Theft

One of my friend's electric bike was stolen last week. Theft in his locality is very common. So he's planning to install a security system in his outdoor. Which will be the best security system? Wired or wireless security system? Both of them have pros and cons (http://www.fire-monitoring.com/benefits-wired-vs-wireless-security-cameras/), so he's a bit confused to take the correct decision. It will be really helpful if you suggest your ideas.
Couple people I know use netgear arlo cameras. They seem simple to place and easy to use. I lock my bikes when parked in the backyard, also. Good luck.

I would think about adding several layers of security with several types of locks/chains, passive monitoring (camera), active monitoring (cell and/or Bluetooth), and bike registry with national and local agencies.

I installed Boomerang GPS Bike Security device on both of my Radrovers for $250 ea and 1 year of Verizon cell coverage. It tracks your bike in real-time on your phone or web. You can set it to alarm if someone tampers/shakes the bike. I like the feature of getting a text alert on your phone moments after someone touches your bike (text only when the system is armed with the smartphone app).

I do have U-locks, chains, and security cables also; but, Boomerang is an active monitoring system that shortens the time you react to the theft. Camera system is still an "after that fact" system and you can't take the camera with you once you leave the house.

Boomerange: http://boomerangbike.com/bicycle-anti-theft-gps-products/

Most types of +16mm chain and +16mm u-bolt will also slow down the average opportunistic thief. Most bolt cutters have an difficult time with +16mm thick metal. Anything smaller or cable locks will only delay the theft by a few minutes. Portable grinder will cut through anything if the thief is a pro; but, that will make a ton of noise.

...I installed Boomerang GPS Bike Security device on both of my Radrovers for $250 ea and 1 year of Verizon cell coverage. It tracks your bike in real-time on your phone or web. You can set it to alarm if someone tampers/shakes the bike. I like the feature of getting a text alert on your phone moments after someone touches your bike (text only when the system is armed with the smartphone app). ..

Nice info here. I will consider this option and perhaps over bike insurance. I'll have good locks so this combined with the locks and a cell phone alert I could probably be on top of anyone before they could steal the bike. Have you tested it out pretty thoroughly? If they had the boomerang tool and tried to remove the device would that be enough motion for it to text you? How sensitive is it - I assume if someone just bumped the bike rack it would be enough to set it off?

The Boomerang unit is very sensitive to movement when armed. Just unzipping my rack bag to put something away will cause the audible alarm to sound and send a text to my phone. The unit is secured to the water bottle connections with extra long security screws (need a special security bit to secure the screw). You would need to move extremely slow to unscrew and not move the bike when armed. If the bike isn't armed, someone can take their time to remove or just take a hammer to it if in a hurry. I've heard of folks putting superglue in the screwhead to slow down the thief even more (use acetone or nail polish remover to access the screw).

My bikes are covered under my USAA homeowners insurance at home or away. The lowest deductible I can get is $500 per incident; but, it covers my entire house and stuff for about $1000 per year. Separate bike insurance would cover more at a much lower deductible. I haven't checked and I'm sure the price would run an additional $15-$30 per month most likely depending on the type of coverage. I also did the National Bike Registry, Bike Index Org, and local law enforcement bike registry system. It was $25 for 5 bike for 10 years for National Bike Registry; but, everything else was free.

I'm able to store my bikes in my garage. The wife and I travel with our bikes and I worry about someone stealing the bikes off the vehicle bike rack at a Hotel parking lot at night. We have problems in my home town with thieves targeting out of state plates for break-ins at hotels because those vehicles are loaded down with stuff. I figured it would be the same issue on the road when we travel with the bikes. We try and request a hotel on the first floor and remove the bikes at night. That only happens about 15% of the time.

I figure a layered security is the best way:
- remove rack bags, accessories, battery, and lights for travel
- 5 foot Xena 14mm chain
- two Xena XSU 18mm u-bolt locks
- Boomerang units
- 12 foot cable lock (to attach bikes to SUV hitch)
- travel bike cover large enough to cover two ebikes and rack at night (out of sight, out of mind)

I figured with all those layers, the Boomerang unit will give me time to check things out while they are defeating each layer. My vote would be security layers with some type of active monitoring if you are able to respond in time. If not, the passive approach (like the camera) would be the next best thing to document the act and registry of the bike to find down the road.

...My bikes are covered under my USAA homeowners insurance at home or away. ..
Did you ask USAA specifically about ebikes? I have USAA homeowners. I have another post in a thread here asking about bike insurance because USAA told me absolutely no way is my ebike covered under my homeowners policy. Any regular bike is covered. They said they consider it a motorized vehicle. Yes, it was very confusing trying to clarify this with them and on 2 separate calls they didn't seem to understand what an ebike is. They referred me to another company who said they only cover motorcycles (and similar motorized vehicles like ATVs). They wouldn't cover ebikes. So taking USAA at their word, that an ebike to them is a motor vehicle and not covered under homeowners, I was trying to find out if the bike insurance companies were legit. I am also interested in the Boomerang for extra theft protection.

Did you ask USAA specifically about ebikes? I have USAA homeowners. I have another post in a thread here asking about bike insurance because USAA told me absolutely no way is my ebike covered under my homeowners policy. Any regular bike is covered. They said they consider it a motorized vehicle. Yes, it was very confusing trying to clarify this with them and on 2 separate calls they didn't seem to understand what an ebike is. They referred me to another company who said they only cover motorcycles (and similar motorized vehicles like ATVs). They wouldn't cover ebikes. So taking USAA at their word, that an ebike to them is a motor vehicle and not covered under homeowners, I was trying to find out if the bike insurance companies were legit. I am also interested in the Boomerang for extra theft protection.

I talked a USAA rep and they said my ebike was covered at $500 per incident. There is a chance the rep didn't understand when I said "ebike" and only heard "bike". I might have to call again to make 100% sure my two Radrovers are covered.

I called again and gave them the specs of my ebike (living in NM, Class 2, PAS/throttle, 20 mph PAS limit, $1500 each, etc...). The representative confirmed the ebikes are covered under my USAA Homeowners Policy at $500 per incident at home or away on vacation because they are classified as bikes (or Class I or II ebikes).

I think the problem might be the class III ebikes with speeds up to 28 mph can sometimes be classified as a motor vehicle in some states; which, have additional requirements and restrictions for use (no bike only paths, +16 years old to operate, register the bike, helmet, etc...). I don't know if certain states might have the same motor vehicle classification for Class I and II ebikes and the USAA rep might be saying no because of your state laws?

Sometimes you can call 3 times and get 4 different answers to the same questions. I need to read my policy to see what is in there.

Probably you're right about the speed pedelec. I did tell them it was a 28mph pedal assist. Thanks for checking.

I have Safeco insurance, I have separate riders for 2 bikes. I made sure they knew what it was on the phone only hope they back it up if needed. Liability is through my umbrella policy.

Back