), but it’s at least fuzzier, not as concentrated in one frequency band. I still do vastly prefer the bike to be off. Ability to ride unpowered is such an attractive feature of these light bikes. So glad to see that bike companies seem to prioritize acoustics.

Not to start another argument over comparisons, but what might be similar enough to warrant a test ride? We talked about Skitch the other day.

Sound quality also plays a large role in annoyance. I test rode a Velotric and heard a super high frequency (~15-16 kHz) sine tone. It was objectively very quiet but also annoying to me. I did my lap and brought it right back.

My new Performance Line Bosch makes some noise at the upper end of my hearing ability (17-18 kHz), but it’s at least fuzzier, not as concentrated in one frequency band. I still do vastly prefer the bike to be off. Ability to ride unpowered is such an attractive feature of these light bikes. So glad to see that bike companies seem to prioritize acoustics.

Not to start another argument over comparisons, but what might be similar enough to warrant a test ride? We talked about Skitch the other day.

The field is somewhat limited in the ultra-light ebike category should you be seeking a bicycle from a 'big brand' with reliable service/dealer network. Of course there are all types of hub drive mail-order options should you be willing to go that direction.

The Skitch is the most interesting bike that I have yet seen outside of the Specialized SL camp. Just for kicks I loaded one in my cart and it suggested a January 2024 delivery date projection.

I can hear myself routinely sounding 'old' so there is no need to remind me lol....but these bikes are EXPENSIVE! I was not cycling much for many years and only recently bought a new bike. I had to force myself to buy the Vado SL 4.0 for $2499 on sale. Now the Skitch is comparable and $6K+.....Creo is similarly priced. I've been riding quite regularly and enjoying myself very very much, however, I just cannot justify spending that much money on a bike for fun, fitness, and recreation.

I'll just have to drool at the Skitch and the new Spesh 1.2 motor and similar new expensive offerings. If I might sound 'old' once again....I am also averse to purchasing a used e-bike from an un-vetted source without warranty. The batteries alone are outrageous. I am now almost feeling as if my Vado 4.0 SL was the world's biggest bargain lol. These bicycle prices are essentially used automobile prices!

Back