Suspension fork differences

Hmm, I noticed that the new suspension fork has a slight flare out on the tube that goes into the headset. Is that normal?
I am not sure if I will be able to get the cup that holds the bearing ring on the fork...Maybe if I bang it down with a pipe?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200916_004517.jpg
    MVIMG_20200916_004517.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 306
Okay, after all this time, finally got all the parts that I needed and installed the new suspension fork. I picked up the perfect headset bearings on amazon...in fact I picked up everything on Amazon. I am still a little nervous ordering things from China (I'm half Chinese, go figure). Going to take it out for a ride in a little bit, fingers crossed.

My immediate observation...the bike definitely feels better riding, in fact, the steering feels better and more stable. It almost feels like I can ride the bike without holding the handle bars like I use to when I was a teenager. The bike rides a little higher in the front about 4 inches but that doesn't bother me at all (maybe this may be the reason why the steering feels more stable). I also went over a few pot holes and didn't get that shock in my hands that I normally do with a regular fork, much smoother and gentler on the joints in the hands and wrist. I highly recommend a suspension folk, will improve the ride much more.

Last edited:
I have air forks ( branded but prob same mfg as Passak) on my Ecotric 26" fattie. Harry said it best, they work great absorbing pot hole and road bumps but are absolutely not safe for jumping or extreme riding. That said , they are better than the RST spring forks that came stock on the Giant Sedona I just sold.
Forks for Fatties.png

Okay, after all this time, finally got all the parts that I needed and installed the new suspension fork. I picked up the perfect headset bearings on amazon...in fact I picked up everything on Amazon. I am still a little nervous ordering things from China (I'm half Chinese, go figure). Going to take it out for a ride in a little bit, fingers crossed.

Any links to all the parts needed? I rather go through Amazon as well... Thanks

Suspension fork - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZG9P2BG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
the fork is adjustable to how much dampening action you want, very nice. Also, the holes to mount the disk brakes fit perfectly. There is a hole to mount the headlight and the top of the fender to the fork, but you will have to use zipties to secure the fender support wires to the fork. I will eventually custom 3d print clamps to secure these support wires.

Perfect fit headset bearings - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HBSJ6HX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You will need to buy the star nut with screw and flange (or washer) separately, it is necessary, maybe look at this... I used another flange that I had from another headset but a washer will work fine

Folding bike stem to hold handle bars - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJV492P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
This will work but I wish I found a shorter one so that I could get more handle bar heights. Also, The clamp that fits over the fork pipe is really beefy and thus will not close enough. I had to cut a aluminum can to make a thin aluminum shim to fit between the fork headset pipe and base of folding bike stem in order to get a tight fit. It works fine now.
9/27/20 Note: I did notice that the hinge in on the wrong side so that you won't be able to fold it down completely because it will interfere with the folding operation of the main part of the bike frame. I will eventual replace it with a different folding handlebar bike stem, something like this...
I reused the old handle bars but will probably change them later because I really want something a little wider.

Make sure you watch the whole video for tips on how to perform the fork change. It is well worth the time.

Last edited:
There are lots of options out there.

Folding setup:
Fork
US $79.36 | Snow MTB Moutain 20inch Bike Fork Fat bicycle Fork Air Gas Locking Suspension Forks Aluminium Alloy For 4.0"Tire 135mm

Headset
US $3.65 33%OFF | 44mm Aluminum CNC Folding Mountain Bike Headset Internal Sealed Bearing Folding Bike Headset Bowl Series for SP8 SP18

Optional Spacer
US $2.84 5%OFF | 1pcs Silverock Alloy Bike Headset Spacer 2mm 3mm 5mm 12mm for Folding Bike 44mm Bicycle Headset Parts

Folding Stem
US $35.20 | Folding bicycle Stem handlebar Stem Quick Release Bike Stem Toothless 28.6mm Folding accessories

BMX Setup:
Fork - Same as Above

Headset

Many others will work. Needs to be threadless, 28.6mm fork dia, 44mm cups. You'll also want to be sure it has a cap, since the folding stem acts as a cap.

Optional Spacers

These go well with the above headset. You want the ID/OD to match the headset.

Stem:

Or any 1 1/8 / 28.6mm stem, but need to be sure bar diameter of 22mm or 7/8. I went the route because I was concerned over bar height with a topload stem.

Bars:

Personal preference, I went with Jet 8.5 tall bars. They were $30.

Bar height is an important consideration when doing a BMX setup, as they are fixed and cannot be raised without purchasing extenders, alternative stems, or replacing with taller or shorter bars.

I left the fork stem uncut so, I can move the bars up or down via spacer placement.
Can u please. Show. Pictures of jow to put on that threadless headset i git the same and cant quit figure it out myself

Which video cause the obea ive seen dont show the. Headset install clearly or just show the bike assembled pls send me link of video or help md with pictures step by step my xp is almost done

This video gives you the general idea on cutting a threadless stem.

The above assembly is for cartridge bearings, but since you bought the headset, there will an assembly diagram that tells you how to position the various parts, including crown race which has to go on the new fork.

Instead of a stem collar in the above video, you will have the folding stem collar. Draw the same line, Go a 2 to3 mm lower when you cut.

Cut with care. The most common mistake is a sloppy cut that does not cut straight, but leaves you with an angled cut, Do. Not. Do That. You'll ruin the fork if there is not enough metal for the collar to grab..

Back