Chain length dilemma: Who to believe?

It needs to be a designated ten-speed chain. Something like the KMC X10. Yes, I agree with @PCeBiker that the chain is too wide. The straight down photo is very good. It shows that the vertical is not aligned but off to the right. Get it aligned straight up and down in a middle gear. That means the cable needs to have no slack in the highest gear. Reset the cable tension in 10. Do that with two turns of the barrel adjuster out. And dial it in from there by sound, no clanking in a middle gear.
View attachment 171392
Thanks, I also think the chain is too wide, the packaging notwithstanding.

Should I get a Deore 10-speed chain to match the derailleur and cassette? Other chains to consider? Remember, this is for a hub-drive with a delinquent owner in a very salty and sandy environment.

It is my understanding that 8 speed and 10 speed chains are different widths.

If the chains aren't different widths, then why are the chain links all different?

Screenshot_20240217-194042_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20240217-194115_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20240217-194141_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20240217-194604_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20240217-194205_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Replacing chain is not complicated. I've used 120 links OEM chain was 118 link and it works fine shift is smooth it skipped when I mistakenly
engage throttle from dead stop.
Sram drivetrain.

It's not the number of links we're talking about.
It's the thickness of the links.

5.2 mm
5.6 mm
5.65 mm
5.88 mm
6.6 mm

@Rome can you use your micrometer and measure the thickness of your chain?

That's a DHAG thang.

The chain in the video shows the chain coming off the sprocket squarely.
It's not leaning over. It just goes to the right.

I believe this is even when the derailleur hanger was bent.

Screenshot_20240217-205418_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Jeremy's cluster,..
And this is on a middle sprocket.

20240216_165053.jpg

See this eBay sale:

eBay sale

"SRAM PC EX1 10 Speed or Electric Bike 8 speed Chain 144 Links with PowerLock"

This title seems to suggest that there is a difference if the bike is an EBike. Can this be or is this poorly worded?

Thanks, I also think the chain is too wide, the packaging notwithstanding.

Should I get a Deore 10-speed chain to match the derailleur and cassette? Other chains to consider? Remember, this is for a hub-drive with a delinquent owner in a very salty and sandy environment.

If it were me, I'd get a Deore chain.
You can be almost certain that it will fit properly.

And if were me, riding in sand and saltwater, I'd use a wax lube.
Even cleaning my new chain and waxing it. (which I just did.)

But the original, unopened SRAM packaging said "10s". The sticker added later said both 10- and 8-speed.

The old and new side plates are stamped "D2" and "K1", respectively. No clear indications of intended cassettes, and no online indication of what these codes might mean.

The old and new side plates may be exactly the same, but the rollers and pins may be different thicknesses and even circumferences ?

I'm thinking that your chain isn't fully seated in the cassette teeth?

Can you take a picture of your chain with this angle?
Along the chain, to see if the chain is rolling over sideways?

As off-angle as this chain is, it's not rolling over,..
It's kicking off sideways squarely.

Screenshot_20240217-205418_DuckDuckGo.jpg

See this eBay sale:

eBay sale

"SRAM PC EX1 10 Speed or Electric Bike 8 speed Chain 144 Links with PowerLock"

This title seems to suggest that there is a difference if the bike is an EBike. Can this be or is this poorly worded?

Something doesn't sound right to me,..
Does he offer a guarantee?

Screenshot_20240217-212211_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I'll bet that chain would work fine on my 8-speed freewheel, but it won't work worth a crap on a 10-speed.

Using a 10-speed chain on an 8-speed, isn't the same as using an 8-speed chain on a 10-speed.

I just bought new missing links,..
Apparently, 6 7 & 8 speed chains are the same,..

Screenshot_20240217-220036_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20240217-215750_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20240217-215854_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20240217-215906_AliExpress.jpg

Deore 10-speed chain
It does not need to be Deore just like you don't need only a GE light bulb when any light bulb of the standard pitch and thread will fit like a Sylvania bulb in your desk lamp.
Yes, 8-speed chains fit 6-7-8 cassettes, it is the same standard.
You do not need a DHAG. You can use some channel locks if needed to make it look straight in all dimensions.

Last edited:
It does not need to be Deore just like you don't need only a GE light bulb when any light bulb of the standard pitch and thread will fit like a Sullivan bulb in you lamp.

Yeah, but it probably needs to be 10-speed?
Not 8-speed or 10-speed.

The 10-speed Deore is probably the right chain.
Does Deore make a chain that will work for Both 10 and 8 speed?

Something doesn't sound right to me,..
Does he offer a guarantee?

View attachment 171409

I'll bet that chain would work fine on my 8-speed freewheel, but it won't work worth a crap on a 10-speed.

Using a 10-speed chain on an 8-speed, isn't the same as using an 8-speed chain on a 10-speed.

This new SRAM EX1 is the only "10-speed" EX1 I could find online. Maybe the old EX1 was really an 11- or 12-speed chain. Never saw its packaging, but whatever it was, it worked perfectly with my Deore 10-speed derailleur and cassette.

To my knowledge, the Deore components aren't ebike-specific, so not sure how the "electric" part of that sticker would fit in.

It does not need to be Deore just like you don't need only a GE light bulb when any light bulb of the standard pitch and thread will fit like a Sylvania bulb in your desk lamp.

I bought an O2 sensor for my car off ebay. Direct fit and replacement.

The cord was too short and the connector wouldn't fit.
I wasted $35

To my knowledge, the Deore components aren't ebike-specific, so not sure how the "electric" part of that sticker would fit in.

Remember, you have a hub drive, so it's only your personal torque output that's going to wreck your chain.

Salt and sand will wreck it though.
Gotta do sumthin about that.

Seriously,.. buy the proper chain.
Sterilize it, and coat it with wax.

My brother-in-law took automechanics in the early 70's.
His teacher said that every grain of sand has at least 8 cutting edges.
Sand sticks to oil, gets ground up and works its way into the chain.

Sand doesn't cling to wax.

Last edited:
The easiest way to adjust a derailleur is with the bike upside down. Look streight down in a middle gear and it should all be aligned and quiet when right. Then it is just a matter of setting the limits and the B screw.

The easiest way to adjust a derailleur is with the bike upside down. Look streight down in a middle gear and it should all be aligned and quiet when right. Then it is just a matter of setting the limits and the B screw.

I think that it's beyond adjusting?
I think he's got the wrong chain?
He could probably fix his chain by squashing it and making it thinner. 😂

Back