Throttle or no throttle. That is the question

Or what the Tesla crowd is getting?
253 Wh/mile
The most typical comment from powerful hub-drive motor e-bikes is: "I need a throttle to start my ride after the green light is on".
Dave, I own a less powerful, PAS only, hub-drive motor e-bike and know how it sucks to start from standstill. While my mid-drive motor e-bikes start as a rocket.

And the fact that you think that is a rocket... Is the same reason you are restricted to a 250w motor 🤣

In the US, most states have adopted the 3 class model ... pedal only ... big snip .. get something with a throttle that basically goes as fast as your heart/pocketbook can handle.
And as far as your battery will take you.
And that seems quite OK to me when talking about an under one horsepower motor (on the road with cars) but landmanagers see a 40mph moped and aren't going to permit those on their trails ... safe or not.

The most typical comment from powerful hub-drive motor e-bikes is: "I need a throttle to start my ride after the green light is on".
Dave, I own a less powerful, PAS only, hub-drive motor e-bike and know how it sucks to start from standstill. While my mid-drive motor e-bikes start as a rocket.
Thats only your opinion on what "the most typical comment is". You are seeing what you want to see and presenting your assumptions as facts.

Perhaps you should upgrade the controller on your cheap hub drive bike before trying to characterize every other hub drive ebike

Of course, its harder to start from a stop with a hub drive, its even worse if your not in the correct gear which alot of newbies havnt mastered yet. I am always in the correct gear from being an avid cyclist since college.

Yes, my Brose speed pedelec ebike can be a rocket from the start but also only if in the correct gear and until I have to start shifting.

To get up to top speed from a stop is easier on a hub drive (750W+) as you dont have to pause as much during upshifts which will be required on a mid-drive. You can get pretty good at doing this on the mid-drive as I have (and you probably have as well) but the hub drive is faster. This can be very important in mixed traffic

To get up to top speed with a "well" powered hub drive bike is much faster when using a throttle as no pause is required as you shift up thru the gears, you only need to pedal to make the gear changes happen.

You are not aware of these advantages because you dont have significant experience with a throttle

Last edited:
253 wh/mile vs under 8 wh/mile. Any bike wins.
But what if...
giphy.gif

I average just under 7.5wh/mi on my grossly overweight, inefficient mid-drive ebike with it's massive battery and throttle. And I've got chicken legs and live in an area known for its hills.
Curious what the pedal only peeps are getting?
Thats pretty impressive actually.

I typically dont like to ride much less that 10wh/mile and a good fun ride for me is usually 15wh/mil though I have been getting it lower as I get more fit (currently at 13wh/mile).

When I first got my Juiced CCX in late 2018, I did back to back rides on the same day between the CCX, a 48V TSDZ2 running efficient FOC opensource software and a Brose eMTB on a course of about 14 miles of rolling hills terrain trying to maintain the same heartrate for each ride. The recorded wh put back into the battery during charging was within 10% which is much lower than the likely variables due to the rider.

I also spent a month recording wh per ride for all these bikes on the same rides and once again they seemed to vary no more than 10%.

Thats pretty impressive actually.

I typically dont like to ride much less that 10wh/mile and a good fun ride for me is usually 15wh/mil though I have been getting it lower as I get more fit (currently at 13wh/mile).

When I first got my Juiced CCX in late 2018, I did back to back rides on the same day between the CCX, a 48V TSDZ2 running efficient FOC opensource software and a Brose eMTB on a course of about 14 miles of rolling hills terrain trying to maintain the same heartrate for each ride. The recorded wh put back into the battery during charging was within 10% which is much lower than the likely variables due to the rider.

I also spent a month recording wh per ride for all these bikes on the same rides and once again they seemed to vary no more than 10%.
I ride to exercise so I use the battery the same as the throttle... Like a tool.
Sometimes I need it, sometimes not.

In response to all "e-bike cowboys" whom I decided to "ignore" long time ago: I'd like to see U.S. free e-bike access to all national forests and parks; something we European enjoy on our throttle free, underpowered donkeys.

In response to all "e-bike cowboys" whom I decided to "ignore" long time ago: I'd like to see U.S. free e-bike access to all national forests and parks; something we European enjoy on our throttle free, underpowered donkeys.
I love it. 😍
You repeatedly say that you ignore me... yet you often reply.
Your ego just won't let you.
And don't worry about us... We have plenty of places to ride 😘

Okay Stefan I wasn’t being rude, my bike and my friends hub drives must be different.

I'd agree if it were not for the fact the throttles are so darn handy when first getting the bike moving. That, and they often leave you with the ability to remain mobile enough to get yourself home after an "unfortunate incident" (might be an injury, or a drive line issue (jammed chain on a hub drive for instance).

This is how I feel. I used the throttle to get started, and I have a pretty powerful mid-drive. It also makes it easier to get the bike up the 3 stairs to the porch where it is stored. I also like the idea of having power to get back to the truck should I get hurt or break a pedal on a ride.

Last edited:
Back