The Green Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I like about picking Regina, Saskatchewan in advance to track this Winter is that the data cannot be cherry picked. It is mid-continent and representative of the Northern portion on North America. Let's have a local DJ with a morning call-in show be the judge. The question being, "Was the Winter of 2021-2022 weird?"
I hope to win because I do not want to get stuck ridding a throttle bike with a paper bag over my head for a day
1636311111075.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a graph showing the deviations (dots) from the longtime median temperatures.
The graph at the top showes the raw data and the graph below the so called "adjusted" data.
If you compare the graphs it should became clear what the "adjustments" really mean.

cc fraud.jpg

When the trolls wear you down, just remember science deniers and idgets are nothing new.
nuke .jpg

Here is a graph showing the deviations (dots) from the longtime median temperatures.
The graph at the top showes the raw data and the graph below the so called "adjusted" data.
If you compare the graphs it should became clear what the "adjustments" really mean.

View attachment 106018
They needed to hide the big spike in temperature early in the century from about 1915 to 1940 which was hotter quicker than the 2009 era, so they had to reduce it

"At 06:25 28/09/2009, Tom Wigley wrote:

Phil,

Here are some speculations on correcting SSTs to partly explain the 1940s warming blip.

If you look at the attached plot you will see that the landalso shows the 1940s blip (as I’m sure you know). So, if we couldreduce the ocean blip by, say, 0.15 degC, then this would besignificant for the global mean --but we’d still have to explain the land blip.

I’ve chosen 0.15 here deliberately. This still leaves anocean blip, and i think one needs to have some form ofocean blip to explain the land blip(via either somecommon forcing, or ocean forcing land, or vice versa, or all ofthese).

When you look at other blips, the land blips are 1.5 to 2times (roughly) the ocean blips -- higher sensitivity plus thermal inertia effects. My 0.15 adjustment leaves things consistent with this, so you can see where I am coming from.

Removing ENSO does not affect this.

It would be good to remove at least part of the 1940s blip,but we are still left with “why the blip”."

Phil Jones:
PS I’m getting hassled by a couple of people torelease the CRU station temperature data.
Don’t any of you three tell anybody that the UK hasa Freedom of Information Act !

Regarding the "blah, blah, blah" factor at COP, maybe this has something to do with it.
"More than 100 fossil fuel companies are understood to have sent 500 lobbyists to the COP26 climate talks in Glasgow, Scotland, more than any single country at the summit, according to the environmental campaign group Global Witness. "

BTW that's more people than any country sent.
"I'm from Exon and I'm here to help..."

Regarding the "blah, blah, blah" factor at COP, maybe this has something to do with it.
"More than 100 fossil fuel companies are understood to have sent 500 lobbyists to the COP26 climate talks in Glasgow, Scotland, more than any single country at the summit, according to the environmental campaign group Global Witness. "

BTW that's more people than any country sent.
"I'm from Exon and I'm here to help..."
It's good that you recognize that the whole thing is a political enrichment party with planeloads of booze and treats.

As to the IPCC, after the political parties decide what is going to be said, the "scientists" make the Summary for Policymakers according to what they have been instructed will be said.

The Bay of Fundy For hefty surge…but I think the various approaches with hydrogen storage as well as transmission will predictably improve grid stability

To change the subject, perhaps others following this thread can offer some advice

My brother very much wants to get an electric vehicle. He lives in an apartment complex where power outages are frequent and can sometimes last for days. Gas generators aren't allowed, although he does have a small one which he uses for his refrigerator. The nearest EV charging station is 25 miles away and he's afraid of being stranded without transportation during a power outage.

The only advice I could offer was to look at hybrid vehicles instead until more EV charging stations are added in his area.

This raises another question. I have yet to see an EV charging station with a backup power source. Does this mean there will be hundreds, if not thousands of stranded EV vehicle owners during a widespread power failure?

Yes, this can happen with gas & diesel powered vehicles as well when gas stations can't pump. However, a fairly small backup generator can power a gas pump to potentially fuel hundreds of vehicles. The energy is stored in tanks, not in the grid.

During Katrina for example, generator trucks were brought in to power gas stations. Many, many more such trucks would be required to do the same for EV's.

Has any thought been given as to how to power the increasing number of electric vehicles during a Katrina event or worse yet, a major grid failure?

"He lives in an apartment complex where power outages are frequent and can sometimes last for days." Wow! My suggestion is that he move!

