Superdelite pros and cons - Worth it the extra weight?

With my first ebike, when I discovered how far I could ride and enjoyed those longer rides, I carried a second battery in a pannier. The finish of the battery was marred by chaff from ride vibration and it was unbalanced. Unless it is well packed with other items it moves around in the bag. Carrying it in a bag rather than having it firmly mounted, locked to the bike and fully integrated is a second rate solution at best.

It is very useful having the second battery fully integrated with the bike, charging automatically with the first battery and being utilized in an even manner, drawing down 5% back and forth during the ride.

Owning a 2018 Delight, I really like being able to carry just one battery and not having the added weight when the ride is less than 45 miles. It is far more satisfactory being able to add the second battery only when going on a longer ride.

Although the looks of the Super Delight are undeniably superior, the lack of ability to ride the bike with just one battery, without having a gaping hole in the frame is a major negative for me. This alone is what keeps me happy with the Delight I have.

When the cassette I have on it my Delight wears out, I intend to upgrade the rear hub to an Onyx with microspline drive and upgrade to the Shimano XT CS-8100, 12-speed, 10-51 tooth cassette and a Sram AXS, wireless derailleur. This is the drive train I have on my Trek Allant and it is the best I have ever ridden, and that includes the Rohloff with belt. Granted Rohloff with belt drive is the lowest maintenance and cleanest drive train available, but the modified Allant drive train I have is the quickest, most efficient and definitely the most fun and has nearly the same gear range. It also has the very valuable added benefit of being easy to work on or get someone else to work on.

Just because the batteries are integrated it does not mean that one cannot remove some capacity. Some bikes have mutiple integrated batteries and one can be removed when not required. Sure there will always be cases where on some bike, or in some situation, one design might be better than the other that is true of many design choices.

On a bike like the super delight, and given the OPs desire to have a large battery capacity, my experience tells me on board capacity (does not have to be fully integrated) is the best way to go.
For you it may be but if one wants to go on any trails that are slightly technically challenging one should have a bike that is better designed for it. Removing one battery from a SuperCharger or a SuperDelite does not make it a true mountain Ebike.

For you it may be but if one wants to go on any trails that are slightly technically challenging one should have a bike that is better designed for it. Removing one battery from a SuperCharger or a SuperDelite does not make it a true mountain Ebike.
It also leaves a gaping hole in the frame. A piggy back second power pack is a far better solution. Also the power pack weighs quite a bit less than a power tube, especially the 625 which is a beast.

If you are going to carry along a battery in a bag, the Ortlieb E-Mate is best for that job. It has a padded internal compartment that carries the battery vertically and separated from all other cargo.

If you are going to carry along a battery in a bag, the Ortlieb E-Mate is best for that job. It has a padded internal compartment that carries the battery vertically and separated from all other cargo.

Yes I find the bike handles much better when I am carrying two spares if they are both centered low near the rear axle.

Last edited:
Didn't sound like the OP wanted a mountain bike. I'm advising based on what i understood was being asked, not what i would want.

True dat but the question of weight came up and I was thinking more about how the weight combined with the geometry of the bike creates limitations. The Moustache would be 20 % lighter. It is as you said thought that he may never want to leave the pavement at all and the R+M will make great long distance touring bikes. Different strokes for different folks.

So do I and it works great using my Ortlieb back rollers. I would take this bike with 1 or 2 spare batteries over a Superdelite . If you compared both bikes (with similar tires) this one will handle better off road ,cost less and weigh less.
Hi @steve mercier , just curious as to why you think this would be a better off road bike? Is it just the weight difference, or are there other factors in terms of geometry (including ground clearance) and equipment that lead you to this conclusion? Cheers.

I see the Moustache weight is 25.5Kg. Of course, has only one battery, but the Superdelite with one battery weights 30Kg

I see the Moustache weight is 25.5Kg. Of course, has only one battery, but the Superdelite with one battery weights 30Kg
Hi @steve mercier , just curious as to why you think this would be a better off road bike? Is it just the weight difference, or are there other factors in terms of geometry (including ground clearance) and equipment that lead you to this conclusion? Cheers.
Hi Jay. No it is more than the weight. If you could test ride and compare a true Emtb you would notice how it can handle trickier passages without the white knuckles.

Hi Steve. I ride blue singletrack occasionally on my Delite GX with Fox. It is no mountain bike and I go around jumps and similar technical trail features (I have found air a few times but prefer not to). It does rock gardens pretty good, just not at speed - or at least I am too old and wise these days to go too fast, especially with COVID going on. I can barely get my front wheel up, and an out of control jump would be pretty hard to correct. I was struggling to see how the Moustache shown would be any better other than weight. A Specialized Levo would leave my Delite for dead for sure if I were racing, but I tend to ramble way more than race. However, I doubt there is nowhere my Delite couldnt go at the right speed, except where it would be at risk of bottoming out like going over small logs. Uphill tight hairpin turns can be challenging, but mainly due to the torque on the motor. I love uphill flow tho! Thanks for replying.

It also leaves a gaping hole in the frame. A piggy back second power pack is a far better solution. Also the power pack weighs quite a bit less than a power tube, especially the 625 which is a beast.
Just FYI, there is a cover available that solves the "gaping hole" problem when riding with one battery. I am quite sure that these dummy covers are available for all models with 2-battery integration.

Hi Steve. I ride blue singletrack occasionally on my Delite GX with Fox. It is no mountain bike and I go around jumps and similar technical trail features (I have found air a few times but prefer not to). It does rock gardens pretty good, just not at speed - or at least I am too old and wise these days to go too fast, especially with COVID going on. I can barely get my front wheel up, and an out of control jump would be pretty hard to correct. I was struggling to see how the Moustache shown would be any better other than weight. A Specialized Levo would leave my Delite for dead for sure if I were racing, but I tend to ramble way more than race. However, I doubt there is nowhere my Delite couldnt go at the right speed, except where it would be at risk of bottoming out like going over small logs. Uphill tight hairpin turns can be challenging, but mainly due to the torque on the motor. I love uphill flow tho! Thanks for replying.
Yes tight uphill turns can be tricky. And yes the bike shown was for comparison to the Delites and Chargers as it has lights fenders rack etc. My point is that the Delites and the Chargers are not true Emtbs compared to the Levo ,the Norco Sight Vlt or the Bulls Copperhead or the Moustache Game etc... I am not an engineer but If you compare the wheelbases for example you can imagine how the handling will be quite different. I just checked and the wheelbase on my Charger is 2 inches longer than on my Game 4 ( both size mediums) and almost 5 inches longer than my wife's Powerfly 5 (size small) No wonder her bike feels so nimble.

Last edited:
Just FYI, there is a cover available that solves the "gaping hole" problem when riding with one battery. I am quite sure that these dummy covers are available for all models with 2-battery integration.
Hi @John2911 I am planning to upgrade to a dual battery model - where can you purchase the covers from? Is this something my LBS can order from R&M?

They are now in stock and R&M call them "transport covers" I have one for my SD but I have not checked if it is for the 500 or 625 battery yet. Its the same rubber cover with a minimalist metal frame inside to click in where the battery would be.

So do I and it works great using my Ortlieb back rollers. I would take this bike with 1 or 2 spare batteries over a Superdelite . If you compared both bikes (with similar tires) this one will handle better off road ,cost less and weigh less.
I would take the R&M suspended rear carrier with panniers with batteries in them over this axle centered rear rack carrying panniers with batteries in them.
How well does the rear suspension work with added weight attached to the axle?

Back