Today was supposed to be new Creo announcement day!

The lightweight motor category has got very interesting so maybe check out bikes with the Bosch SX, Fazua 60, TQ motor as well as this SL 1.2 from Specialized. They’re all interesting and all seem very quiet.

OK, pretty compelling given even the base one is carbon and comes with etap shifting, along with the obvious motor stuff. Nice range of gears too, it’s funny how it has really transitioned to a gravel bike. My 2022 Creo SL E5 started life with the road configuration and quickly found itself with 42mm tires and dirt caked on the bottom of the down tube, hasn’t looked back. Just came in from a very satisfying 32 miles on a sunny day… I’m keeping it. A really nice all rounder, still the best bike I’ve ever owned.

I also note that the Santa Cruz Skitch drop bar version seems to be a very valid competitor here as well. The new Fazua motor has bigger torque numbers and I think power as well, and a significantly larger battery. Dustin Klein has a very enlightening video up about it.

The field is somewhat limited in the ultra-light ebike category should you be seeking a bicycle from a 'big brand' with reliable service/dealer network. Of course there are all types of hub drive mail-order options should you be willing to go that direction.

The Skitch is the most interesting bike that I have yet seen outside of the Specialized SL camp. Just for kicks I loaded one in my cart and it suggested a January 2024 delivery date projection.

I can hear myself routinely sounding 'old' so there is no need to remind me lol....but these bikes are EXPENSIVE! I was not cycling much for many years and only recently bought a new bike. I had to force myself to buy the Vado SL 4.0 for $2499 on sale. Now the Skitch is comparable and $6K+.....Creo is similarly priced. I've been riding quite regularly and enjoying myself very very much, however, I just cannot justify spending that much money on a bike for fun, fitness, and recreation.

I'll just have to drool at the Skitch and the new Spesh 1.2 motor and similar new expensive offerings. If I might sound 'old' once again....I am also averse to purchasing a used e-bike from an un-vetted source without warranty. The batteries alone are outrageous. I am now almost feeling as if my Vado 4.0 SL was the world's biggest bargain lol. These bicycle prices are essentially used automobile prices!
The Skitch is available at the online resellers suggested by Santa Cruz in a variety of sizes, I am cross-shopping that one too.

I'm really on the fence now with this release. I had hoped to use my nice carbon CLX wheels in road boost, now that is off the table, so it changes my perspective a bit. At least if I go this way I can reuse my range extenders, although they really aren't needed on a ride like the Skitch.

OK, pretty compelling given even the base one is carbon and comes with etap shifting, along with the obvious motor stuff. Nice range of gears too, it’s funny how it has really transitioned to a gravel bike. My 2022 Creo SL E5 started life with the road configuration and quickly found itself with 42mm tires and dirt caked on the bottom of the down tube, hasn’t looked back. Just came in from a very satisfying 32 miles on a sunny day… I’m keeping it. A really nice all rounder, still the best bike I’ve ever owned.

I also note that the Santa Cruz Skitch drop bar version seems to be a very valid competitor here as well. The new Fazua motor has bigger torque numbers and I think power as well, and a significantly larger battery. Dustin Klein has a very enlightening video up about it.

Well thanks for the introduction to Dustin Klein....I liked the video. But damnit....it made me really want that Skitch even more than I already did!!!!

Dustin ends the video by referring to it as "the best" and "better than his Creo".....but refers to it as the "Switch" instead of Skitch lol.

The thought of my Vado SL with a carbon frame, 4lbs lighter GX electronic tranny....dropper....and a silent motor with more power/torque????? O. M. G.

Is it getting hot in here? I need to go for a ride and cool off a bit.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I was out on my Vado SL today and idly wondering what the MK 2 version will be like whenever it’s launched; wider clearance? that new 1.2 motor for sure, geometry tweaks? And I arrive home and low and behold the new Creo has dropped!

Now more curious then ever. What I didn’t expect from Creo 2 was the higher stack geo (which I like) and the 55mm tyre clearance. These would really tempt me…

Apparently the geometry has changed up a bit as well, along with more adventure oriented gearing, 11-50 and such on the cassette. They are really stepping back from the road centric thing and going all gravel. Certainly appeals to me, as I go from tarmac to dirt/gravel all the time.

Q factor 12mm narrower. 40% quieter and nothing to stop you putting road tyres on it! Despite everyone going wider anyway. TDF 30mm for example on 19mm internal rims so more like 32mm. The wide clearance is fantastic means it can go anywhere. And more torque, yes please. Plenty of 20% + hills around here plus rocky steep bridleways I can explore, spending a day 60% on roads 40% on trails. This looks like it can go anywhere. Horses for courses I suppose. What's it weigh anyway? Frame is lighter, motor the same I think.
Interestingly, Specialized rarely lists the weight of their bikes but they did so with Creo 2. The S-Works 2 is listed at 28lb 9 oz on Specialized web site. The Pro's Closet has a S-Works Creo EVO on their site which they weighed at 28lb 1oz, so no weight savings. Yes, there is nothing to stop me from putting 32mm slicks on the bike, but why not sell it that way and without the dropper post and save us road riders $250 and maybe another pound or two. Narrower Q is a plus, but not narrower enough to fit a 2X with smoother shifting.

