The new Stromer ST5

In a walking boot and visited my bike yesterday in the shop , thx :)

Last edited:
It has to have way more torque. My wife can smoke me with her Pedago Interceptor....I mean really smoke those bikes are fast up hills and she is only 5'4 and 110 pounds.
I'm going to seek out a pedago Interceptor. Anything that can smoke a st2- is definitely something to try. I never felt a need for more power with my st2.
Of course if the hill gets steep enough- even the most gutless mid drive will walk right up it........ at 2 miles an hour.

$10,000 ? Is that right ? So, you drive it off the lot and drop 3K. Rich hipster bike.

$10,000 ? Is that right ? .... Rich hipster bike.

Close miss.

Not the ST5 will fit your assumptions - but the ST2 LTD would fit well ;-)

upload_2017-10-8_17-29-16.png

Although I am a Stromer fan- most of st5 features are meaniless to me. Plastic or tin hiding the cables just make it harder to change bars, 4 caliper brakes when st2 brakes have awesome stopping power, and the 750 watt motor- again the st2 really shines with all the power avaiable from 500 watt motor.
27.5 tires, guaranteed to make it a bit harder to reach the ground.
All good though, shows they are still working a way for a better bike and(thank god) didn't kill it by following the mid- drive jive.
Everyone has their wish list- mine was name brand forks, dropper body float and anti-lock brakes. Oh, and a girls frame!

After my midnight ride- one more thing- add enough rear gears or stretch ratio out even more to make lowest gear hide the motor. More super climbing ability maybe even as good as a mid drive- bigger rear brake disc to hide that side of motor thus almost completely eliminating "is that an electric bike".

Although I am a Stromer fan- most of st5 features are meaniless to me. Plastic or tin hiding the cables just make it harder to change bars, 4 caliper brakes when st2 brakes have awesome stopping power, and the 750 watt motor- again the st2 really shines with all the power avaiable from 500 watt motor.
27.5 tires, guaranteed to make it a bit harder to reach the ground.
All good though, shows they are still working a way for a better bike and(thank god) didn't kill it by following the mid- drive jive.
Everyone has their wish list- mine was name brand forks, dropper body float and anti-lock brakes. Oh, and a girls frame!

Just curious, why do you dislike mid-drives so much ? Which ones have you tried ?

Just curious, why do you dislike mid-drives so much ? Which ones have you tried ?
Honestly, because I've convinced myself I don't like them. Starting 3 years ago when I test rode a haibike in Santa Barbara- my favorite pair of pants got torn a bit on front sprocket chain, then had a traffic light turn on me at exact wrong moment, not knowing it would hardly budge in high gear from a stop had a frustrating take off…………..
Las spring I was so curious about all the mid-drive hype- I went to Long Beach, tested the heck out of all motor makes and bought Bulls es 45 fs. After owning it awhile, I realized I was not in good enough shape to keep it cruising along in mid-twentys like my stromer…….
And, I always new there were a lot of moving parts in that bottom bracket, where as rear hub direct drive is so simple, so repairs and breakdowns are more likely. But, really my first sentence is the most important. Honesty the only policy.

Fair enough. I'm a complete neophyte and have only ridden two mid- drive bikes. I have a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra coming on Thursday. The Stromers sure are sexy !

Last edited:
$10,000 ? Is that right ? So, you drive it off the lot and drop 3K. Rich hipster bike.
Ki
its a bit more complex than rich hipster bike. When your at 28mph inches from cars buzzing along- it's comforting to be on the best.
And, buy the best, own the best, and resell the best. I proved tat to myself for about 30 years on all kinds of stuff.

Ki

its a bit more complex than rich hipster bike. When your at 28mph inches from cars buzzing along- it's comforting to be on the best.
And, buy the best, own the best, and resell the best. I proved tat to myself for about 30 years on all kinds of stuff.

Best in what way ? I need a bike for winter riding. Are they the best at that ?

