Suntour fork maintenance

Rexlion

Region
USA
City
Tulsa metro
I looked up Suntour suspension forks out of curiosity. Decided to view the service requirements for their forks. Both air and spring forks say "Disassemble and rebuild" every 100 hours. On the air forks, the 80W oil is supposed to be changed every 50 hours.

I've never owned a suspension fork. The frequency of maintenance in their recommendations seems like a lot of hassle to me. Does anyone actually do this stuff for their fork suspensions? Is this typical of most brands?

it depends on where you ride. if its just the road it can go far longer. you would need a seal kit for it too. like our sun tour on our e tandem is fine after 8000 miles. its a air fork too.

Don't sweat it. I'm guessing 0.1% of forks out there get interval servicing. If that.

Put the money you save in fork servicing into a new fork if yours dies from neglect after a few years. Almost guarantee that won't happen though.

A wipe down and a squirt of silicone spray is a happy day for my forks 😄

Don't sweat it. I'm guessing 0.1% of forks out there get interval servicing. If that.

Put the money you save in fork servicing into a new fork if yours dies from neglect after a few years. Almost guarantee that won't happen though.

A wipe down and a squirt of silicone spray is a happy day for my forks 😄
Worth servicing high quality MTB forks especially if doing lot of MTB. MTBers are more likely to notice extra performance from regular service.

As McDonald said not worth spending $100 year servicing low end coil or air fork. Most riders wouldn't notice difference after service and money saved buys decent fork after few years.

In saying that maybe worth servicing airfork before big touring journey. Work colleague's 10yr old never service air fork died a week into major trip in 3rd world country. The air seals fail and it stays bottomed out.

That's reassuring, thanks. Yeah, I guess I can't imagine there are very many people lavishing that sort of TLC on their forks. :)

That's reassuring, thanks. Yeah, I guess I can't imagine there are very many people lavishing that sort of TLC on their forks. :)
Still worth giving them wipe down and lube on regular base. Will keep them operating smoothly and stops rust. See youtube for more info.

Back