Throttle wheelies

Dynz

Region
United Kingdom
As I'm a 6'3, 38 year old child I'd like to mess about and see if I could start learning some throttle wheelies on my newly built emtb 😁. I should receive my programming cable soon, are there any settings I should change bearing this in mind, and what settings/values would be preferable? Here are my specs: BBSHD 1000W, battery is 48v 17.5 ah, frame is XL, wheels are 29", running 46T stock sprocket.

This kid seems to have perfected them, looks proper fun!

As I'm a 6'3, 38 year old child I'd like to mess about and see if I could start learning some throttle wheelies on my newly built emtb 😁. I should receive my programming cable soon, are there any settings I should change bearing this in mind, and what settings/values would be preferable? Here are my specs: BBSHD 1000W, battery is 48v 17.5 ah, frame is XL, wheels are 29", running 46T stock sprocket.

This kid seems to have perfected them, looks proper fun!
Changing your front chainring to a smaller size I would guess would benefit wheelies

LOL Better put a warning on the video...some old folks here, might have a heart attack seeing someone doing 39 MPH, ON A WHEELIE !

LOL Better put a warning on the video...some old folks here, might have a heart attack seeing someone doing 39 MPH, ON A WHEELIE !
Pretty impressive, albeit dangerous. But then again boys will be boys, and lord knows I did some dumb stuff as a kid as well lol.

Pretty impressive, albeit dangerous. But then again boys will be boys, and lord knows I did some dumb stuff as a kid as well lol.
For me the dumb stuff started with a Big Wheel

IMG_20210428_142810_238.JPG

The nice thing about wheelies on a bike...you can fly right by the "law" enforcement, without a worry.
Don't try that on a motorcycle !

Just wondering how he has the wheel come up so effortlessly , no pedaling or anything. I'm thinking I need some more torque or program the throttle so it kicks in sooner or at higher percentage, I don't know.

Just wondering how he has the wheel come up so effortlessly , no pedaling or anything. I'm thinking I need some more torque or program the throttle so it kicks in sooner or at higher percentage, I don't know.
That bike, the c100, is made specifically for wheelies.

I guess my concern would be about smoking the controller with that kind of power. Wheelie sounds like fun - until something breaks!

That bike, the c100, is made specifically for wheelies.
yeah but it's not very different from a modern half decent hardtail mtb to be honest. my concern is what his bbshd settings are like though.

I watched a guy on a regular bike just lift his front wheel and ride around the parking lot while his buddies were unloading their bikes. It's more about shifting your balance behind the rear wheel, not power.

I watched a guy on a regular bike just lift his front wheel and ride around the parking lot while his buddies were unloading their bikes. It's more about shifting your balance behind the rear wheel, not power.
My guess is it's a bit of both seeing as I'm on quite a big frame with large diameter wheels and the motor and battery add significant weight too. I used to wheelie bikes easily as a kid so I think I can re-learn quickly, but doing it throttle only on this one seems like a bit of a task 😁.

This is called a "manual". He's not really using the power to stay up as much as balancing the bike on its rear wheel.

That kid could no doubt pull tricks like that on a normal "acoustic" bike.

yeah but it's not very different from a modern half decent hardtail mtb to be honest. my concern is what his bbshd settings are like though.
I would think the one of the necessary settings would be to get the Throttle Settings as smooth as possible by widening the voltage range as much as allowed by the hardware. Each type/manufacturer has slightly different outputs.
Throttle.jpg

Start and End voltage are 11 and 36 by default respectively. I personally don't like the thumb throttle and switched to a Half_twist... but I can't say that it would be better for wheelies. Having switched the throttle... the 9 and 38 setting give me a nice smooth full range. A start of 8 resulted in an error message on the display.

If you haven't read anything about settings yet... This One explains it pretty clearly. Though for the Ultra, they are accurate as far as description is concerned for the 3 pages of settings available on the BBSxxx and I agree with the selections made on the THROTTLE Page as shown in the pic above.

Back