Stromer ST1 Platinum aftermarket full coverage fenders that match?

Husky

I just ordered my ST1 Platinum! (Black, Large) It should be ready for pickup next week.

What I'm adding/modding right away:
Also open to thoughts on my other accessories but mainly need to know which fenders will fit/look good.

I just installed the Jagwire Pro pads. They stop much better than stock but do still squeak (at least so far, they are brand new).

Good tip. My Jagwire's are already ordered so I'm committed. Were they easy to install yourself? I've never done it.

Make sure you're breaking them in properly. When stopping, wait longer than you normally would and apply extra force. Do not be "nice" to your brakes to break them in. Do not come to a complete stop when doing this. Right before you come to a complete stop let go and roll... proceed to stop with feet. I'm not sure how long you should do this for, but definitely your first 1 or 2 days out. This should break them in properly so they don't squeak.

360 Lumens may be a bit weak if you commute on unlit roads. My local Stromer dealer uses a spray on the disc, there is also a breakin method involving several hard stops. Funny my shimano hydro brakes only squeak one time when wet, typically from moist air in the evening. Enjoy the new ride! The 2nd battery is the only way to fly. -S

I just ordered my ST1 Platinum! (Black, Large) It should be ready for pickup next week.

What I'm adding/modding right away:
Also open to thoughts on my other accessories but mainly need to know which fenders will fit/look good.

We recommended this Planet Bike fender set to one of our customers and he is very happy with it, so far. It's good for tires up to 26"x 2.25"

@Gus, are you using the planet bike fenders as well?

We recommended this Planet Bike fender set to one of our customers and he is very happy with it, so far. It's good for tires up to 26"x 2.25"
Great, thanks. These fit the ST1 fender mounts without modification?

I'll likely order these and maybe spray paint them matte black to match. Nice price. I also would like to get rid of that Planet bike logo. Is that a sticker?

Update: Ordered. Thanks again. This community is amazing.

Last edited:
360 Lumens may be a bit weak if you commute on unlit roads. My local Stromer dealer uses a spray on the disc, there is also a breakin method involving several hard stops. Funny my shimano hydro brakes only squeak one time when wet, typically from moist air in the evening. Enjoy the new ride! The 2nd battery is the only way to fly. -S
Thanks for the advice. I ordered the 360 lumen light based on a wirecutter.com recommendation. I have Amazon Prime so I can easily send it back or order a second. I will be on a very dark trail.. in spots. At the speed this is capable of it will get dangerous without a well lit path. Which light would you recommend under $100?

The very bright ones get pricey. Maybe I can add a 500 lumen to the 360. I don't like to complicate my bars though and will already have limited space after cutting.

Thanks for the advice. I ordered the 360 lumen light based on a wirecutter.com recommendation. I have Amazon Prime so I can easily send it back or order a second. I will be on a very dark trail.. in spots. At the speed this is capable of it will get dangerous without a well lit path. Which light would you recommend under $100?

The very bright ones get pricey. Maybe I can add a 500 lumen to the 360. I don't like to complicate my bars though and will already have limited space after cutting.

I'm going to order this 680 Lumen Cygolite http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1NPYQM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UPNX51AIZ0NI and compare the two. Or maybe I should just save time and send the 360 back. Doubling both lumens and battery life is worth the extra $25 for me.

Yeah, disc brakes, hydraulic or mechanical are finicky and will squeak mostly when you don't want them to! You have to keep oil or any kind of lubes off the pads; they're generally the culprit for squawks and squeaks. The rotors can be deglazed and cleaned. Just rough them up or use rubbing alcohol; however, the pads are permeable material and you can't remove oil or lubes that have soaked into them. Resurfacing the pad will extend its life when there's enough usable compound there, but it doesn't change the squeak factor.

Check out some of the 800/1200 lumen rechargeable lithium headlights, search for 'CREE' lights--these are awesome- really light up the road. Some come with Hi/Lo beam and blinking settings and various battery sizes which will determine how long it runs on a charge. Most come with an optional stretchy headband that lets you mount it on your helmet. These guys are sooo bright my tech keeps one around to use int the shop! Ebay on this one folks. Think about it: If a 3 watt light generally means 180 lumens, then translate and 1200 lumens is about 20 watts--You will see the pothole, no excuses! :D

I'm going to order this 680 Lumen Cygolite http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1NPYQM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UPNX51AIZ0NI and compare the two. Or maybe I should just save time and send the 360 back. Doubling both lumens and battery life is worth the extra $25 for me.

