The new Stromer ST5

Can they make a a decent front suspension fork as an option, no need to pay for an expensive carbon fiber paperweight, already have one from current st2 and wife’s st2s. Ask if they have heard of Bluetooth when we can’t get a WiFi signal...maybe even a useful mapping software

Howdy @bluecat thanks for all of your updates, pictures, and excitement around the ST5. Tomorrow, I'm attending a launch event for the bike and may even get to meet the president of the company. What would you guys like to know? Post any questions here, anything, and I'll do my best to get you some answers and make an in-depth review. It's a special bike and I'd like to honor it and you with an objective look :)

Hi Court, Lucky you getting to get to a launch event. So I had my ST2s for about 2 months now and ride it every day. I want to know why they cant have a built in mapping Omni in future? I know the ST5 can allow a 2nd screen but colour mapping on the main screen would be good and save me having to buy a garmin 1000 touring. Also why are they insisting on selling them with these racing style saddles still? Mine came with one and I have just ordered a huge comfy touring saddle. These bikes are built for commuting and touring not racing. Lastly I cant believe they wouldn't put the electronic shifting on this. Mine has it and I love it. It's a must have especially at this price point.

Cheers
Mark

Stay tuned for the video which tells the story behind this picture!

1524230828269.png

Howdy @bluecat thanks for all of your updates, pictures, and excitement around the ST5. Tomorrow, I'm attending a launch event for the bike and may even get to meet the president of the company.

Thanks!

You may ask him (Kusi?) the following:

• Let him show you, where the e Tube project can be connected to program the Di2
  • How long will the extra power last - seconds, minutes?
  • How will be peak Amperage - 35 A?
  • How can I afford an ST5?
Being honest, for the last question, I've already got the answer. Just check out the video:

Hi guys, I tried to get all of the questions answered and just posted the ST5 review at https://electricbikereview.com/stromer/st5/ and the YouTube video as well.

I still have access to the bikes for a couple of days. Let me know if anything went unanswered or you have other questions, and I will do my best to get some answers :) Here are a couple of concept art pictures that I got from the Stromer leadership team which show the optional rear rack (that attaches to the back fender) and the Wren inverted air suspension which is said to have 30 mm travel and work with their front fender:

stromer-st5-concept-art-optional-rear-rack.jpgstromer-st5-concept-art-optional-wren-inverted-suspension-fork.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys, I tried to get all of the questions answered and just posted the ST5 review at https://electricbikereview.com/stromer/st5/ and the YouTube video as well.

I still have access to the bikes for a couple of days. Let me know if anything went unanswered or you have other questions, and I will do my best to get some answers :) Here are a couple of concept art pictures that I got from the Stromer leadership team which show the optional rear rack (that attaches to the back fender) and the Wren inverted air suspension which is said to have 30 mm travel and work with their front fender:

View attachment 21045View attachment 21046

Great coverage. Thanks court!
Looking forward to riding this thing in the coming months..

@Court Thanks for your wide-stretched review!

Regarding the problem, how to afford an Stromer ST5, I've something to add.

If you don't have a Porsche 356 to sell: Be aware, still collect the whole amount. Otherwise, the company might send out somebody...

1524425269387.png

...and when he's gone, you're garage will be completely empty :-(

...I still have access to the bikes for a couple of days. Let me know if anything went unanswered or you have other questions, and I will do my best to get some answers :) ...

Nice, detailed review. Did you notice any vibration dampening due to that TranzX seatpost? After watching your review I checked out the TranzX seatpost and vibration dampening stems on their website.They claim to have won a Reddot award. I don't see any way for a US consumer the purchase the seatpost as a stand alone component. Would I perhaps be able to get one through a Stromer dealer in the US (interested in the seatpost for another bike)?

I’m a likely buyer of st5. I’ll ignore recharging shifter separately(st2s only needs it once a month), more concerned with 30mm travel of forks- although upside down are cool. And learned on st2s the headtube is encumbered with electronics internally and would not accept rockshox Sid because taper was too long-
So had to use Stromer branded forks- they work good anyway.
THE PROBLEM will be the handlebar height. If there is not an easy way to elevate bars- then I’m out.
Hopefully there will be, because a more powerful st with the other upgrades sounds perfect!

Nice looking bike indeed. But I might prefer 2 pretty good bikes for the price of 1 really good bike ...

ST1X with "stromer" suspension an the 814 Wh battery and an ST2S. yes, those suit my needs (and then some haha) just fine. I need to post some pics soon, but life gets in the way. I got a lot from even the limited amount of info in this forum, the least I can do is pay it forward. Having two gives me lots of options, such as taking a second battery with me for an epic ride, giving me a "beater", giving me a "loaner", giving me an option in case one ever needs service, etc, etc.

I just didn't see enough improvements in the ST5 to merit the pricetag. Most of my reasons not to upgrade have already been mentioned here. In fact, although it's sleek an sexy looking, all that burred wiring could be a pain. The proprietary fork could be a pain. I'd prefer an abrasion resistant finish such as bare aluminum or chrome. None of my german bmw motorcycles ever had burred wiring, why should my "swiss" made in Taiwan bicycles? I would also expect a suspension seat post and one of those annoying narrow racktime racks at full retail, even if they ship loose so the buyer can install later or sell them. Just my two cents on the ST5. Again, the ST5 is a sexy, powerful bike, but I'll wait till something newer comes out and maybe pick one up as deman/prices start to fall. Maybe not though. I really didn't see the appeal.

On stromer site it now says the 2018 st2s has 800 watt motor. Wonder if this is a simple firmware update or the new motor...
Or an error
I had questioned this also before I bought the st2s. The st2s I purchased was manufactured in november or december '17. I was told by my dealer (a nationally known reputable dealer) that the 2018 st2s specs listed on the stromer website are not for the american version. I was told that the 2018 american version still has the 500w motor and does not have the electric horn. I'm very curious to do a fact check, so let me know what your research tells you. Either way, I'm happy as

PS, thanks Court, for your excellent youtube videos, this forum, an all your work for the eBike community.

Last edited:
For a 10 grand ebike, the horn should be, at least, water proof. I mentioned this before when the early pictures were released.

1524601613804.png

It looks like the US version that Court sampled appears to be water proof (or at least it looks different and more resistant to the elements).

1524602107861.png

Especially that the front wheel's spray pattern throws up squarely towards the horn.

1524602511517.png

There is a reason why the fender of the specialized Vado hangs low, to protect the mid drive from water and debris (and also your feet).

1524602540666.png

I would upgrade to that ST5 in a minute if I could get a reasonable trade in. Even emailed the store in Madison wi I bought my ST2S At last year times two attempts online and owners email but no response yet. I want it now lol!

Back