Last edited:
I have a Stromer ST-2 which I love...worth every penny (dollar) spent. I was able to recently pick up a new Specialized turbo-levo HT fattie for a really decent price to use for winter riding. With 4.6 " tires, it will go nearly any place one might care to venture. It is however limited to around 18mph, but I am told will go in snow. It's a different animal altogether, but is my go to bike in crappy weather because it is designed to take the abuse.

How the f*ck would I know, where do you live? Actually I don't care. And, as you know - I was giving sane advice about buying the best. You wanna snow bike? Buy the best

How the f*ck would I know, where do you live? Actually I don't care. And, as you know - I was giving sane advice about buying the best. You wanna snow bike? Buy the best

No reason for profanity. "Best" is a sweeping generality that doesn't really apply without understanding the application.

No reason for profanity. "Best" is a sweeping generality that doesn't really apply without understanding the application.
Unlike the precise term "winter riding".
I'm going to tell you why I think buying the best, owning the best, reselling the best............. I went thru a series of boats in my younger days and they got big enough to go offshore fishing. My first island capable boat was a 24' thunderbird cathedral hull. Excactly like rangers boat on tv's flipper. It proved to be capable and had a relatively low price of admission. It was also ugly to most, wasn't built to robust, and didn't have the best hardware- cleats, rails and stuff.
I threw some average electronics on it and we boated around Channel Islands for a couple years and enjoyed ourselves-
When I sold it- due to its mid level quality and not being the most attractive boat around- it did not sell for as much as I had spent on electronics bolted to dashboard. Next boat: 25 farallon, it was used, but in good condition. Paid 25k(at that time was a lot of money for me). We ran the heck out of it for 5 years, with a different sort of attitude at launch ramps and offshore up and down Cali coast. Proud of our boat. Ran the Chrysler engine pretty much totally out.
Put it up for sale in 1997 for 31,000. A guy came looked at it and offered to buy it. Ok, when can you go for a sea trial? I don't need one, I am going to repower it, I'll hook it up to my truck and pay you now. Done.
I have repeated same thing with dodge diesel pick ups and caterpillar equipment and everything else that I've owned ever since. That's it.

I see problems regarding the tires of the ST5. Will there be winter tires / spikes available in its size? For the ST2, there are (and are well proven in Switzerland). In general, a very large battery, a real (automotive like) headlight and disc brakes are helpful. From my personal experience, the sole critical point was icing on the derailleur. This might happen under rare circumstances.

Conclusion: Take the ST2s instead the ST5.

BTW: For commuting, hub drives are superior to the mid-drive due to technical reasons.

I see problems regarding the tires of the ST5. Will there be winter tires / spikes available in its size? For the ST2, there are (and are well proven in Switzerland). In general, a very large battery, a real (automotive like) headlight and disc brakes are helpful. From my personal experience, the sole critical point was icing on the derailleur. This might happen under rare circumstances.

Conclusion: Take the ST2s instead the ST5.

BTW: For commuting, hub drives are superior to the mid-drive due to technical reasons.

Thanks for all the good info. I really don't think I want to ride in deep snow with anything other than a fat bike. I could see a narrower aggressive tread working on packed snow but not the deep stuff. Regarding drive systems, I've only ridden mid drives and only two of those but the Trek Super Commuter was really nice around town. I'd like to try a hub drive.

Thanks for all the good info. I really don't think I want to ride in deep snow with anything other than a fat bike. I could see a narrower aggressive tread working on packed snow but not the deep stuff. Regarding drive systems, I've only ridden mid drives and only two of those but the Trek Super Commuter was really nice around town. I'd like to try a hub drive.

it seems like a fat bike might be the way to go in the Winter. I wouldn't particularly enjoy exposing my ST-2 to the salty sluice we get to make winter driving safer?? With that in mind I recently acquired a Specialized HT Comp Fattie for Winter riding. It is a decent mid-drive bike with a pretty good front shock. Fun to ride but no match for my Stromer. The price was right as Specialized appears to be getting out of the HT business?

Back