Duro Fleetwoods Installed on Kepler

Argyx

Region
USA
Got the Duro Fleetwoods installed on my Kepler today. Also, Tannus Armour on the rear tire (using their recommended 26x3-3.5 tube).

The Fleetwoods roll as nicely as expected. Have not had them over 20mph yet, and never could get an answer on speed rating from either the seller or Duro. We shall see what 30mph feels like, especially if they run true (I've heard complaints about other fat 'slicks' tracking in unexpected ways). Tougher to turn at low speed though, with the increased grip! Not bad to install, although the CST's with their wire beads were a pain to get off. It's tough to squeeze them in on these rims in order to gain the extra slack (wheel beds are concave in the center, so moving the bead there gains you bead on the opposite side) to pop the bead. You end up pushing the wheel liner all around in the process, and it takes forever, but eventually you can pry the bead over. The wheel liner slides back into place easy enough and were easy to avoid with the folding tires (fingers crossed the Tannus didn't push them away from covering spoke holes.

The Tannus are as painful to install as previously reported. They are super bulky, even wrapping the innertube (I thought they stopped at the hooks). I did not realize they were that tall. Also, the Tannus Armour inserts are about the same diameter as the wheel and have to be stretched over. I am wondering if that doesn't contribute to what people are seeing as compression 'to the thickness of a Hersher's bar'. Additionally, the smaller tube was a pain to get seated. Got it close, inflated, de-flated, wigged the tire around hoping to get the tube sorted, and re-inflated.

IMG_20220625_153827605_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220625_153813823_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I had these up to 26mph today, at just over 15psi. I ended up reversing the front afterwards. There are no direction markers, and I now have them reversed of the only person I found on Youtube.

I reversed the front becaue it was diving in a bit aggressively on turns. So far it feels better reversed. Maybe there are some physics nerds or moto riders that know. I don't think the Kepler geometry helps here either.

We'll see how these do on the 30mph+ commute to work tomorrow. At least it's back to 80F and not 100F this week in the StL (yah, the Lou - it's hot in the Lou :p ).

Ohhh, the Tannus Armour inserts do smooth (deaden?) vibrations a bit. I just have the one installed in the rear (I have a 2nd, but will stick that in my wife's rear Kepler tire). It's not suspension level, and I do have a full suspension XC rig. Suntour suspension post will be here Wednesday! Apparently only riders in the UK have soft bottoms, because that's where it shipped from.

EDIT: commute in to work went lovely at 30mph+ for extended periods of time (a little over 18psi in front and 20psi in rear). 6.4 miles, 16 min riding (22 clock), 24mph average and 34 max.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I am waiting for my Kepler to ship, but this is one of the first mods I want to do as I will mostly be using this bike to commute to work. I have some very steep and long hills along the way, I am hoping the Kepler's motor can handle them. These tires should reduce the rolling resistance and help get up those hills more easily.

@junker, congrats! We don't have many hills in St Louis, but we have some short steep ones. So far the Kepler has had no issues, and I am 225lbs and 6' 2" plus a panier with some support gear.

I will say on the way home it's a constant slight incline with wind, and the Kepler might drop from 30 to 27 or 28, but keeps pushing for miles.

I am digging the silence of the tires, but the cornering needs some love.

I am in that same weight range as well. I have a relatively short trip to work, only 3.5 miles, but this includes a 1 mile hill at 7% grade, another 1/4 mile at 5% grade, and finishes with a 1/4 mile hill at 12% grade. It will be interesting to see how the Kepler does on each of these challenges.

I am in that same weight range as well. I have a relatively short trip to work, only 3.5 miles, but this includes a 1 mile hill at 7% grade, another 1/4 mile at 5% grade, and finishes with a 1/4 mile hill at 12% grade. It will be interesting to see how the Kepler does on each of these challenges.

Yikes! Looking forward to hearing more about that commute!

Also, I think I need to practice some motorcycle turns. Although I'm still heavier than the bike, the wheels/tires weigh so much that at speed I think I might just be turning wrong for how much gyroscopic force there is. Especially with these grippy tires. Something to practice.

Oh, the Suntour SR SP12 Suspension seat came in today. I got a 27.2 to use with a Cane Creek 27.2/30.4 shim (30.4 is is not a popular enough size for suspension posts with no shim). I cranked up the preload due to my weight, but actually might have to come done just a tiny bit. Rides nice though.

Back