Throwing your leg over an E-Bike

What a great exchange of helpful information this is. I went through the same gyrations and found one more interesting technique: mounting from the sidewalk while the bike wheels were still on the street. It adds five or six inches more to your height. Unfortunately, I had no such sidewalk near me and ended up buying a step-through trike,

I fiddled with the rack and got it down about an inch. Can do more mods when I get home for the summer and lower it more. Practicing I found my leg not really clearing the seat when stepped over. Lowered the seat 1/2” and with those changes it is much better. I put my tools in a frame mounted bag so I’m not depending on having a bag with me all of the time. New to Ebikes so it’s a learning process. :)

I'm 72 with two hip replacements and arthritis in both knees. I got rid of the bag and switched to a set of panniers to reduce the rear height. This was a major consideration for me when ebike shopping. Although I can still swing my leg over the MTB without the bag, I don't know how much longer that will be the case. Ultimately, I chose an ebike with a step thru frame with the idea it will prolong my riding years. I was concerned at first about the "look" but now I wouldn't have it any other way. Over half the seniors I see on the trail are riding step thru's now. They no longer call them "girls bikes".

Last edited:
Safety comes first.

If the bag's the problem, get rid of it! (There are other options.)
I'm 60yo, 6'2" and I have 2 road bikes and 2 ebikes with the ibera rack and ibera bag on all of them, and is the best rack and bag system out there IMO. Very secure, configurable and top notch. And I've tried a lot. In all of those bikes the saddle is about level or higher than the bag when mounted on the rack. Also the rack has adjustability to move it lower closer to the tire/fender. So depending of your height, if you have trouble swinging your leg over the saddle you will have trouble mounting as you will also have to clear the length of the bag behind the saddle. So you are right, removing the bag will be a solution. But I also found that tilting the bike while mounting makes it much easier as my body gets older and stiffer. And so far so good.

I'm 60yo, 6'2" and I have 2 road bikes and 2 ebikes with the ibera rack and ibera bag on all of them, and is the best rack and bag system out there IMO. Very secure, configurable and top notch. And I've tried a lot. In all of those bikes the saddle is about level or higher than the bag when mounted on the rack. Also the rack has adjustability to move it lower closer to the tire/fender. So depending of your height, if you have trouble swinging your leg over the saddle you will have trouble mounting as you will also have to clear the length of the bag behind the saddle. So you are right, removing the bag will be a solution. But I also found that tilting the bike while mounting makes it much easier as my body gets older and stiffer. And so far so good.

I'm looking for a new rack because the one that came with my ebike was bent in shipping. I was seriously looking at the ibera racks and bags last night, so I'm glad to read that someone is having a good experience with them. Now I just have to figure out which, if any, after market rack will fit on my ebike since its current rack is custom and so are the lugs in the frame. I'll post a separate thread about that.

Reason I returned my first bike a top tube was just couldn't get off safely. My step thru has solved all the problems. You can hurt yourself while simply standing still if you get your leg caught or lose balance because of a weird set up, just a simple fall can break something and put you down for a long time....new bike that works is much cheaper than emergency room!

I'm not as agile as I used to be (age 66.) I grab a big handful of front brake, put the pedals parallel to the ground, put my left foot on the left pedal, put all my weight on the pedal while hitting the thumb throttle to get the bike going (gyroscopic stability helps a lot with this technique) and swing my right leg over the rear wheel. Sounds more complicated than it is (or maybe I just complicated it LOL). Kinda fun really.

I'm not as agile as I used to be (age 66.) I grab a big handful of front brake, put the pedals parallel to the ground, put my left foot on the left pedal, put all my weight on the pedal while hitting the thumb throttle to get the bike going (gyroscopic stability helps a lot with this technique) and swing my right leg over the rear wheel. Sounds more complicated than it is (or maybe I just complicated it LOL). Kinda fun really.

I actually do something similar, because I find that getting on the bike is half the battle, next you have to get the pedals moving otherwise you can fall over.

The other day that happened to me. I was taking the ebike to get the derailleur unbent and adjusted when I had to stop on the way. When I tried to get the pedals moving again the gear slipped into high gear and I almost fell over because I couldn't get the pedals to move. The gears are fixed now, but from that experience I learned to use the throttle to get going instead of relying on the pedelec, which kicks in a few seconds after you start to pedal.

I'm 72 with two hip replacements and arthritis in both knees. I got rid of the bag and switched to a set of panniers to reduce the rear height. This was a major consideration for me when ebike shopping. Although I can still swing my leg over the MTB without the bag, I don't know how much longer that will be the case. Ultimately, I chose an ebike with a step thru frame with the idea it will prolong my riding years. I was concerned at first about the "look" but now I wouldn't have it any other way. Over half the seniors I see on the trail are riding step thru's now. They no longer call them "girls bikes".
Yep, Thinking the same thing. ? I Still love the Man Bikes , lol But find myself thinking more about Step throughs , Such as the Veego 750 from Scoozy. I'm about 80% sold on it !

I have my bike seat adjusted so I can just touch my toes. The first time I had baskets on it ,I swung my leg over as I usually do ,but I stuck it in the basket and over I went. No damage except for my pride.:)

Yep, Thinking the same thing. ? I Still love the Man Bikes , lol But find myself thinking more about Step throughs , Such as the Veego 750 from Scoozy. I'm about 80% sold on it !
I've Been asking Court to do a Review on this thing !
I have my bike seat adjusted so I can just touch my toes. The first time I had baskets on it ,I swung my leg over as I usually do ,but I stuck it in the basket and over I went. No damage except for my pride.:)
Good thing Nobody got a Picture of that Right ? ???

I'm 80 and do the leaning thing, on some bikes I have I need to get the bike down below 45 degrees to get my leg over.

Last edited:
While at it what is a preferred height for the seat. Had mine adjusted so I just touched the pavement. I change it, about 1/2”, so my feet fit flat on the pavement. Better getting on but I kinda like my legs a little more extended while riding.

I'm 6-3, age 50, and I find it hard to hop over my Ibera, and I bought the mini bag too !! It only sits 3" above seat height, but your leg knows where the seat is, so you really have to throw a leg to clear the Ibera bag. I knew that the large bag was just too tall for me to use.

Last edited:
I'm 6-3, age 50, and I find it hard to hop over my Ibera, and I bought the mini bag too !! It only sits 3" above seat height, but your leg knows where the seat is, so you really have to throw a leg to clear the Ibera bag. I knew that the large bag was just too tall for me to use.
I didn’t think the mini bag would fit my rack. Seems I read it wouldn’t or I definitely would have bought it.

I bought the step through. One of my planned uses is to put a milk crate or something similar on the rack to hold fishing rods. Even Shaq couldn't throw a leg over 7 foot fishing rods. I still instinctively throw my leg over and currently have no issues or problems doing it. However, I know that as we age up, body parts can start failing very quickly.

Back