Suspension fork differences

Two Sons

I previously posted that I attempted twice to make a purchase on Aliexpress (a set of handle bars and suspension fork) and both times, for whatever reason, my purchase would not process. Well, the third time's the charm, as they say. I ended up buying the handlebars elsewhere but still needed the forks, so I ordered the above fork.
In hindsight, what I now realize is that they are "oil" forks versus air forks. Is there really a difference in the two that I should reconsider my purchase? Quite frankly, I'm a newbie rider with a bad back and just want some relief from the hard banging of the pavement. I have no intention of "trailriding" so I'm not looking for something at the high end of support. Any opinions are much appreciated, and thank you.

Most of the fat 20's sold with suspension forks have oil forks, so you're in the same good company with them. And you won't have to buy a special purpose air pump.

Air must be better as the forks cost more. I think it allows more adjustability. Might not get thick when it's cold. My fat 20 has air. My other bikes are oil. They all smooth out the potholes.

I was interested in buying a suspension folk after having an accident, I hit a minor pothole and the handlebars jumped out of my hands and I lost control and went right over the handle bars and broke my big toe. Any recommendations? I checked the link you posted but it is dead. Any recommendation on a suspension folk for the lectric xp?

Search on ebay or aliexpress.com for 20" snow bike fork. You need to verify that the forks are 135 mm wide, and that the steerer tube is 1 1/8" in diamter and long enough to fit your Lectric XP.

I bought a Pasak air shock 13 months ago for $120 on ebay. Oil shocks were going for about $80. Today, I see one oil shocks selling for $115 on ebay. There's another set going for a ridiculous $190 without mention of type. Probably oil.

This is the same Pasak air model that I have, on aliexpress.

Here's an oil shock for a little less, around $100.

Prices may change or the link may disappear by the time you look. Pricing has been pretty variable day-to-day. Mostly in the shipping, which seems to change between $50 and $100..

Please do your own due diligence on the buyers. I cannot guarantee good results from either of the above. I just pulled the ones with reasonable shipping.

Its been my experience that a solid fork is better than a cheapo suspension fork (as they bounce too much and fall apart after a few months or weeks depending on your riding). Ever ride in a car with broken or worn shocks..?...yeah, not fun. Beware of buying low end units. That is why Lectric doesn't offer one ...because a "high quality" unit would increase the cost of the bike by about $200 and frankly the Lectric XP in my opinion was never designed to be used like a mountain bike...ONLY occasional off road "light" use (grass, sand). Want a mountain bike that's designed for that...then buy one.

I realize that cheap suspension forks are often known as pogo sticks by the real mountain bike crowd. I'm not a trail rider, but these shocks are good for soaking up small bumps on the street.

The oil forks referenced above are basically the same as what you get on the Scoozy, Radmini, Rattan, et al.

Does anyone know what bearing set I need for the Pasik threadless 1 1/8" steering tube?
Depends on the setup your are going with. I bought two setups. One for a BMX style stem and bars, and the other for a folding stem setup.

BMX setup

Folding setup
US $3.65 33%OFF | 44mm Aluminum CNC Folding Mountain Bike Headset Internal Sealed Bearing Folding Bike Headset Bowl Series for SP8 SP18

Note, I didn't test fit the folding bearing, since I installed the BMX setup.

PatrickM, you also realize that the Lectric XP has a quill type steerer tube, and you'll need add a threadless steerer tube if you want it to fold. On the other hand, BMX style looks good,

In the video below, the guy keeps the threadless collars, and appears to re-use the bearings. He still needs the cones and top from the threadless headset.

Thanks guys, part of the problem I am having is figuring out the names for all the pieces I need. I already purchased the suspension folk and am waiting for delivery. Will buy the threadless steerer tube next and bearings. Hopefully, I can reuse the same bearings and fittings on the new tube.

Thanks guys, part of the problem I am having is figuring out the names for all the pieces I need. I already purchased the suspension folk and am waiting for delivery. Will buy the threadless steerer tube next and bearings. Hopefully, I can reuse the same bearings and fittings on the new tube.

There are lots of options out there.

