The Green Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the BBC report about the mudslides like @john peck predicted. Then I saw your pictures.

So I take it that fiber optic lines are aboveground there? Down here I think they have to be buried for some reason. Some power lines are buried, but most are overhead.

For those of you with 100% electric cars, what are your thoughts on using the level 1 chargers that come with the car vs installing a level 2 at your home? I have been charging my new Hyundai for a day and a half and am just up to 87% charge with the Level 1 charger. I havent checked out a public charging station yet, and have heard the Level 1 charging method is better for your battery....

This new and improved four seasons of Fire, Flood, Dust, and Mud often predicted by scientists ? Purely a coincidence.
I may look at property currently flooded as an opportunity. The rain abated late afternoon, sun break.
I hope you are okay Dave. I predict that south central Saskatchewan will be hit hard this year due to climate change. Strong winds (100Km) and blowing snow are expected across southern Saskatchewan tonight and Tuesday. But who knows, I could be wrong? At least the winds are obeying the speed limit.
...& I thought we had rain here! I´m sure there is flooding nearby, but nothing like that. In spite of the
forecast we´re having a sun break for now. I´d ride, but there´s so much wind debris. I just went through
a traumatic spoke repair after a stick flipped into my spokes. I replaced the rear disc with a caliper since
i couldn´t replace that spoke without yanking the disc,( which is no longer of use, stripped threads)😡
P.S. the caliper rim brake works as well as the disc ever did. Discs are just a marketing ploy.

Last edited:
I may look at property currently flooded as an opportunity. The rain abated late afternoon, sun break.

...& I thought we had rain here! I´m sure there is flooding nearby, but nothing like that. In spite of the
forecast we´re having a sun break for now. I´d ride, but there´s so much wind debris. I just went through
a traumatic spoke repair after a stick flipped into my spokes. I replaced the rear disc with a caliper since
i couldn´t replace that spoke without yanking the disc,( which is no longer of use, stripped threads)😡
P.S. the caliper rim brake works as well as the disc ever did. Discs are just a marketing ploy.
Since floods along the river are both common and usually predictable, much of the floodplain land over here is used for private campgrounds and boat clubs. When flooding looks likely they haul all the campers and boats uphill and park them on high ground for a few weeks. So there's step 1 of how to get rich buying flooded property ... Not .

Reminds me of Europe last year (?)
Yes. Germany and the UK anyway. And they suffered "unprecedented" heat waves the summer before the floods too, IIRC . "Unprecedented" that word kind of got overused the last few years. Not in a good way, either.

Last edited:
There's nothing I can say. The weather didn't have to go this way, but it is now extreme weather as a new normal, I think.
"The village of Lytton, in the Interior, broke the record for hottest temperature recorded in Canada for three consecutive days, reaching 49.6 on June 29. The following day, the village burned down."
That is HOT. 121 F. That is as if the Sahara Desert was transported to rural Canada.

Abby` Normal in fossil-fuel, and her criminal family,
Fat's Normal in food grade plastics,
Smoky and Sneezy Normal in tobacco and patent medicine ... maybe we should talk about trees .

Is there a chance that logging in the Amazon just isn't as profitable as it was a decade or two ago and it was facing increasing shipping costs no matter what happened at COP?

And all I know about methane emissions is that it was supposed to be cheaper to set the methane on fire than to find and plug all the leaks in wells, which sounds like a "bargaining chip" for fossil-fuels. Then there are cows and pigs, chickens, and the whole dairy industrys.

Last edited:
Capture what you can’t contain…at least use the energy. Get ride of the subsidies like depletion allowance, others…and give a subsidy for upgrades to improve system

There are a lot of fancy graphs and 'evidence ' on the net that ends up posted here; certainly I am guilty of doing that.
So here's my all time favorite climate timeline from xkcd.com.
global_temperature_over_my_lifetime.png

Since floods along the river are both common and usually predictable, much of the floodplain land over here is used for private campgrounds and boat clubs. When flooding looks likely they haul all the campers and boats uphill and park them on high ground for a few weeks. So there's step 1 of how to get rich buying flooded property ... Not .
I was thinking more in terms of agricultural potential. In Asia they´ve harnessed periodic flooding
to farm fields & fish in the same location.

Maybe not in Bangladesh where each monsoon seems to kill hundreds of thousands. But certainly in Vietnam and others with thousands of years experience in aquaculture

I was thinking more in terms of agricultural potential. In Asia they´ve harnessed periodic flooding
to farm fields & fish in the same location.
IIRC, they have had carp (and other critters) growing among the rice paddies for generations. And they have both manual and mechanical irrigation via big ditches between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back