Thoughts on RadCity Step-Thru

lz54321

Hi. I'm considering the RadCity Step-Thru. The pluses are that it's a low-step frame which is good for me because I'm 5'4" and I have a bad back; I can sit straight up and adjust the stem which are also good features for a bad back; It has a 750w motor which is better than the bikes I've been looking at and the price point is $1,499 which is much lower than the other bikes (Electra Townie Go 8i, Giant LaFree E+1, Gazelle Easy Flow, Trek Verve Low-step, Pedego Interceptor, Specialized Turbo Como 3.0) and the features are about the same. The downside is the weight (65 lbs.), but I'm using it for recreation so it's not a show stopper. I'm also concerned about not being able to test drive it. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radcity-step-thru

Last edited:
If you’re thinking of online sale, you might consider the Aventon Pace 500 Stepthru at $1399. Or the Pace 350 Stepthru at $999. These ebikes come in small and medium frame sizes. They also have 10% off coupons floating around on Facebook. 30 day return policy. And the small frame weighs about 47 lbs. They are also featured at many LBS including Mikes Ebikes.

If you’re thinking of online sale, you might consider the Aventon Pace 500 Stepthru at $1399. Or the Pace 350 Stepthru at $999. These ebikes come in small and medium frame sizes. They also have 10% off coupons floating around on Facebook. 30 day return policy. And the small frame weighs about 47 lbs. They are also featured at many LBS including Mikes Ebikes.

Thanks. I'll compare the specs of the Aventon to the RadCity. Do you think it's a better bike or are you suggesting it because it's available at LBS?

I
Thanks. I'll compare the specs of the Aventon to the RadCity. Do you think it's a better bike or are you suggesting it because it's available at LBS?
I have never ridden RADCity ebikes. I have tested other ebikes (Ecotric, Ancheer, Rattan, FLX, Ride1Up, Pace 500 Stepthru, and Pace 500 Sport). I like the 500 ebikes. Powerful. Long range. Comfortable. Relatively light in weight. Different sizes available. Quality built ebikes. Value priced. They are not perfect. Cadence sensor gives that ‘pushed’ abrupt start feeling. No 0 Start Throttle (1pedal revolution required for activation). But overall I really like this ebike.

Last edited:
Blix Aveny is more than the Rad but is sold through local bike shops, weighs 54lb, same size battery as the Rad, has a geared hub motor which ought to be better at hill climbing than the direct drive motor on the Rad, and fits riders from 5’ 2”

I have the Rad City step through. It is a nice bike. I have a bad knee so it makes it easy to get on and off. Rad sells a large basket for the front rack which I bought and it is big enough to hold my dogs airline carrier and my 15 pound dog so I can take him for rides. It's also handy for when you want to take the bike to the grocery store.

For online sales I guess no need to worry as many brands have good support and Rad power is one of them. I owned a rad mini and it is very popular here in Seattle. Based on my experience Radcity must be fine too. It isn't an outstanding e-bike but certainly good for a first timer.

I sold my Rad mini recently as I wanted to buy a mid-drive motor for hills. I bought this for my self for only 1799. This one eats hills for fun. It has hydraulic brakes and 8 speed internal gear. It costs 1799$

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20190729163131.jpg
    WeChat Image_20190729163131.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 707
Blix Aveny is more than the Rad but is sold through local bike shops, weighs 54lb, same size battery as the Rad, has a geared hub motor which ought to be better at hill climbing than the direct drive motor on the Rad, and fits riders from 5’ 2”
Thank you. I’ll take a look at the Blix Avery.

I bought this for my self for only 1799.
That's an Ariel c-class with a Dapu mid-drive. How did you justify it after your troubles with the Dapu mid-drive on your wife's Pedego?

It looks just like the RadCity step-thru, but has a few extras (hydraulic brakes, torque sensing mid-motor, suspension seat post) and costs $300 more.

Note to OP: Neither says their one size fits all frame is suitable for a 5'4" rider - Ariel says 5'7"-6'4" and RC says 4'10"-6'. I'm guessing the handlebars will be too high for you. Aventon has suitable frame sizes.

The Aveny just was nicely improved to a 48 volt system and 14AH battery. Plus moved up to 500 watt motor. Other improvements too, such as even thicker tires, brake light in rear,and kept the sell price the same. The 350 watt was pretty zippy, especially only at 36 volts. 500 watts and 48 volts should have some real giddy up and go. Though haven't tried the 500 yet myself. The display also now has a USB charging port. Changed from plastic to metal fenders. Head tube has mounting brackets for optional racks or baskets. Rear rack has cargo options added as well. They are shipping now I believe.

I tried them all, and bought the Aventon Pace 500 step through. I like the weight. It's important to be able to control the bike. Even today, while riding in the bike lane, I needed to go up on the sidewalk, and needed to lift the bike. I can get it into my convertible too, without having to take off the battery. I liked the battery in the center, but it's not in the way of my foot getting on and off like others. If I have cargo on the back rack, its weight is centered. If the battery was on the back, like the RAD, that might be back heavy. The Aventon is FAST, and I felt more in control. Some of the others are a bit longer, a bit noisier, clunkier. I may change my seat, as my tush hurts after about 11 miles. They have great customer service, and I needed to adjust the stem, so that was nice to have that feature. I wish it had PAS at start, and I wish it wasn't so fast in the lowest PAS setting. Bu tother than that, I think I chose the right one. The townie felt big and clunky. Mine fits just right. I am 5'4", and it's perfect. If I was any taller, I'd need the medium.

I tried them all, and bought the Aventon Pace 500 step through. I like the weight. It's important to be able to control the bike. Even today, while riding in the bike lane, I needed to go up on the sidewalk, and needed to lift the bike. I can get it into my convertible too, without having to take off the battery. I liked the battery in the center, but it's not in the way of my foot getting on and off like others. If I have cargo on the back rack, its weight is centered. If the battery was on the back, like the RAD, that might be back heavy. The Aventon is FAST, and I felt more in control. Some of the others are a bit longer, a bit noisier, clunkier. I may change my seat, as my tush hurts after about 11 miles. They have great customer service, and I needed to adjust the stem, so that was nice to have that feature. I wish it had PAS at start, and I wish it wasn't so fast in the lowest PAS setting. Bu tother than that, I think I chose the right one. The townie felt big and clunky. Mine fits just right. I am 5'4", and it's perfect. If I was any taller, I'd need the medium.
Cloud 9 Contour comfort saddles are very popular for the Aventons, and so is the Bikeroo. Very cushy for your tushy.

Back