Step through for shorter people.

Bcbob

For my first e-bike I have kind of decided on a voltbike bravo.It has the price and features that work for me plus I got to ride one locally so know what to expect. My spouse however is 5’3” and likes to be able to put her feet down. Voltbike and most others do not accommodate this in their lineup. (No folding bikes wanted). The Radcity step through seems to fit the bill. My only concern is the direct drive motor going up hills here. Will this bike go up fairly steep hills effortlessly? Thanks

For my first e-bike I have kind of decided on a voltbike bravo.It has the price and features that work for me plus I got to ride one locally so know what to expect. My spouse however is 5’3” and likes to be able to put her feet down. Voltbike and most others do not accommodate this in their lineup. (No folding bikes wanted). The Radcity step through seems to fit the bill. My only concern is the direct drive motor going up hills here. Will this bike go up fairly steep hills effortlessly? Thanks

RadCity uses a Direct Drive hub motor with 40nm torque, this would be sufficient to get a lighter person up hill. But the RadCity weighs 65lb, it's no lightweight, so if possible I recommend also test riding lighter step through options for shorter people with a Class 2 throttle eg Izip E3 Loma 26" model (55lb), Aventon Pace in Small size (50lb), Evelo Galaxy 24 (57lb), and Pedego Comfort Cruiser 24" Step-Thru (58lb).

Thanks Dewey. The Aventon pace is the only one I can get in Canada at my price range. Bit of a trade off compared to some (no rack,fenders or shocks) but does have hydraulic brakes and I am sure a good quality bike in the right size. Shipping is free here for that one but no where locally to test one. I am a bit limited to the test drive market on Vancouver island. Lots of good bike shops but mostly more pricey. Unless I could try the rad city in person I doubt I will take the chance on the power.

Thanks Dewey. The Aventon pace is the only one I can get in Canada at my price range. Bit of a trade off compared to some (no rack,fenders or shocks) but does have hydraulic brakes and I am sure a good quality bike in the right size. Shipping is free here for that one but no where locally to test one. I am a bit limited to the test drive market on Vancouver island. Lots of good bike shops but mostly more pricey. Unless I could try the rad city in person I doubt I will take the chance on the power.

Please allow me to join in this conversation. I also am researching the many selections of E-bikes, and being an 81 year old male, of 5'3'', with a 27 inch inseam, I too have given thought for the RAV stepthtru, AND just recently found the M2S EXPLORER very interesting, and in my price range. It seems to have plenty of power and offers hydraulic brakes also. BUT, I am not familiar with other qualities, and cons that I should be aware of. I don't have access to a test ride on any of the units that I like, so, I'm hoping to gather the best info from experienced enthusiasts. Would you happen to have any suggestions on this bike ? I would be very thankful for your input, and others. Thanks, Marty.

M2s explorer looks like a good set up. Not accessible to me in Canada. I notice it n has a 18” frame which I think would be on the cusp for 5’3”. You might want to get minimum seat height dimensions from them to see if it fits you. I might order a spark city from sparkbikes Canada 17” frame for my wife. It is online only and I see mixed reviews here but I know a couple of people locally who have ordered them and are happy. Also surface 604 Rook is a nice step through 17.5” frame with many dealers &1799

My wife is 5'4" and got a Gazelle easy flow step through. She can put both feet on the ground when she stops and she absolutely LOVES the bike. It has shimano steps motor which is more powerful than the Yamaha PW system on my Haibike.

Thank you both for participating in my venture. I will look into all the mentioned bikes. There seems to be NUMEROUS bikes to select from, but the more I research, and ask, they become fewer.

Back