To change the subject, perhaps others following this thread can offer some advice

My brother very much wants to get an electric vehicle. He lives in an apartment complex where power outages are frequent and can sometimes last for days. Gas generators aren't allowed, although he does have a small one which he uses for his refrigerator. The nearest EV charging station is 25 miles away and he's afraid of being stranded without transportation during a power outage.

The only advice I could offer was to look at hybrid vehicles instead until more EV charging stations are added in his area.

This raises another question. I have yet to see an EV charging station with a backup power source. Does this mean there will be hundreds, if not thousands of stranded EV vehicle owners during a widespread power failure?

Yes, this can happen with gas & diesel powered vehicles as well when gas stations can't pump. However, a fairly small backup generator can power a gas pump to potentially fuel hundreds of vehicles. The energy is stored in tanks, not in the grid.

During Katrina for example, generator trucks were brought in to power gas stations. Many, many more such trucks would be required to do the same for EV's.

Has any thought been given as to how to power the increasing number of electric vehicles during a Katrina event or worse yet, a major grid failure?
The electric vehicle makers have been creating a built in implosion scenario based on power and acceleration as if they were in the heyday of muscle cars. They should have been producing some conservative electric vehicles with tiny liquid fuel motors that generate electricity, such as the oddity BMW with a small motorcycle engine to produce electricity.
The legacy magazines are garbage anachronisms. They mislead as to the usefulness of this superb alternative, as if nothing is happening:

"Its styling is out of this world, but as an electric vehicle, the 2021 BMW i3 doesn't quite measure up. Rival EVs such as the Tesla Model 3, the Chevrolet Bolt EV, and the Hyundai Kona Electric offer larger batteries and longer driving ranges for similar prices. To make up for its stingy 153-mile driving range, the i3 can be ordered with an optional gasoline-powered engine to provide additional range—something buyers who aren't quite ready to let go of internal combustion may find comforting. The i3's cabin is far more premium than its rivals', though, especially with the optional curved-wood dashboard and leather-and-wool upholstery. As the EV movement gains momentum, the future of the i3 is in question, with BMW preparing more competitive models such as the upcoming i4 sedan and iX SUV. If the i3's design strikes a chord and its limited driving range suits your lifestyle, 2021 may be your last chance to park a new one in your driveway."

It's misleading in that the ICE can be run for charging during driving and it achieves the same performance as the electric on its battery, because it is running on its battery.

They apparently ran into this charging issue at COP . Some visiting diplomats were issued luxury electric SUVs, but there are no charging ststions close to the confrence. Opps. Bring on the diesel generators ...

They apparently ran into this charging issue at COP . Some visiting diplomats were issued luxury electric SUVs, but there are no charging ststions close to the confrence. Opps. Bring on the diesel generators ...
Green idjits can't even plan how to move some VIPs around, but they want to dictate every facet of your life. Enjoy the bugs for dinner ... that won't be delivered.

Here is Scotty showing off the BMW

"He lives in an apartment complex where power outages are frequent and can sometimes last for days." Wow! My suggestion is that he move!
Yeah, I've been telling him the same thing for years.
The rent is affordable and it's close to work, so he's willing to put up with the inconvenience.

This is kind of like a plot point in a terrible sci-fi episodic ("Invasion" - spoiler alert, but I watched three episodes so you don't have to.)

A horrible couple from a disenfranchised population, who have no redeeming characteristics whatsoever that I could identify, is attacked at a gas station's single Tesla charging station by a mob of horrible white people who feel they have the right to use it first. They wind up stealing another family's car, demonstrating personal ethics so loathsome that I no longer cared what happened to them. (If the aliens eventually show up and turn out to be more believable than the humans, maybe I would pick it back up again.)

I am so done with this series-- the portrayals of both the minority and privileged characters was so completely implausible I couldn't be bothered to even hate them. But it did occur to me that the Tesla charging problem could be a real issue during an emergency-- and 6z's brother's predicament is a far more realistic one.

OTOH, gas shortages and outages do happen, and are generally very unexpected when they do. Whether a power or gasoline shortage is more likely can sometimes be predicted by location, but not always.

I remember waiting in a long line for gasoline in Tennessee in '79 when I was doing summer stock. We knew supply was tight, but no one expected gas lines. The owner had a gun in a holster on his belt while he was directing traffic and keeping the line orderly, but I remember some guy screaming, "What do you have that dog leg on your hip for?!" and thinking, "Yeah, that bothered me, too, until you started hollering about it. Now I'm kind of glad that he does."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back