Tannus Armour now available in Fat Sizes

Tannus

Hey all, we're super excited about all the talk about Tannus Armour on EBR, glad it's working for so many of you. Just wanted to make sure that you heard that Armour is now available in fat sizes, 26 x 4 - 4.8". Here's a link to a little video overview:

Happy to answer any questions in the forum here today!

Hey all, we're super excited about all the talk about Tannus Armour on EBR, glad it's working for so many of you. Just wanted to make sure that you heard that Armour is now available in fat sizes, 26 x 4 - 4.8". Here's a link to a little video overview:

Happy to answer any questions in the forum here today!

When will they actually be in stock?

never it seems, i dont think even one of our members has the tannus fat tire armor even though we have high interest/cant get them

never it seems, i dont think even one of our members has the tannus fat tire armor even though we have high interest/cant get them
Here are a few pics of mine, installed summer 2020. Haibike Full FatSix, 26 x 4.0 tires. Checking out many online bike supply shops and I find severe shortages of just about anything and everything these days thanks to the covid virus disrupting the bike supply chain. But of course, it would be great for the Tannus America folks to chime in to let interested ebikers know when to expect new stock to arrive......
100_4680.JPG
100_4688.JPG
100_4679.JPG

Here are a few pics of mine, installed summer 2020. Haibike Full FatSix, 26 x 4.0 tires. Checking out many online bike supply shops and I find severe shortages of just about anything and everything these days thanks to the covid virus disrupting the bike supply chain. But of course, it would be great for the Tannus America folks to chime in to let interested ebikers know when to expect new stock to arrive......

View attachment 73555View attachment 73556View attachment 73557

Sweet! How are you liking them? How’s the ride? I’ve been wanting to get some myself but they are never in stock.

I did catch a rear flat in October, a 1/4 inch thorn. I run my tires on hardpack and asphalt roads at 20-25 psi in order to get the best battery mileage potential out of the charge, so I'm still susceptible to flats. The thorn barely made it through the T/A, but it did. Repairing the flat was no greater deal then any other flat I've gotten in the past (and for the riding I do, I get my greater fair share of flats) I've tried everything, from tubeless to Mr Tuffy tire liners and now the T/A's and I guess with just the one flat in several thousand miles of riding, I'm happy with them.

Be advised, their literature for the Fat Tire T/A's recommends a 3.0 inch tube. When I recieved them, I got tubes sized 2.4-2.8 inch. I wrote back to T/A about this and they promptly replied back that these smaller tubes worked for them with no issue. Mind you, I do not often run at 5 psi or lower in sand or snow these days simply cause I'm not in those areas that require that kind of tire pressure. But I have questions about rim strikes at such a low pressure with that small a tube inside that tire liner and rim...just something to think about. The other thing to consider is that these questions are raised to a higher level if your rim is 100mm (mine is the smaller 80mm) and you are running a 4.8 inch tire.

3.0 tubes in a presta valve simply are just not out there, either due to Covid or just not manufactured. And no, you will NOT fit your old fat bike tube into that liner and tire casing....I tried! And don't try to ride on the flattened tire. I did with that flat, but only for a small amount of feet when I got the idea that I'm gonna bend my rim if I go any further. They are not Run Flat's on our heavy fat bikes.....

First impressions on the first ride are they seemed heavy, but like everything else we make changes on with our bikes, these perceptions disappear quickly and the bike feels perfectly normal. I like them alot.

Maybe drop T/A a note to ask what their date for getting stock back in, is in order. Some pics of my flattened rear on a beautiful fall day.....

100_4809.JPG

100_4810.JPG

100_4813.JPG

I have purchased the Tannus system for my Juiced RipCurrent S 26x4.0 tires. I have been unable to get the tires which are new Maxxis Minion FBF tires to seat. I keep getting the tire to blow out at 15 psi. I have watched a lot of Tannus install Youtube videos and others that have done the same tires and size rims. If anyone know what I am doing wrong please respond.

