ST2 Not communicating with the network

When changing the pins take a picture of your setup prior to removing any. The color codes in the instructions didn't match my bike exactly. Not all slots are used. Besides that use a good jewelers screw driver on your screws.

When changing the pins take a picture of your setup prior to removing any. The color codes in the instructions didn't match my bike exactly. Not all slots are used. Besides that use a good jewelers screw driver on your screws.

Thanks EriderM...did you by chance take a pic of the pins as inserted in your replacement Omni. Their diagram looks not too easy to read in terms of the matching of the pin structure; you must have got it right?

Thanks EriderM...did you by chance take a pic of the pins as inserted in your replacement Omni. Their diagram looks not too easy to read in terms of the matching of the pin structure; you must have got it right?

I had to replace my OMNI once back in June 2015.
It was fairly straight forward. Here is a pic.
OMNI replacement.JPG

Happy to help :)
I hope you don't face this OMNI glitch.

Hi Ravi...I am apparently facing the "glitch" and my new OMNI unit should arrive tomorrow. I am a bit uneasy because I'm going to try and replace it myself and that will mean it is no longer under warranty. I'm 5 hours from the nearest dealer so a 10 hour trip plus gas,etc. has kind of driven me into the DIY phrase. The rep sent some instructions and has been more than very helpful in regard to the matter. My local bike shop would be willing to help me if need be and I have some folks that are pretty good with electrical stuff also, if needed. Hopefully, things will go well. If you have any other tips, please send them along...thanks

Hi Ravi...I am apparently facing the "glitch" and my new OMNI unit should arrive tomorrow. I am a bit uneasy because I'm going to try and replace it myself and that will mean it is no longer under warranty. I'm 5 hours from the nearest dealer so a 10 hour trip plus gas,etc. has kind of driven me into the DIY phrase. The rep sent some instructions and has been more than very helpful in regard to the matter. My local bike shop would be willing to help me if need be and I have some folks that are pretty good with electrical stuff also, if needed. Hopefully, things will go well. If you have any other tips, please send them along...thanks

@smitty ,

It's really easy and I hope you can do it yourself. Also, you will get to know your bike in a deeper way.
There is OMNI removal tool but I didn't receive it and I had to improvise. OMNI removal tool has 4 pins that sit in a groove and you rotate it to remove the remove the OMNI but if you use an object like toothpick as a proxy pin, you would be able to unlock teh OMNI. Once it's loose enough, you can use your hand to remove it completely.
Feel free to message or call me. The whole process shouldn't take more than 20-25mins if you do it yourself.

@smitty ,

It's really easy and I hope you can do it yourself. Also, you will get to know your bike in a deeper way.
There is OMNI removal tool but I didn't receive it and I had to improvise. OMNI removal tool has 4 pins that sit in a groove and you rotate it to remove the remove the OMNI but if you use an object like toothpick as a proxy pin, you would be able to unlock teh OMNI. Once it's loose enough, you can use your hand to remove it completely.
Feel free to message or call me. The whole process shouldn't take more than 20-25mins if you do it yourself.

Interesting Ravi...I wrote the rep about the OMNI problem on a Saturday night, last, thinking that I would hear back from them on Monday or Tuesday. He responded right away and by Monday was ready to ship out a new unit to me. In the meantime, checking his correspondence on how to remove the unit and looking at my bike, I was pretty sure that a "special" tool would be needed to remove the button lock ring which was the way to remove the unit from the top tube, so I wrote this concern back to him. He responded by telling me that the tool did not come with the unit itself but that he would send me one with the unit which I could then send back to him with the failed unit (for which he also sent a return postage label!!). The guy was fabulous every step of the way thru several correspondences between us...and it made me happy that I am riding the Stromer. Given the limited number of dealers in the Northeast, it was very heartening to feel that they are trying their very best to support their product which is a superb machine in nearly every aspect. Thanks again for your help and I very much appreciate you help and advice, along with the opportunity to correspond with you directly if need be...

Smitty, I had the same experience. They sent the tool with the replacement. I could have used even something like a ballpoint pen to open it. The change is super easy. I am or too concerned about the job voiding any part of the warranty. I also recently installed the front shock kit. Bike is running and handling great!

Just as a follow up. I did have the new OMNI installed on my bike last week. It works well and they even left the plastic screen cover on it for me to peel off! I wonder what 'G' of network this one works with.

