Suspension Seat Posts

Bigal1463

Can someone tell what kind of seat post is worth the money. I've looked on Amazon and there are plenty of suspension posts ranging fro mid twenty dollars to a couple of hundred. I purchased a low end post and it does smooth out the ride a bit over rough terrain, and was wondering if a more expensive post would give me a better ride and worth the money.

I really like the Kinekt 2.1 but its pretty pricey. I went for it over the thudbuster because the springs seemed more durable than the rubber piece in the thudbuster that needs to be replaced eventually

As discussed here numerous times, the Kinekt is by far the best but very pricey. Like with most other things you get what you pay for, do a search and you'll get suspension seat post overload.

Timpo-

It should be mentioned that the Kinekt aluminum version is $249.

Still not cheap, but I've ridden it for one year and wouldn't be without it, having tried a couple others over the years.

I have tried the $35 seat post and was useless.My LBS has Thudbusters in stock so I bought one a year ago,it is very good but for light weights like me 155 lbs it doesn't flex enough even with the light bushings.My next post will be the Kinect or Suntour.I rented a Rad cargo bike for a full day that had a SR Suntour seatpost it did a great job.I could have bought the Thudbuster on line cheaper,but I have a realy good LBS nearby and his pricing is very reasonable.

I have had the Kinekt for the past 18 months on my bikes and have had zero issues with it. The ability to fit the mechanism with different springs depending on rider weight as well as setting the pre-load on those springs allow you to really dial in the suspension effect. They are well engineered, designed and constructed. I have not had to rebuild it with a replacement bushing kit as of yet, this after almost 12,000 miles of riding.

The Kinekt is definitely has the highest price tag of the available suspension seat posts out there but also has by far the most enthusiastic reviews both by various members here on this forum as well as on various bike gear review sites. If you can afford it, go for it. You won't have any regrets.

Here is another high-quality suspension seat post for far less than the Kinekt or Thudbuster.

1569079845576.png

Here is another high-quality suspension seat post for far less than the Kinekt or Thudbuster.

View attachment 38791
It is far less money but clearly not "high quality" As John Raskin said, "There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

It is far less money but clearly not "high quality" As John Raskin said, "There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

Nonsense... don't knock it if you have not tried it. I have personal experience with all 3.
Remember "a fool and his money are soon parted" ;)

Last edited:
I will be picking up a Kinekt 2.1 Aluminum seat post tomorrow. I found a local dealer who has the size and spring tension that I need, and for a reasonable price too. I first searched on Amazon.ca and was SHOCKED to find that the price was $860 Canadian!!!!!! Sold by Cirrus Cycles but they were offering FREE SHIPPING! :) (For that price, they should hand deliver it!)

CRAZY!!!

The US$ price of $249 converts to $330 Canadian!!!! And they're asking $860????? Geez!

Anyway, I was lucky to find a dealer with it who was also having an end of season sale... I'm getting it for $280 Canadian!

Nonsense... don't knock it if you have not tried it. I have personal experience with all 3.
Remember "a fool and his money are soon parted" ;)

Me! Me! Me!!

:)

As you can see, I'm getting the Kinekt tomorrow. The post you linked to, by the time I get it here in Canada would cost me a little over $120. And I'm with @Alaskan on the value thing... far too often I've bought a cheaper product than the one everyone says is the best, and then regretted it. And then ended up buying the one I should have bought in the first place, thus spending a lot more than I should have.

I'll only regret the cost for a little while.

I will be picking up a Kinekt 2.1 Aluminum seat post tomorrow. I found a local dealer who has the size and spring tension that I need, and for a reasonable price too. I first searched on Amazon.ca and was SHOCKED to find that the price was $860 Canadian!!!!!! Sold by Cirrus Cycles but they were offering FREE SHIPPING! :) (For that price, they should hand deliver it!)

CRAZY!!!

The US$ price of $249 converts to $330 Canadian!!!! And they're asking $860????? Geez!

Anyway, I was lucky to find a dealer with it who was also having an end of season sale... I'm getting it for $280 Canadian!
Well done!

There is a lesson in this for everyone. Amazon is seldom the lowest price option for a given item. It is convenient but frequently ebay or just buying local can be more cost effective. Buying direct from the manufacturer not only can cost less but it also helps keep a small business in business. Amazon is destroying local businesses all over and does not need any more profit.

Even better @Mtl_Biker found just what he was looking for at a local shop on sale. Everyone on that one wins except Amazon. Outstanding!!!

Alaskan, recently I had the opportunity to ride kinekt and let me say the built quality of Satori Animaris is on par with Kinekt.

I will write my detailed impressions later.

Johnny Interested to read your write up, I actually have one of those satori sitting in some extra bike stuff that I haven’t even opened

Bought it to set up on a bike with a 31.6 post for friends to ride only to realize all the suspension seatpost make the bikes too tall for all my friends

I had to buy regular seat posts and extra seats for my short friends to ride

That is the only drawback to all these suspension seat posts and something to keep in mind for anybody on the shorter side reading this thread

Alaskan, recently I had the opportunity to ride kinekt and let me say the built quality of Satori Animaris is on par with Kinekt.

I will write my detailed impressions later.

Johnny, thanks for setting the record straight on the build quality of the Satori. Looking forward to reading your review. ;)

I have tried the $35 seat post and was useless.My LBS has Thudbusters in stock so I bought one a year ago,it is very good but for light weights like me 155 lbs it doesn't flex enough even with the light bushings.My next post will be the Kinect or Suntour.I rented a Rad cargo bike for a full day that had a SR Suntour seatpost it did a great job.I could have bought the Thudbuster on line cheaper,but I have a realy good LBS nearby and his pricing is very reasonable.
Slowpoke if the rubber insert you are using on your Thudbuser st is too stiff for your weight, you can drill holes in it. Try one at a time until you have it dialed in. I have 12000k on my Thudbuster and the rubber is not wearing out. It is very thick. I am using a number 5 and I weigh about 155 lbs

Last edited:
As discussed here numerous times, the Kinekt is by far the best but very pricey. Like with most other things you get what you pay for, do a search and you'll get suspension seat post overload.
I'm thrilled with the Suntour. Bought from DE at a very competitive price. Two friends had catastrophic failures with Thudbusters. I support sales of KINEKT aluminum 2.1 Seatposts. Very good feedback, but I'm still hooked on NCX.

Back