Tannus Armour installation tips?

I should mention that even with just tubes these 2.6” Smart Sams were the tightest MTB tires I’ve ever installed. Usually I can do it on a table, but these I had to put on the ground and use my knees.

The Nobby Nics aren't much better. I went thru hell and broken tire levers myself. I ended up clamping/squeezing parts of the tire with tannus liner and did what @PDoz alluded to couple posts back about keeping the tire in the centerline area of the rim since this is the low spot. I should have known it was going to be a PITA since getting the tire off itself was a challenge to begin with.

I'll hand it off to my LBS next time.

there's a line marked on the edges
I currently have the 2.6" to 3.0 " size Armours in a pair of stock Maxxis 2.8" tires on one bike. Both of these tires did not fare well upon installation of the Armours as they now both have serious wobbles from blown casings! So much for Maxxis , I will never buy them again ,even though they handled nicely. I have a pair of 2.6" Schwalbes which are going on next week. I wonder if the LBS boys will have to trim the Armours now ?

Now I'm getting nervous...my sons front is a Nobby Nic and the 2.35 were harder to fit - what happens if he gets a flat track side?

I really don't want to have to carry my motorbike tyre levers on the pushbike, but I'm too lazy to go do a few practice changes without them. I guess worstcase scenario he can ride my bike and I'll ride his home with a flat front? Come to think of it, he weighs nothing - I might see if he can ride on a flat front tannus

I currently have the 2.6" to 3.0 " size Armours in a pair of stock Maxxis 2.8" tires on one bike. Both of these tires did not fare well upon installation of the Armours as they now both have serious wobbles from blown casings! So much for Maxxis , I will never buy them again ,even though they handled nicely. I have a pair of 2.6" Schwalbes which are going on next week. I wonder if the LBS boys will have to trim the Armours now ?
According to the Tannus chart at least, no trimming. I certainly don't have a lot of experience, but it seems tubeless ready tires and rims by design have tight tolerances, fit wise, making changing tires not fun.

You're smart taking them to the LBS.

Now I'm getting nervous...my sons front is a Nobby Nic and the 2.35 were harder to fit - what happens if he gets a flat track side?

I really don't want to have to carry my motorbike tyre levers on the pushbike, but I'm too lazy to go do a few practice changes without them. I guess worstcase scenario he can ride my bike and I'll ride his home with a flat front? Come to think of it, he weighs nothing - I might see if he can ride on a flat front tannus
Yes that reminds me that the Tannus blurb says it is possible to ride home in limp mode if you ever get a flat.

Yes that reminds me that the Tannus blurb says it is possible to ride home in limp mode if you ever get a flat.

I've test ridden my 2.6 and sprogs 2.35 with no pressure / just the tannus in the back - it's no worse than riding through sand.

The front would be interesting, but what could possibly go wrong? I remember a motorbike ride down mt hotham with a flat front (1600 m elevation drop) - it's amazing what you can do when the option is fixing a flat in cold , wet , dark conditions and the pub is about to close!

So much for Maxxis , I will never buy them again ,even though they handled nicely.
You might not be aware of Maxxis e-MTB tyres were already lined against punctures with the "OXO" layer, Steve. As long as you ride tubeless, Maxxis tyres need no extra "armour". (They are already armoured). That makes the tyres durable and lightweight at the same time.
Besides, that's why the Maxxis tyres are the industry standard in the MTB world because they can handle the most treacherous terrain.

Last edited:
You might not be aware of Maxxis e-MTB tyres were already lined against punctures with the "OXO" layer, Steve. As long as you ride tubeless, Maxxis tyres need no extra "armour". (They are already armoured). That makes the tyres durable and lightweight at the same time.
Besides, that's why the Maxxis tyres are the industry standard in the MTB world because they can handle the most treacherous terrain.

I've got 2 maxis dhf's and a high roller in the bin with wrecked sidewalls - each time the stans sealant didn't help , which is why I run tannus with MY maxis dhf/dhr.

Rocks kill rubber

I've got 2 maxis dhf's and a high roller in the bin with wrecked sidewalls - each time the stans sealant didn't help , which is why I run tannus with MY maxis dhf/dhr.

Rocks kill rubber
The OXO ones?

All I know is my LBS says this is becoming a recent trend with Maxxis. The lumpy wobbling is annoying so I am returning to my old girlfriend Magic Mary.

Back