Chain length dilemma: Who to believe?

The easiest way to adjust a derailleur is with the bike upside down.

That's not true.
You need to have your bike lying down on its side.
That way, when you smash it with a rock it doesn't go flying sideways. 😂

You can smash your bike half way to China and it isn't going to get away from you if you're pounding straight down.

And one might think replacing a bike chain were the rocket science :)
I hope Jeremy you have already sorted that out?

The EX1 is an 8-speed chain:
“SRAM EX1 chain
Marginally wider but much more robust, the SRAM EX1 chain now features rounded edges to increase shifting precision and boost durability. In event of a defect, the drivetrain can be run with a SRAM 10-speed chain if needed.”

You can run a 10-speed chain in an EX1 drivetrain, but not an EX1 chain on a 10-speed drivetrain

Last edited:
The EX1 is an 8-speed chain:
“SRAM EX1 chain
Marginally wider but much more robust, the SRAM EX1 chain now features rounded edges to increase shifting precision and boost durability. In event of a defect, the drivetrain can be run with a SRAM 10-speed chain if needed.”

You can run a 10-speed chain in an EX1 drivetrain, but not an EX1 chain on a 10-speed drivetrain
Thanks! I'm a believer now: Despite the Amazon listing and other evidence to the contrary, the replacement EX1 I just put on my 10-speed drivetrain is an 8-speed chain, and it's too wide for my bike.

But the puzzle remains: Why did the EX1 I just took off the very same drivetrain shift so flawlessly for 1,200 miles? The side plates on that one are also stamped "SRAM" and "PCEX1".

Since I have spare SRAM PowerLock quick-links now, I'll try the 10-speed SRAM PC 1051 next.

Thanks! I'm a believer now: Despite the Amazon listing and other evidence to the contrary, the replacement EX1 I just put on my 10-speed drivetrain is an 8-speed chain, and it's too wide for my bike.

But the puzzle remains: Why did the EX1 I just took off the very same drivetrain shift so flawlessly for 1,200 miles? The side plates on that one are also stamped "SRAM" and "PCEX1".

Since I have spare SRAM PowerLock quick-links now, I'll try the 10-speed SRAM PC 1051 next.
The quick links are typically size/8,9,10 speed specific. Just like the chain.
Why are you torturing yourself?
You gear system is Shimano Deore. Buy a 10s Deore chain.

Back