Throttle or no throttle. That is the question

IIRC throttles are legal in the US because of lobbying by Pedego as a way of overcoming disability and letting more people ride.
The problem I see is that many cheaply made bikes come with throttles, and many quality bike shop bikes don't. This means that many new riders (who think they need a throttle) never try riding a better bike.
When the cheap bikes break down, they just give up and leave it in the garage, and assume that all bikes are like that.
Not much that can be done about that since the big manufacturers aren't interested in adding throttles.
If a throttle was just a inexpensive upgrade, I'd add one, but buying a bike you don't really like only because it comes with a throttle is a mistake in my opinion.

I think the big manufacturers believe their base clients are not confortable with the idea of riding electric bikes. They do everything they can to hide the battery, motor, controller and components. It works well for them, they can sell smaller motors and smaller batteries bikes at higher price. Beyond the legislations, the absence of throttle confort them and their customers in the idea that the bike can't move by itself and effort is always necessary.

Last edited:
I was pedaling uphill in a mountainous County Regional Park where e bikes are allowed when passing some hikers one of them told me to turn on the battery. I told him it was on and he said I was trying to fool them.
I wouldn't mind a throttle but not that big of a deal not having one but if I rode on the road more I would want one for sure also with Cadence sensing I think a throttle is more important than it is with torque sensing.

I haven't felt the need for a throttle even though I live on a huge hill. Just keep your pedals going around and you get up any hill.
on our tandem a throttle would be nice once in awhile if we have to stop on a steep hill its tough to get started. but we manage.

There's certainly a need for throttle. It pertains to heavy e-bikes equipped with Chinese monster hub-drive motors and huge batteries. As PAS for a hub-drive never kicks in instantly, the rider cannot even move the e-bike from standstill to gain kinetic energy and accelerate without the throttle. Throttle is not needed in more lightweight Euro-style e-bikes equipped with mid-drive motors that kick in immediately when pedalling starts.

I love helpful gadgets, be they on any of my mechanicals or on my 2 wheelers. Nothing very heavy though.
I love my thumb throttle, it is smooth as silk and it weighs a few grams. Why in the world would I not want it?

I have throttles on all 4 of my ebikes and I've noticed I use the throttle less and less the more I ride. With that said, it is nice to have a throttle at a stoplight when you have cars behind you that are in a hurry( most drivers!)

I have throttles on all 4 of my ebikes and I've noticed I use the throttle less and less the more I ride. With that said, it is nice to have a throttle at a stoplight when you have cars behind you that are in a hurry( most drivers!)
or you use your gears its actually faster.

There's certainly a need for throttle. It pertains to heavy e-bikes equipped with Chinese monster hub-drive motors and huge batteries. As PAS for a hub-drive never kicks in instantly, the rider cannot even move the e-bike from standstill to gain kinetic energy and accelerate without the throttle. Throttle is not needed in more lightweight Euro-style e-bikes equipped with mid-drive motors that kick in immediately when pedalling starts.
I never needed a throttle on my 70# Juiced CCX to get started. Perhaps if your output is only 70w, a throttle would be helpful though.

Throttle can be helpful if your PAS is very jerky on startup. Many cheaper ebikes fit into this category. I see tons of them all over the place as they sell way better than the higher end ebikes

Many people want throttles for various reasons, I used to be an elitist ebiker who HATED throttles. After 3 years and over 20k miles with several ebikes (both european and chinese based) I have warmed up to their use

My 2 50# DIY ebikes (same weight as my 2 european based (i,e, brose)) bikes) with both GMAC motor(with torque sensor) and BBSHD(PAS only) both have throttle but its for more of a backup than anything else.

A throttle is the last thing I personally consider for an ebike. I am not that much of an elitist to think I can codone those who want one.

It has nothing to do with what you constantly repeat.
It's a tool with a function.. If you don't know how to use it.. That's fine. But just understand that and move on.

Last edited:
I don't currently ride a bike with a throttle, but I do have one - on another bike (It's my loaner for friends and family).
I don't miss the throttle one bit.

My wife's trike, currently supposedly on a DHL truck somewhere between Mexico City and here (Southern, Alberta) will have a throttle.
She needs it. Details are in the sub-forum "eBiking with Disabilities".

There are many use cases for throttles - I personally don't want one at present.
I reserve the right to change my mind.

I love helpful gadgets, be they on any of my mechanicals or on my 2 wheelers. Nothing very heavy though.
I love my thumb throttle, it is smooth as silk and it weighs a few grams. Why in the world would I not want it?
The problem is not the weight of the throttle... it is the weight of the big battery required for heavy throttle only use IMHO.
I understand the manufacturers concern here is people will expect the range to be equal on the same bike pedaling or not.

The whole argument about throttle or not reminds me of stick shift vs automatic transmission from a half century ago TBH.

Snip --- people will expect the range to be equal on the same bike pedaling or not.
...and that's a sad indictment of the education systems in many jurisdictions.

The basics of physics aren't that difficult to understand - to make something move you have to apply some sort of force.
The motor assembly has stored energy, and so do we.
Then there's gravity, wind, etc...

In my case I have a 500 Wh battery - and varying amounts of personal energy.
Today - not much... hence keyboard time at this time of the day.

The problem is not the weight of the throttle... it is the weight of the big battery required for heavy throttle only use IMHO.
I understand the manufacturers concern here is people will expect the range to be equal on the same bike pedaling or not.
The thing is... That's what those without a throttle think. I don't believe that the vast majority of people who appreciate a throttle use it that way.

Back