The Green Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PedalUma: Yes, addictive, though your addiction is more social than mine. I spend so much time with people at work that I like riding solo. Being alone in nature is part of what makes it so compelling for me-- I got the same thing out of downhill skiing, and I often managed to ski when the mountain was deserted, too (also sometimes at night), though skiing is about as green as golfing (not very!)

Further and further? Sometimes, yeah. Definitely later and later. Tuesday night, I took a route that has some sections with a lot of dirt and a lot of steep climbing that I only do every five or six weeks, but much later than usual. Ferocious one-hour workout, felt great, but I realized: "It is getting REALLY dark out."

There's a huge difference between 20 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes after sunset. My headlight is good enough for illuminating a 20-foot wide corridor in front of my bike about 50 to 100 feet, but lone night-hikers by the side of the road appear suddenly like spectral apparitions. So 25 minutes after sunset, I really start to back off on the downhill speed... I might not have time to react to a coyote, deer, or even an inattentive hiker over 25 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back