IMG_6912.jpg

Provided you also went with the tubes that Tannus recommends, I'm really not sure what could have gone wrong as you have a premium tire there in that Maxxis. The original tubes that went with the bike will not work inside the Tannus liner. They will be too big.

At this point, I do have to wonder if the bead is not damaged from blowing out one too many times. Try using the original sized tube without the Tannus, inside the Maxxis and mount it to the wheel and air it up to see if the bead seats properly all the way around. If so, then you are in luck and you saved about a hundred bucks for a new Maxxis. Ask me how I know this; I aired up a brand new Schwalbe Jumbo Jim in a tubeless installation and it blew off the rim, damaging that inner bead strip to where it would never seat on the rim bead.

Provided your new tire and Tannus has the proper sized tube, you should have had no issues. Other then that, I'd recommend a call or email to Tannus and they may be able to help. Good luck and let me know how things work out.

I have 26in 2.4-2.8 Kenda Downhill inter tubes. I can set the bead where it pops out and then it pops out in another area of the tire. The sidewall does not feel like it has even pressure pushing the bead out. I have another set of Jumbo Jim tires same as you I will try tomorrow. That tire had been on the rim last weekend with an inter tube.

UPDATE:
I found if I did not use talcum powder the Tannus liner did not slide in the tire when air was added. I just finished 2 front tires Jumbo Jim and Minion are both mounted and seated.

UPDATE #2: Tire failed to bead on another rim with inter tube. Called Biketiresdirect and they are replacing the tire.

Last edited:
I have 26in 2.4-2.8 Kenda Downhill inter tubes. I can set the bead where it pops out and then it pops out in another area of the tire. The sidewall does not feel like it has even pressure pushing the bead out. I have another set of Jumbo Jim tires same as you I will try tomorrow. That tire had been on the rim last weekend with an inter tube.

UPDATE:
I found if I did not use talcum powder the Tannus liner did not slide in the tire when air was added. I just finished 2 front tires Jumbo Jim and Minion are both mounted and seated.

UPDATE #2: Tire failed to bead on another rim with inter tube. Called Biketiresdirect and they are replacing the tire.
hi i just ordered a pair of maxxis minions fbr/frf (26x4.) a little concerned with your post, as wondering will mine pop out as well. i installed tannus armour on 26x4.0 on a a Chaoyang Tire and it works a treat. i inflated that too 15psi. my rims are 80mm. Little concerned that you would have a problem with a premium tire, was it just a case of bad tires. would appreciate help, as dont want to blow a good set of expensive tires.

Sorry what u mean,. So where did u get $144 for two as cheapest I found was 115 each. So we're you able to resolve problem.

It's been 6 months and the replacement Maxxis tire has been good. Switched over to tubeless setup about 5 months ago and have had zero issues. I do have a set of Tannus armour in my shed that I have been meaning to sell on ebay :).

Sorry what u mean,. So where did u get $144 for two as cheapest I found was 115 each. So we're you able to resolve problem.
I clicked the link at the top of the page.It said 26X4-4.8 were $71.99. Don't know if that included tubes.

I have Tannus on my RadRunner urban beater. Interesting things to point out. We all hate flats but I still easily got one with the Tannus liners installed. The smallest of small wire got thru and let my air out. It was the front tire, slow leak and I didn't have a chance to try the run flat benefit. When I pulled the tube to patch it I found the Tannus liners have severely compressed to super thin. I run 30psi. Tannus suggest to down pressure when the bike is sitting but I ride everyday. Second finding is you have to run a reduced size inner tube. And every reduced size inner tube is a strange size. Not WalMart emergency size, at least for my RadRunner. I now run a Mr.Tuffy liner between the tire and Tannus so I don't have to keep patching a strange sized inner tube. I ordered the tubes with the Tannus by the way. As far as riding characteristics go I find the them barely noticeable. No advantages like a softer ride or disadvantage like spongy response. Perhaps its the max 30psi I run.

Update.....

