The Dilemma.....

erider_61

Having moved from my cottage to a 3rd floor apt. uptown I can no longer wheel my bike inside. Was able to find renters insurance that covers ebikes up to $3,000 without adding a rider.

So now my precious ebike spends its nights in a little fenced in area under the back stairs. Going to add a motion alarm and GPS tracker.

But for the moment it is locked to a pole with my normal chain and lock and ulock on front wheel. I remove the battery and seat post every night. I also cover it so you don't see it's an ebike

Being a locksmith I know both the chain and ulock could be cut with bolt cutters. So to help me sleep a little bit better I have added 1/2 grade 70 transport chain with a concealed boron shackle padlock. You are going to need a cordless grinder and at least 5-6 mins to cut this chain. Then 2 more locks to cut.

By that time I should be down the stairs with my bat and pepper spray once I have added the motion alarm....lol

20200603_082324.jpg

I hate to be the one to show you this but if somebody really wants your bike if they use this grinder with this cutting wheel, they can have your bike in about 1.5 minutes there is YouTube video on it.
Cordless Grinder
Cutting Wheel For Titanium

However it is fairly loud and if done at night makes quite the light show for anybody around to see.
(I sell power tools for my job)

It might be better to get a more portable bike that you can carry into your apartment. Having to constantly worry about the bike being stolen every time you're inside the house is not worth it.

Is there a metal post you can lock to? That wood post can be cut very quickly and quietly with a battery powered saw...

If your'e in a higher crime area, get a serious chain for a motorcycle, and just leave it at your home for on site parking. They make cut-proof chains but their heavy and expensive. Also consider a cover for the bike. A cheap $20 small motorcycle cover from Ollie's would do fine. And put in a ground anchor if possible. I have 2 ground anchors mounted for my motorcycle. I never worry about lift-off theft.

You go after them with a bat...they shoot you. eh....no bike is worth it.
I guess I could bring my gun also...but the sound of a bat striking bone is much more satisfying....I guess I could put on the Kevlar vest to make it interesting...lol

Saw wood post. Lift bike off with chain. Remove chain when you get home.

Opps...wrong forum. 😆
Bike would be 100 lbs with chains on....Plus it is insured. Running a steel rod up the wood post as well and there is gate that secures the area. Need to add a lock to that.

Believe me I realize if they are determined they will get the bike. Just trying to make it as difficult as possible. As a bonus the GPS tracker should make it recoverable. Motion alarm might scare them off....and at least the app will send the notification to my phone and I can decide how I want to confront them...lol

Bike would be 100 lbs with chains on....Plus it is insured. Running a steel rod up the wood post as well and there is gate that secures the area. Need to add a lock to that.

Believe me I realize if they are determined they will get the bike. Just trying to make it as difficult as possible. As a bonus the GPS tracker should make it recoverable. Motion alarm might scare them off....and at least the app will send the notification to my phone and I can decide how I want to confront them...lol
I do agree with all these appropriate precautions, but you can't stop a determined thief! We always remove our batteries and where possible take the bikes inside with us. Otherwise, we put covers over the bikes and lock them to fixed objects with unreasonably expensive locks.

Good luck.

Back