I bought the 600 Cygolite a year ago.. Excellent light.. With the strobe mode, I'm very visible to traffic.. Cars back up out of my way, which they didn't do with my planet bike 1 watt. It also remembers your last mode so you don't have to scroll through it every time.

You can always buy brighter and better, but the Cygolite is a great price point, rechargeable and a great beam for bikers in the 20-25 mph range.

I mounted the light on a Topeak handlebar extender, which put the light below the bars and centered.

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-600010...425033690&sr=8-1&keywords=topeak+bar+extender

Also used this taillight.. very bright, but I use multiple flashers in Miami...lol http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-B...bo-Super-Flash-Bicycle-REAR-Tail-Light-1-Watt

Last edited:
I have bought Cree head lamps as Ann has suggested on ebay 8.4 volts 30-40 bucks , multiple units, at midnight on a bike path no external lights very nice. you dont have turn them on full bright or use both unless needed. I use rechargeable units including for the rear. I have a charging area so when I charge my bike batteries I charge everything. Since i dont have a usb connector I also have a spare USB battery which is charged through a micro usb connector and has a standard usb output. I can connect any usb attachment to it so both lights and phone are covered for emergencies.

@Gus, are you using the planet bike fenders as well?

Yes. They are not flat bike but IMO still look good (my Stromer is dirty as hell all the time anyways). I'm extremely picky with fenders and require that they wrap around the tire evenly with minimal gap, which is what I was able to accomplish with the PB fenders.

I had to get creative with the front one and make a standoff bracket. If you attach it to the fender mount on the fork, there will be a sizeable gap between the tire and fender. The standoff bracket I made keeps the fender about 1/4 gap and wraps around the tire perfectly.

I also agree that a 350 lumen light may be too low. I have a 800 lumen cygolite and the 600-800 lumen range works well for fast eBikes.

Last edited:
Yes. They are not flat bike but IMO still look good (my Stromer is dirty as hell all the time anyways). I'm extremely picky with fenders and require that they wrap around the tire evenly with minimal gap, which is what I was able to accomplish with the PB fenders.

I had to get creative with the front one and make a standoff bracket. If you attach it to the fender mount on the fork, there will be a sizeable gap between the tire and fender. The standoff bracket I made keeps the fender about 1/4 gap and wraps around the tire perfectly.

I also agree that a 350 lumen light may be too low. I have a 800 lumen cygolite and the 600-800 lumen range works well for fast eBikes.

Do you have a pic of that standoff? My fender tire gap is 3 inches.

On the PB fenders there is an eye loop inside the plastic triangular doohicky, some clever folks have abandoned the plastic and simply bent the eye loop for a clean and minimalist installation. Front mount in my case. -S

Do you have a pic of that standoff? My fender tire gap is 3 inches.
Modified L-bracket spray painted black secured to the fender with a zip tie. Everything is covered in salt right now, but since everything is black its barely noticeable and puts the fender right above the tire. 3,000+ miles and it hasn't moved at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20150227_152422.jpg
    IMG_20150227_152422.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 782
  • IMG_20150227_152439~2.jpg
    IMG_20150227_152439~2.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 890
On the PB fenders there is an eye loop inside the plastic triangular doohicky, some clever folks have abandoned the plastic and simply bent the eye loop for a clean and minimalist installation. Front mount in my case. -S
Can you please give more detail and pics on this minimalist installation? My PB fenders arrive next Tues. I'll either be going minimalist or Gus's way.

Thanks, Gus. Where did you buy your standoff bracket? I'll be checking Hope Depot if I go this route. Any specifics you remembers on the part as far as size/measurements?

Thanks for the recommendation on Lumens for the light. I'll be starting out with Cygo 680 rather than 320. It just arrived today.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1NPYQM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UPNX51AIZ0NI

Also, I've picked up plenty from your other comments. Thanks for contributing so much to the forum.

Back