My post #7 here, back in December 2020 found me with a small thorn, flattening the rear tire on a road trip. This morning, going out for a 26 mile run, the rear tire was flat and the culprit was obvious; a quarter inch, arrow-shaped stone sliver that pierced the rear tire, liner and pricked the tube. No big deal, best to encounter this issues on the homefront than on the trail. Plus, it was a good time to replace the severely worn rear Schwalbe Jumbo Jim; itself replaced back in the fall of 2019. Estimated miles on the tire: 4 to 5 thousand. This summer, with the US premium fat bike tire shortage in full swing, I had to go to Euro bike parts suppliers to pick up 2 new JJ's. The front tire could use a change out as well as I see some small cracking in the sidewall casing, but the tread is good and I figure to ride this one out until late spring, 2022 or so. I was curious to see how the Tannus Armour held up for all these miles under 25 psi tire pressure, so here we go, some pics:

100_5786.JPG

So this is what a Schwalbe Jumbo Jim rear fat bike tire is going to look like after some 4 or 5 thousand miles, running on predominantly asphalt road or trail surfaces at 25 psi. Pretty confidant to say I got my money's worth out of this tire and to push it further on some long distance rides away from home is just rolling the dice.

100_5785.JPG

Brand new Jumbo Jim 4.0. Since Covid has disrupted the bike parts supply chain here in the US, I struck out trying to find a US seller for these tires, so I tried 2 different Euro suppliers for 2 new tires, (at separate times apart from each other this summer). I have to say, surprisingly, the price and shipping was not much different than what I paid Universal Cycles in nearby Lancaster, PA for the same tire. For this job, I will be using a new Bontrager tube, sized 2.4-2.8 inches, within the same T/A.

100_5783.JPG

I was surprised to find several punctures on the T/A. In this shot, there are two, both near the centerline of the tire liner. Both about a good 1/8th inch. Nothing punctured thru on the other side as well as whatever punctured the liner, not found within the liner.

100_5784.JPG

And here is another. So that is 3 in total here; not counting the actual puncture-thru into the tube as that picture was too blurry to post here. Total of 4 major punctures; one going all the way thru and into the tube. I will guess that one of these punctures I show here resulted in the fall, 2020 road-side flat.

Running my fingers inside the tire carcass found no thorns or objects stuck in the tire, so whatever caused these punctures in the T/A worked their way out of the tire during my riding.

I'm overall very pleased with the T/A's and now, with a new JJ 4.0 mounted, she'll provide another (hopefully) 5 thousand miles of service.

Current Odometer reading, 12/28/2021 at the time of this new rear tire and tube installation: 16,700 miles.

Just installed Tannus on my Fatty and my two Aventon Levels. Looking forward to see how it performs.

Just installed Tannus on my Fatty and my two Aventon Levels. Looking forward to see how it performs.
hi tom, i bought a pair of maxis minion (26x4.0) i inserted a tannus armour into my rear fatty tire. i was also supplied with 3.0-3.5 tube, but have noticed other people using
smaller ones. i inflated front to 20psi and rear with tannus to 15psi. i just wondering is your setup similar what max did you go on tubes inserted into tannus. im quite heavy, but
i do notice wheels dont feel firm, very soft on road, wondering have i under inflated these. can you give me advise on your setup.

I just got a pair of Tannus tire inserts for my 26x4.8 fat tires, along with a set of 26x3.0" tubes, as per Tannus info.

I have a problem with the tube size,
I inserted the tubes inside the inserts, and gently pumped them up, to make them into a round diameter,
the tubes over lap by 2-3" (Z shaped), when inside the tire inserts, I don't believe that these tubes are the correct size.
These inserts/tubes are sitting where they can be gently warmed to a nice round shape, by the sun shining thru the window.

The tubes measure about 78" around their outside diameter, with just enough air to barely make them into a round shape,
and I believe that the tubes will have severe creasing when fully filled to 20+ lbs.

Your thoughts and suggestions,
Tia,
Don

Back