Smitty, I had the same experience. They sent the tool with the replacement. I could have used even something like a ballpoint pen to open it. The change is super easy. I am or too concerned about the job voiding any part of the warranty. I also recently installed the front shock kit. Bike is running and handling great!

Just finished up and got the portal signal down in the basement. It's a pretty easy job but I got a huge laugh out of my work! Turns out that I took the unit out, sat it down while I looked at the numbered wiring; turned around, picked up the old one and reinstalled it. Seemed to work o.k, but I knew that the new one had come with a thin clear sheet to prevent scratches on the face of it! Yikes, of course when I picked up the other unit, I realized immediately what had happened; so I got the joy of doing it twice with a smile on my idiotic face. The internals are as good as the externals on the bike. The cover on the bottom of the unit makes sure that everything stays in place and completely encloses the wiring pins...beautiful! I was glad that I had the removal tool; again, extremely well thought out and made it a snap to remove the button cover. Here's hoping that the bike keeps running as usual...great bike and I'm really happy with the Stromer folks and their helpfulness...thanks for the help along the way...

3G or LTE.
Hi Ravi...just finished up and it works fine, so it seems. I guess that if the same thing happens again with the OMNI, I'll have to pa for a new unit next time, but hopefully this one will solve the problem and I won't have to worry about it again. It wasn't too hard to do, but read below about my technical skills for a good chuckle...not sure how I did that one, but had a good laugh at myself. Thanks again for the encouragement..lots of real good stuff and people on this forum...

@smitty ,
I'm glad everything went well.
BMC's former product manager is the current Stromer USA manager and his team including Joel and chan have really been great.

A product is only as good as the people that behind it. You can be assured that you get prompt and courteous service.
I'm saying this not because they were one of my sponsors but I have had a chance to interact with them very closely and they have delivered every time an issue came up.

Hope you rack up miles on your new OMNI.

@smitty ,
I'm glad everything went well.
BMC's former product manager is the current Stromer USA manager and his team including Joel and chan have really been great.

A product is only as good as the people that behind it. You can be assured that you get prompt and courteous service.
I'm saying this not because they were one of my sponsors but I have had a chance to interact with them very closely and they have delivered every time an issue came up.

Hope you rack up miles on your new OMNI.

Thanks very much Ravi...while a bit daunting to run into electronic problems this early in the game, that's simply part of the deal in the e-bike world and Stromer is a quality product with superlative service from my point of view. I did a lot of research before I finally settled on their product and I remain very happy that I did. The specs as well as the engineering involved is worth every penny they charge for their product. I'm already looking forward to Spring and putting some miles on.

Hi Ravi, slightly off topic; have you ever heard from this error:

upload_2017-2-3_8-6-47.png

The error occurs in combination with the blue 983Wh battery and temperatures below 0ºC

How was the solution?
(Workaround is: Bring the battery into your flat and let it warm up)

Happy to help :)
I hope you don't face this OMNI glitch.
I had to replace my Omni as well stopped communicating. Ravi just installed Bar Mits after seeing your bike, Of course it now going to be 70 later next week. 8800 miles now. I saw my dealers stromer Troubleshooting guide they were looking up codes. I wish all bike came with that I am worried about service after warrantee expires in May. Thanks for all you do for community.

Hi Ravi, slightly off topic; have you ever heard from this error:

View attachment 14612

The error occurs in combination with the blue 983Wh battery and temperatures below 0ºC

How was the solution?
(Workaround is: Bring the battery into your flat and let it warm up)

I have been riding a Haibike for the past month. I have experienced battery shutoff once because the temp on that day was --22'C.
I'm sure this would happen to any bike with sophisticated BMS to prevent further damage.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure it'll come on handy for those living in the northern states.

I had to replace my Omni as well stopped communicating. Ravi just installed Bar Mits after seeing your bike, Of course it now going to be 70 later next week. 8800 miles now. I saw my dealers stromer Troubleshooting guide they were looking up codes. I wish all bike came with that I am worried about service after warrantee expires in May. Thanks for all you do for community.

Jed,

You're one of those rare ebikers with >10K miles per year.
I'm sure Brett and Stromer team will take care of you

Did you change your bike from white frame to black?

Back