Funnily enough I was out on my Vado SL today and idly wondering what the MK 2 version will be like whenever it’s launched; wider clearance? that new 1.2 motor for sure, geometry tweaks? And I arrive home and low and behold the new Creo has dropped!

Now more curious then ever. What I didn’t expect from Creo 2 was the higher stack geo (which I like) and the 55mm tyre clearance. These would really tempt me…
The geometry numbers I’m seeing on the specialized site show the creo 2 has a lower stack, shorter head tube and longer reach than the original when comparing the same sizes. 56 with L, 58 with XL and 61 with XXL (Creo 2 using numbers and Creo 1 using letter sizing). I’m surprised by that change that makes the 2 longer and lower than the 1. I would expect a gravel specific bike to go the opposite direction.

The geometry numbers I’m seeing on the specialized site show the creo 2 has a lower stack, shorter head tube and longer reach than the original when comparing the same sizes. 56 with L, 58 with XL and 61 with XXL (Creo 2 using numbers and Creo 1 using letter sizing). I’m surprised by that change that makes the 2 longer and lower than the 1. I would expect a gravel specific bike to go the opposite direction.
I was going off the bike radar review:

Where they say:
“It still has a Fact 11r carbon frame, but the geometry has been overhauled with a slack head tube, taller stack and shortened reach, which combined are intended to make the Creo 2 easier to handle on gravel.”

Disappointing if it’s got a lower stack & longer reach. Lot of press releases written in haste perhaps.

I was going off the bike radar review:

Where they say:
“It still has a Fact 11r carbon frame, but the geometry has been overhauled with a slack head tube, taller stack and shortened reach, which combined are intended to make the Creo 2 easier to handle on gravel.”

Disappointing if it’s got a lower stack & longer reach. Lot of press releases written in haste perhaps.
Yeah, either the specialized website is full of errors or the reviewer had his geometry tables mixed up. The tables on the site were consistently lower and longer throughout the sizes so I’d bet on reviewer error. I wonder how many other reviewers will parrot that first one and pass on misinformation.

Interestingly, Specialized rarely lists the weight of their bikes but they did so with Creo 2. The S-Works 2 is listed at 28lb 9 oz on Specialized web site. The Pro's Closet has a S-Works Creo EVO on their site which they weighed at 28lb 1oz, so no weight savings. Yes, there is nothing to stop me from putting 32mm slicks on the bike, but why not sell it that way and without the dropper post and save us road riders $250 and maybe another pound or two. Narrower Q is a plus, but not narrower enough to fit a 2X with smoother shifting.
I do hear you. Having read a few reviews now I’m wondering if down the line, Specialized are planning another Creo model that is more like an endurance bike? Or maybe they have other plans for a lighter, road specific new ebike altogether. An E Roubaix or even E Tarmac. The problem is & would be, the SL motor, its size restricts a 2x set up or a lower weight. An advantage the TQ motor has over the SL1.2. But the ‘one size fits all’ gravel and road, Creo 2 seems to be a decision they must have done on consumer research of Creo 1 owners. Curious.

Yeah, either the specialized website is full of errors or the reviewer had his geometry tables mixed up. The tables on the site were consistently lower and longer throughout the sizes so I’d bet on reviewer error. I wonder how many other reviewers will parrot that first one and pass on misinformation.
Annoying if that’s the case. All the reviewers do say how comfortable it is.

Personally, I disappointed that the Creo 2 has shifted towards the gravel bike genre, only because I already have an excellent gravel bike (Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3) and was thinking of purchasing a dedicated e-road bike next year.

The field is somewhat limited in the ultra-light ebike category should you be seeking a bicycle from a 'big brand' with reliable service/dealer network. Of course there are all types of hub drive mail-order options should you be willing to go that direction.

The Skitch is the most interesting bike that I have yet seen outside of the Specialized SL camp. Just for kicks I loaded one in my cart and it suggested a January 2024 delivery date projection.

I can hear myself routinely sounding 'old' so there is no need to remind me lol....but these bikes are EXPENSIVE! I was not cycling much for many years and only recently bought a new bike. I had to force myself to buy the Vado SL 4.0 for $2499 on sale. Now the Skitch is comparable and $6K+.....Creo is similarly priced. I've been riding quite regularly and enjoying myself very very much, however, I just cannot justify spending that much money on a bike for fun, fitness, and recreation.

I'll just have to drool at the Skitch and the new Spesh 1.2 motor and similar new expensive offerings. If I might sound 'old' once again....I am also averse to purchasing a used e-bike from an un-vetted source without warranty. The batteries alone are outrageous. I am now almost feeling as if my Vado 4.0 SL was the world's biggest bargain lol.
I don't exactly understand why bicycles are so expensive, but because they can replace 95% of my driving while having more fun that I ever had in a car, I have chosen to accept it. :p

Back