Throttle or no throttle. That is the question

Absolutely correct. But can you see someone complaining to Trek, Giant, and Specialized about their new bike going only a few miles before getting a dead battery ? Yeah, so does the marketing department. Edit reply to post 40.

Absolutely correct. But can you see someone complaining to Trek, Giant, and Specialized about their new bike going only a few miles before getting a dead battery ? Yeah, so does the marketing department.
Well I guess that speaks to the level of intelligence of thier typical customer... Same reason they need all thier repairs done by an authorized lbs.

but I had both my knees replaced recently
In my honest opinion, if that were me, I would not be cycling at all, and be glad that I can simply walk.

I believe artificial knees cost more than any ebike, so throttle 100% never-pedal ebike for you!

Well I guess that speaks to the level of intelligence of thier typical customer... Same reason they need all thier repairs done by an authorized lbs.
No not intelligence, just ignorance . I don't know how many watts my dishwasher or air conditioner draws ... I am ignorant of that. Only a few of us even consider that on our ebikes.

In my honest opinion, if that were me, I would not be cycling at all, and be glad that I can simply walk.

I believe artificial knees cost more than any ebike, so throttle 100% never-pedal ebike for you!
got to exercise or they wont heal. so I bet you need to peddle but not work hard at it. anymore the worst thing you can do in healing is not move.

Any medical procedure costs more than an ebike nowadays...

got to exercise or they wont heal. so I bet you need to peddle but not work hard at it. anymore the worst thing you can do in healing is not move.
On the bold, that the first thing that's been written in this conversation that we should all be paying attention to. Said differently, it might read "use it or loose it".

Second the notion the throttle is a tool to be used when/if you need/want to. They add just the tiniest bit of weight. What is the big deal? Why must we continue this same conversation over and over again?

If it's not available on YOUR bike, does that automatically condemn them for use by lazy uneducated buyers only? Because YOU can't have one for the bike you're currently riding? What's wrong with that logic?

In 2021, the argument against a derailleur is bewildering and something of a joke.

"I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft. Come on, fellows. Let's say that the test was a fine demonstration--for our grandparents! As for me, give me a fixed gear!" - Henri Desgrange after a derailleur equipped bike rider beat a rider using a fixed gear

Give it a few years and lets see if anyone remembers why any sane person who likes things that work properly would do away with a throttle.

No not intelligence, just ignorance . I don't know how many watts my dishwasher or air conditioner draws ... I am ignorant of that. Only a few of us even consider that on our ebikes.
I average just under 7.5wh/mi on my grossly overweight, inefficient mid-drive ebike with it's massive battery and throttle. And I've got chicken legs and live in an area known for its hills.
Curious what the pedal only peeps are getting?

Has anyone failed to notice no 2nd followup post from the OP since they started this thread?

Forum-Troll.jpg

There's certainly a need for throttle. It pertains to heavy e-bikes equipped with Chinese monster hub-drive motors and huge batteries. As PAS for a hub-drive never kicks in instantly, the rider cannot even move the e-bike from standstill to gain kinetic energy and accelerate without the throttle. Throttle is not needed in more lightweight Euro-style e-bikes equipped with mid-drive motors that kick in immediately when pedalling starts.
My bike weighs like 68lbs., 500w hub drive. PAS kicks in at LESS THAN 1/4 rotation of pedaling, in all 8 gears and all 5 PAS levels. I have a throttle and use it but I don't need it to to start riding - EVER. " cannot even move the e-bike from standstill " RIDICULOUS.

Amazing that so many are so sensitive about ebikes with throttles and that it creates such controversy on this board. To me it's like having a car with or without air conditioning. I don't have to have it, but it sure comes in handy sometimes...

I average just under 7.5wh/mi on my grossly overweight, inefficient mid-drive ebike with it's massive battery and throttle. And I've got chicken legs and live in an area known for its hills.
Curious what the pedal only peeps are getting?
Or what the Tesla crowd is getting?

My bike weighs like 68lbs., 500w hub drive. PAS kicks in at LESS THAN 1/4 rotation of pedaling, in all 8 gears and all 5 PAS levels. I have a throttle and use it but I don't need it to to start riding - EVER. " cannot even move the e-bike from standstill " RIDICULOUS.
The most typical comment from powerful hub-drive motor e-bikes is: "I need a throttle to start my ride after the green light is on".
Dave, I own a less powerful, PAS only, hub-drive motor e-bike and know how it sucks to start from standstill. While my mid-drive motor e-bikes start as a rocket.

Back