This is the Best Class 3 Commuter ebike - NIU BQI3

Good points thanks.

Ya I'm looking for a pure a-b commuter. The low maintenance aspect is appealing, but yea, salad spinner for speed and I do have a decent hill in my commute (though in the Electric Bike Report YouTube it did tackle their 'Hell Hole Hill's decently).
Commuting for work?
If so, what's the daily mileage you need?

Do you need the extra weight that the dual battery setup adds to the equation, and would you be fine with only having a single gear if the electrical goes out?

Just as a point of reference, my old 20"x4" fat tire folder with a Bafang rear hub motor will get me over 60km if I ride it from full to zero (48v 13ah aka 624wh) when averaging about 22-25kph.

Also, while a Gates belt is nice for its low-maintenance aspect, it's been my experience that the rear hub drive makes a traditional chain last longer than on a traditional pedal bike, because most of the torque is coming directly from the wheel, not the legs.

After the first two years of owning the fat folder (about 6 years now), I don't really pay the chain too much attention compared to my mid-drive bike.

Commuting for work?
If so, what's the daily mileage you need?

Do you need the extra weight that the dual battery setup adds to the equation, and would you be fine with only having a single gear if the electrical goes out?

Just as a point of reference, my old 20"x4" fat tire folder with a Bafang rear hub motor will get me over 60km if I ride it from full to zero (48v 13ah aka 624wh) when averaging about 22-25kph.

Also, while a Gates belt is nice for its low-maintenance aspect, it's been my experience that the rear hub drive makes a traditional chain last longer than on a traditional pedal bike, because most of the torque is coming directly from the wheel, not the legs.

After the first two years of owning the fat folder (about 6 years now), I don't really pay the chain too much attention compared to my mid-drive bike.
Commute is ~15km each way, but on the way in, the last 1.5km is a 6-8% hill. I've done it for years on my hybrid...but am tired of showing up to work a sweaty mess on hot summer mornings. Lol

Commute is ~15km each way, but on the way in, the last 1.5km is a 6-8% hill. I've done it for years on my hybrid...but am tired of showing up to work a sweaty mess on hot summer mornings. Lol
Ha!
My commute is about 8km, and going in is essentially riding up a gentle grade (think Toronto, from the lake up to Yonge/Bloor), so I'll throttle on when it's gross out.
Most any rear hub bike will come with a battery that will handle more than a single round trip, and depending on how much effort you put in, two days.

Back