The new Stromer ST5

it seems like a fat bike might be the way to go in the Winter. I wouldn't particularly enjoy exposing my ST-2 to the salty sluice we get to make winter driving safer?? With that in mind I recently acquired a Specialized HT Comp Fattie for Winter riding. It is a decent mid-drive bike with a pretty good front shock. Fun to ride but no match for my Stromer. The price was right as Specialized appears to be getting out of the HT business?

Fortunately, they don't use salt where I live. I decided on a Bixtrix Juggernaut Ultra. It has a 1000wh battery and I like the more "bike like " mid drive after trying a hub drive. I also have some pretty big hills that favor the mid drive from what I've read.

931_stromer_st5.jpg

Oh no, stromer is jumping on 27.5 wagon? The most exciting thing on st5 is no more irritating COGGING. Just wonder how complex that perk is. Hope it doesn't affect reliability.

If you compare the setlist with those for the ST2s, you'll missing some brand names like fizik or magura - and the carbon fork.

View attachment 18242

Thanks Bluecat...the ST-2S is looking like it might be a "good" buy with the carbon fork and Magura brakes, if the price drops to 9K? Love the sleekness of the ST-5, but agree with Ravi about the rack nonsense...and why would they not put the carbon fork on at that price point?

Obviously, all improvements are welcome, but as a car replacement (or alternative, in my case), what really matters is range. That the ST2 and ST2 X offered such impressive range (equal w/ battery upgrade for the ST2) was why I opted for the more expensive Stromer brand. I also felt the Stromer was genuinely more comfortable to ride than many others. It looks like the ST5 is a definite improvement, but only enough to wait for a subsequent upgrade to this line.

Did I catch this right, that the ST5 battery is a larger capacity cell? Or am I mistaken? Are the motor and battery very substantial upgrades? Can they be added to the ST2?

Did I catch this right, that the ST5 battery is a larger capacity cell? Or am I mistaken? Are the motor and battery very substantial upgrades? Can they be added to the ST2?

The blue battery is for both ST2 and ST5 the same with 983Wh. .

The motor of the ST5 is a significant improvement

30918366dt.jpg

As seen on the front view picture above, the whole wiring is removed from outside the handlebar. This is all done by myStromer AG, a tiny company from Switzerland.

Now let's have a look how Bosch, a very large player in the E-bike sector, solves this problem:

You'll recognize the horn and the Supernova M99pro. Therefore it's clearly more than a prototype, it is a 2018 street legal e-bike. It carries Bosch' new invention, the ABS system for electric bicycles. The huge thing above #3 is Bosch's own bike computer. Keep in mind, the ST5 shown at Eurobike was also a prototype...

30918321oi.jpg

Picture taken at EICMA motorcycle fair in Milano and first published in german eMTB news.

As seen on the front view picture above, the whole wiring is removed from outside the handlebar. This is all done by myStromer AG, a tiny company from Switzerland.

Now let's have a look how Bosch, a very large player in the E-bike sector, solves this problem:

You'll recognize the horn and the Supernova M99pro. Therefore it's clearly more than a prototype, it is a 2018 street legal e-bike. It carries Bosch' new invention, the ABS system for electric bicycles. The huge thing above #3 is Bosch's own bike computer. Keep in mind, the ST5 shown at Eurobike was also a prototype...

30918321oi.jpg

Picture taken at EICMA motorcycle fair in Milano and first published in german eMTB news.
You don’t have to go that far to critique Bosch.
They just started putting battery in “the tube”,
As in where it should have been all along.

A short video of ST5 from Switzerland.

On March 3rd, the Stromer HQ invited to the first public rollout of the ST5. I've missed that event because I was out for snowboarding in the Swiss alps:

1520677182158.png

@Ravi Kempaiah Thanks for the video; please don't take it personally, you're only the bearer of that bad stuff and not responsible for the content.

This ist the worst and horrible private video about a Stromer I've ever seen!

I fear, you guys in the US must have a bad impression about Europe. Let me tell the following:

• Also in Europe, TV and cinema screens are in landscape orientation.
  • Also in Europe, Google picture search is well known.
  • Also in Europe, it is bad business practice, using foreign pictures.
  • Also in Europe, the main content is related to the main topic.
  • Also in Europe, pan and tilt effects are well known and used with sure instinct.

Ha ha!

Gorgeous snowboarding scene!

It was approx. 2850m and around -25ºC

I was hesitating removing my gloves, opened the jacket and grab the mobile phone. I could see almost nothing on the screen. But at this location was absolute no wind. So I took some pictures.

The coldest winter, in which I've ridden my Stromer was -15ºC. Because of the windchill and the complete lack of the sun (in the morning and evening,when I commute), this felt much colder.

Later, at the edge to the glacier, we made another photoshop. That time, it was very windy, so I was lying on the ground. You see me in the reflection of my companions' helmet :)

1520971551255.png

With the latest media release, a new picture was published.

The cover of the downtube (around the horn) has now its final shape.

For Switzerland and the EU, 48 Nm and 850W are confirmed. The final assembly (for Switzerland) will take place at the HQ. The motor is called "SYNO sport", but i don't know what constructive improvement was made. The ST5 has bigger wheels, therefore the motor needs more force to turn the wheel (lever action). Bigger wheels are turning slower, this is a disadvantage in terms of efficiency (overheating).

With this in mind, it will be interesting to see, how Stromer solved it (making the ST5 more agile than the ST2s)

32298538zy.jpg

Howdy @bluecat thanks for all of your updates, pictures, and excitement around the ST5. Tomorrow, I'm attending a launch event for the bike and may even get to meet the president of the company. What would you guys like to know? Post any questions here, anything, and I'll do my best to get you some answers and make an in-depth review. It's a special bike and I'd like to honor it and you with an objective look :)

Howdy @bluecat thanks for all of your updates, pictures, and excitement around the ST5. Tomorrow, I'm attending a launch event for the bike and may even get to meet the president of the company. What would you guys like to know? Post any questions here, anything, and I'll do my best to get you some answers and make an in-depth review. It's a special bike and I'd like to honor it and you with an objective look :)
When are they going to start selling their ebikes in Australia

Back