Folding setup:
Fork
US $79.36 | Snow MTB Moutain 20inch Bike Fork Fat bicycle Fork Air Gas Locking Suspension Forks Aluminium Alloy For 4.0"Tire 135mm

Headset
US $3.65 33%OFF | 44mm Aluminum CNC Folding Mountain Bike Headset Internal Sealed Bearing Folding Bike Headset Bowl Series for SP8 SP18

Optional Spacer
US $2.84 5%OFF | 1pcs Silverock Alloy Bike Headset Spacer 2mm 3mm 5mm 12mm for Folding Bike 44mm Bicycle Headset Parts

Folding Stem
US $35.20 | Folding bicycle Stem handlebar Stem Quick Release Bike Stem Toothless 28.6mm Folding accessories

BMX Setup:
Fork - Same as Above

Headset

Many others will work. Needs to be threadless, 28.6mm fork dia, 44mm cups. You'll also want to be sure it has a cap, since the folding stem acts as a cap.

Optional Spacers

These go well with the above headset. You want the ID/OD to match the headset.

Stem:

Or any 1 1/8 / 28.6mm stem, but need to be sure bar diameter of 22mm or 7/8. I went the route because I was concerned over bar height with a topload stem.

Bars:

Personal preference, I went with Jet 8.5 tall bars. They were $30.

Bar height is an important consideration when doing a BMX setup, as they are fixed and cannot be raised without purchasing extenders, alternative stems, or replacing with taller or shorter bars.

I left the fork stem uncut so, I can move the bars up or down via spacer placement.

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_164849.jpg
    IMG_20200821_164849.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 479
Last edited:
I really want the BMX handle bars with the extra horizontal beam (as i REALLY want the main display on the lower level for protection) ...
However I really need it to be foldable as well. Can someone help me with the parts i need just for this change (I might change the forks later, but for now i just want to swap out the handlebars)?
- Thanks ! :)

I really want the BMX handle bars with the extra horizontal beam (as i REALLY want the main display on the lower level for protection) ...
However I really need it to be foldable as well. Can someone help me with the parts i need just for this change (I might change the forks later, but for now i just want to swap out the handlebars)?
- Thanks ! :)
Easy peasy! You just need three parts; bars, stem and an adapter.

Here's my bars:

Here's my stem:

Here's my quill stem adapter: (25.4mm!)

20200809_082517.jpg

And yes, it folds still. However it takes 5 screws. 4 screws on top of your stem to loosen your bars will allow it to pivet down 180 degrees, then the single screw in the center of your quill stem adapter when loosened will allow you to pivot your handlebars 90 degrees to your wheels. Once you do that the bike will fold up just as original. Five screws sounds like a lot but in reality it takes less than 20 seconds.

Alternatively you could just replace the straight handlebar with a BMX style bar, no extra anything needed. With the stem all the way down and a low rise set of BMX bars the height could be just right.

Here's a quick idea, measure how high up you typically ride with your stem extended. Let's say it's 7 in up, well then a set of 7 in BMX bars would put you at a perfect height. Now if you only raise the bar maybe 3 in well that's a different story you'll need to replace the whole folding stem with something shorter.

Edit: check out these bars, they come in two, three and four inch heights. Looks like it would be a perfect replacement for the stock handlebar, no extra anything needed!

Last edited:
what I now realize is that they are "oil" forks versus air forks. Is there really a difference in the two that I should reconsider my purchase?

Actually, it is coil (spring) vs air. The primary advantages of air are lighter weight and generally better response, especially at beginning of the stroke. Really cheap coil forks use only a spring; better ones also have oil damping so the suspension does not pogo. Air forks also have oil damping.

Pasak air shocks are back on ebay at $130. Prices down at the moment. I bought mine on ebay in 2019 for $120, paying a little more than aliexpress at the time to get the paypay protection.

Actually, it is coil (spring) vs air. The primary advantages of air are lighter weight and generally better response, especially at beginning of the stroke. Really cheap coil forks use only a spring; better ones also have oil damping so the suspension does not pogo. Air forks also have oil damping.

Thanks for clarifying. Whenever I used to Google the differences between oil shock and air shock the search returns coil vs air, so now that makes sense.

The good news is the Pasak Coil/Oil shock (have it but not installed yet though) and just pressing down and testing it out I can see and feel the oil. So they didn't cheap out there I guess.

Man wish I had the extra coin to purchase and extra xp. I would love to convert one over to a bmx style. Maybe if Lectric gets enough interest they will build a factory one for us.

Back