ST2 Battery lock key missing

mstraxs

I Have owned my ST2S for 4 years now and at the same time bought an ST2 for my wife. She has lost the key for the battery compartment and we stupidly didn't write down the number. WE have an issue were her motor jsut starts in full power all the time. WE had this before and the way to deal with it was to take out the battery and reinstall. Obviously we cant do that at the moment. I am loathed to beak the lock.

So two questions:
1: How to get into the battery compartment. Can we ask stromer for a new key if we give them the bike details?
2: is there anyway to stop the motor going immediately to full power as soon as you turn the pedals.

Thanks
Mark

During the lockdown I watched a lot more youtube, this channel teaches you how to pick locks, I got a cheap lockpick set from China and have picked over a dozen locks, you might be surprised how easy it can be once you've seen how they're built. If you can pick it you can get it rekeyed for not too much and have 3 or 4 keys made. Just a thought.
LockPickingLawyer has tons of videos on lock picking.
I bought my pick set here

I Have owned my ST2S for 4 years now and at the same time bought an ST2 for my wife. She has lost the key for the battery compartment and we stupidly didn't write down the number. WE have an issue were her motor jsut starts in full power all the time. WE had this before and the way to deal with it was to take out the battery and reinstall. Obviously we cant do that at the moment. I am loathed to beak the lock.

So two questions:
1: How to get into the battery compartment. Can we ask stromer for a new key if we give them the bike details?
2: is there anyway to stop the motor going immediately to full power as soon as you turn the pedals.

Thanks
Mark
Is that a cylinder lock? It should be able to easily defeated.... and replaced. Youtube is your friend.
A lock smith can also help.

Is that a cylinder lock? It should be able to easily defeated.... and replaced. Youtube is your friend.
A lock smith can also help.
Definitely agree. If you don't find an easy hack, LPL (linked above) sells a tool that makes it easy, you can find similar tools cheaper if you shop around.

When it comes to the tubular locks on Stromers, they are NOT easily defeated. For example, the cheap Chinese 3 piece (7.0mm, 7.5mm, 7.8mm) cylinder lock sets that you see on Ebay, Aliexpress, ect. will not fit in these locks. Stromer uses a Camlock Systems series 28 lock which actually uses an octagonal (as opposed to tubular) keyway. You may be able to single pin pick it, but keep in mind that a large amount of torque will be needed to turn the key. On another note, one other way of opening the battery door is to let the bike fall on its left side :). I only have a sample size of [one] for this procedure, and given that it was completely accidental, I have no plans on attempting it again. Luckily, the only damage was a slightly scuffed left handlebar grip. It did sure surprise me when that door flew right open, though.

I tried several channels (local bike stores, Stromer USA, locksmith) to get the key replaced for my ST2. I eventually broke down and had to order the part that Stromer calls the frontbase. The frontbase comprises the lock (with two keys) as well as the retention mechanism that holds the battery in place. I was able to order this directly from Stromer USA (1-800-819-4262), and it cost $110 plus shipping. Stromer will provide no documentation or technical support, so you're on your own, but if you're clever and can patiently fiddle with it for a few hours, it can be done. You'll have to remove the controller cover, the controller, the internal battery box, and the frontbase. NOTE: If anyone comes across this thread and needs some help with this, feel free to send me a message and I can try to walk you through it.

on 1 of my stromes, I think st1, there is a big nut near the bottom bracket that was removed and got access when the lock didn’t work, don’t know if it was a st2 or St1 and if they still have the same mechanism…

So two questions:

Thanks
Mark
This looks like an old post, but FYI: I had extra keys made for my two ST2s bikes. It was either $65 each or for one pair. I don't remember. . but it was in the high price Stromer ballpark. First set I got didn't work; they had to remake them both. Hope that helps. That's one of the few features the ST5 has over the ST2: keyless entry. But the the ST5 loses brownie points to the ST2s when it comes to charging your Di2 shifter. Every ST5 owner hates the local of the Di2 charging port.

Stromer has a kit to replace the Di2 charger port to right side of handlebar. I have one from them and works great. It also comes with a cap to place on exsisting hole in back of frame below seat.

Back